Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
dpherod

Anyone Ever Add an External Access Furnace Panel?

Hi - We have a 2018 24SABWE trailer. We camped this weekend in an area where the temp dropped to the low 30's. The furnace picked a bad time to stop working haha. Fortunately I had enough cell signal that I was able to isolate the problem to the sail switch, clean it, and get things working again.

The furnace itself is an Atwood AFMD35121. The installation manual notes that if an external access panel is used, virtually the entire unit can be serviced without having to disconnect it and remove it from inside the unit (It's underneath the fridge).

After that experience, I'm strongly considering cutting a hole in the side of the trailer and installing an access panel. It seems like it would have been an easy thing for Keystone to do, but they didn't.

Has anyone done anything like that before? Any recommendations? The existing configuration isn't the end of the world, but it converted about a 15 minute job into over 4 hours because of the lack of access. Thanks!
dpherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
KSH

There are posts of people cutting access panels in the slide out to access the dinette storage from outside. Looked straight forward. I'd search for those posts.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
dpherod

Thank you!! I should have tried to search first.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I would be Leary of cutting holes in the exterior for more convenient access to the furnace. You might cut some wiring, or wall framing. After that you have yet another place for possible water intrusion.

Just sayin.....

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
dpherod

Good advice, Chuckster57. If I do proceed, I'll have to do it sometime when my wife's not home haha. When I took the furnace out last Sat, there are no wires or anything at the exterior wall, but the possible water intrusion is a concern....but not nearly as much of a concern as if I were to screw up our new trailer! My wife just loves it! Thank you!

Tags
furnace