Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #1
mskeyspirate

Question Hose Storage ?

I normally clean my drain hose with bleach and a little Dawn. Is there a better way to sanitize them for winter storage. Or do you just start with new every year ?
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Do you use Dawn on the inside? Typically I put a little bit of bleach (say a cap full or less) in the hose supply end (female connection. Then connect to spigot and let run for a min. Drain the hose well, then blow it out with compressed air using a fitting made for that purpose. Then I roll up the hose and screw the ends together to "seal" it. Been doing it this way and I'm on year 9 with my Apex Never Kink Hoses.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
travelin texans

Did the same as Marshall with exception that I do not connect the ends, rather it dry out completely.
It's what YOU feel that's the most sanitary for YOU is what YOU do. As long as you DO NOT store your drinking hose any where near your stinky slinky.
I've sat & watched more than once folks wad up both hoses, all the fittings for both & the shore power cord all in a plastic bag or tote to store or pull out the drinking hose & shove down the sewer hose to rinse it out then connect it to the RV, that's absolutely gross, makes me sick to watch.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Did the same as Marshall with exception that I do not connect the ends, rather it dry out completely.
It's what YOU feel that's the most sanitary for YOU is what YOU do. As long as you DO NOT store your drinking hose any where near your stinky slinky.
I've sat & watched more than once folks wad up both hoses, all the fittings for both & the shore power cord all in a plastic bag or tote to store or pull out the drinking hose & shove down the sewer hose to rinse it out then connect it to the RV, that's absolutely gross, makes me sick to watch.
Secret is heavy contractor bags with just the sewer hose. I have a plastic crate that I store water hoses in and they are in another bag in the event there is any little bit of water left. I keep my box of gloves for handling the sewer line in that crate as well along with those lift ramps that are supposed to allow changing tires.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I connect the ends to keep spiders from building a nest in it (common in these parts).
Several years ago we were in a CG in western PA. The fiver next to us packed up and we followed them to the dump station. They proceeded to pull out the fw hose from a black plastic garbage bag (the one I saw him put the hose in while packing up) and throw it on the ground to get to the tank dump hose. Both were the obvious dealer "gift" starter pack junk that most folks give or throw away.
This guy dumps his tanks (no gloves), disconnects the stinky slinky, throws that in the bag then picks up the drinking water hose and shoves that in the bag. As if this wasn't enough, he opens a rear bunk door and throws the bag in, untired. Closes the door, gets in the truck and drives away. My DW (who hold's a Masters Deg in Nursing and taught nursing in college) said "Did he just....) I said yes and opened my door before pulling forward because I literally thought I'd lose it. I still wonder if that guy blamed his intestinal discomfort on some bad food later that night.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
gearhead

The new to us Landmark came with one of these. I added a 2nd one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I always use Harbor Freight nitrile gloves. Usually just rinse the hose out with water and shake it a couple times, and rinse again.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Pull Toy

Another thought is to “save” a full grey tank to pre rinse your slinky after dumping the black tank. Then I use a short length of green hose (not drinking water hose) to rinse the hose one more time while still on the honey hole fitting. I then connect the two ends and stow it in a dedicated plastic storage bin with a tight lid.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Customer1

The sewer hose? I don't do anything. Why does it need sanitized? You planning on drinking out of it?
Old 10-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I will use the rinser hose to do a final rinse out on the stinky slinky as I lift it to get all the “gooey goodness” that might stick off. Totally separate storage bins for fresh and sewer stuff. Hands washed before handling the fresh hose. I do drain it and join the ends to keep it in a small loop and sealed. Never “sanitized” it and never had any issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #10
rhagfo

Well on the subject of hose storage there are basically two, the Fresh water hose and the stinky slinky. The FW is currently in a tote in the basement when traveling, the stinky slinky we store in an 8' X 5" vinyl fence post strapped under our 5er. All the parts fit in it nicely.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:46 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Wow, totally missed the "drain" part. I guess it just never occurred to me why anyone would "sanitize" a drain hose.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #12
mskeyspirate

No , not drinking out of it, but it gets pretty rank if stored over the winter, with all the bacteria growth and such. Plus, I figure that the hoses have to last longer if cleaned at least over the winter.
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I've never done anything "special" to the dump hoses for storage. They are stored in a hose storage tube on the outside of the camper. As others have stated after dumping the black tank dump the gray tank and rinse hose with water, NOT using the hose used for drinking water. I keep a gray colored hose stored separate from the fresh water hose.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #14
geeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
The sewer hose? I don't do anything. Why does it need sanitized? You planning on drinking out of it?

EXACTLY!!!!
Flush it with your gray water and call it good. Never have "cleaned" a slinky beyond that and been camping for 30 years and grew up camping before that.

I would also think that possibly the bleach could attack that plastic and cause a premature failure at some point.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #15
goodellj

I have an old laundry basket on the floor in the front storage of my 5th wheel for the sewer stuff, and I screw the ends together on each hose. The floor of this compartment is where all the outdoor stuff goes, like a small BBQ grill propane tank. The water hoses go in a different compartment in a big Rubbermaid tote.

I don't think I would ever want to even open the top of a big garbage bag that is holding sewer hoses. Yuck.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #16
itat

I agree with the other posters. No special treatment is needed for your sewer hoses. Dump the black tank first, then the grey tank(s), then rinse it out with a bit with water using the separate, dedicated black tank flush hose. My Camco RhinoFlex hoses all have caps to put on each end so they don't drip into the Rubbermaid lockable bin I use for all the sewer stuff. When I get back home, I usually take them out of the bin, remove the caps and stretch them out fully to dry, and then pack them back in the Rubbermaid bin.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

For me, reading this discussion of what to do to "store sewer hoses" (clean, sanitized or just plain dirty) inside my RV is enough for me to be even happier with my decision to install a 6x6 PVC post cover UNDER my trailer, insert a piece of PVC gutter in that (as a tray) and keep my "crappy hoses" OUTSIDE my RV. Whether they're "in a tote", "in a laundry basket" or "in a garbage bag" if they're INSIDE the RV, they're too close to things I want to keep clean and not exposed to dirty hoses.

So, do what makes you happy. My sewer hoses are under the trailer (water doesn't "drip up", separated from everything except sewer hoses and that's the way I prefer them to be stored and to travel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #18
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
For me, reading this discussion of what to do to "store sewer hoses" (clean, sanitized or just plain dirty) inside my RV is enough for me to be even happier with my decision to install a 6x6 PVC post cover UNDER my trailer, insert a piece of PVC gutter in that (as a tray) and keep my "crappy hoses" OUTSIDE my RV. Whether they're "in a tote", "in a laundry basket" or "in a garbage bag" if they're INSIDE the RV, they're too close to things I want to keep clean and not exposed to dirty hoses.

So, do what makes you happy. My sewer hoses are under the trailer (water doesn't "drip up", separated from everything except sewer hoses and that's the way I prefer them to be stored and to travel.
This is the next project for my trailer (install the PVC post). I like the idea and your logic.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #19
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Never said my Rubbermaid bin goes in the RV. It doesn’t. It goes in the bed of the truck. Like you, I don’t want it inside the RV.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Never said my Rubbermaid bin goes in the RV. It doesn’t. It goes in the bed of the truck. Like you, I don’t want it inside the RV.
With the firewood, ice chest, spare lawn chairs and other "stuff that touches most of our bodies" also stored in the truck, either while towing or after we unhitch and use the truck as "around town transportation" I wouldn't want a Rubbermaid container that had "sat on the ground at the dump station" in the bed of the truck. While it "might be clean" it just as well, "might not be clean" and, IMHO, it's no better to have someone else's spilled black tank contents on the bottom of my Rubbermaid container than to have "only the family's soiled stuff" contaminating the bed of the truck.

I'd hate to think that my grandson would climb into the bed of the truck, lay down and stretch out to get that last piece of firewood out from under the tonneau cover and his belly gets wet from where I just pulled the sewer hose container out of the bed to slide it under the trailer until we need it....

Of course, this is only my opinion and I won't be sitting on your tailgate anyway, so where you store your sewer hose is none of my concern. But having run the infection control committee for more than one hospital, I can tell you that e Coli infections aren't something to take lightly. Rubber gloves, complete separation of sewer hoses and their containers from any (and all) potential areas of unprotected exposure suggest to me that it's not a good idea to "slip a dirty Rubbermaid container that sat on the ground at the dump station into the bed of the truck"... It won't happen with my rig, which is why I have "permanently installed storage that's under the trailer, out of the way and doesn't risk exposing anyone to sewer hoses or containers, even in an area like the truck bed that's often used for activities that might pick up the contamination....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage