Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
Brantlyj

Maxxair fan install

Bought a Maxxair for our new trailer. Do you use any sealant between the flange and roof? If so what? Dicor? I’ve head it described as self leveling so doesn't seem like it would be something you would use as a gasket maker so to speak.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I would recommend butyl putty tape. If you get the 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick roll, run two strips (side by side) around the perimeter of the fan flange, then set it in place and secure with screws per the instructions. Once that is done, apply DICOR self leveling sealant along the entire edge (about 1" over the flange and 1" over the TPO roof membrane) and over every screw head. If you've got enough DICOR, keep applying it between the bead you just laid and the screws. Be sure not to get "too close" to the vent fan lid, you want it to open/close properly without any DICOR to cause problems.

Butyl putty tape is available at any RV or trailer parts store and a 30' roll is around $5-8.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Johns got the right idea. I use one whole tube of Dicor making sure to cover all the screws and the edge.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
Brantlyj

Perfect. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
busterbrown

If your only application of butyl tape will be this fan, Amazon sells an "install kit for 4.49. Should be enough butyl for two wraps around the vent hole.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EDQQBU..._VzbJDbBZ31DDQ

The Dicor sealant you'll need comes in a few color. Pick the one that matches your existing roof color. Make sure it's the self-leveling lap sealant, not the "non-sag" variant for vertical surfaces. Easy to buy the wrong one.

Here's a tube of it in white:

https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-551LSW1...dp/B003YJLIW8/

Preparing the vent hole for the new fan, make sure the existing butyl and sealant is removed as much as possible. That was the longest and most labor intensive part of my MaxxAir installation. It was helpful to have some plastic putty knives and plastic automotive trim removal tools on hand to aid in the process. A little mineral spirits (applied to a rag) to clean the membrane prior to laying down the buytl was also helpful. Dont use too much though.

Good luck.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:16 AM   #6
Big1

I had the dealer install mine and man it was the best mod I did.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
Brantlyj

Thanks everyone. Picking up the trailer Monday so excited to get to work on it. Got a pretty good pile of stuff to add to it