Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
ND1C

Ham Radio

How many members here are Hams? There are coast to coast RV radio nets I always travel with my ham station and can set up in just a few min
call sign here is ND1C.
ND1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #2
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND1C View Post
How many members here are Hams? There are coast to coast RV radio nets I always travel with my ham station and can set up in just a few min
call sign here is ND1C.
I know there are a few. My grandfather just passed away this spring. He tried to get me interested in HAM growing up, but my Atari 2600 was more interesting.

We would spend some summer eves bouncing off the sky talking to blokes on Australia. Miss him. WB7 BOH
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:42 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I am. KC0Rx. Haven't done any RV hamming...yet.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
ND1C

Ham Radio

there are several RV Nets on ham Radio and some brand or type specific maybe if we get enough we can do a morning keystone Net on HF and see where every one is

DE Jim ND1C
Old 09-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
GeekSquadOfUn

Curious... is this a dying hobby ? We hear less and less about it.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
ND1C

Thumbs up Ham

I don't think it is dying, I think it is evolving. There are new modes of operation and new capabilities Such as digital modes. People are amazed that we can send Data over ham radio. we can send and receive E-mail and now there is no requirement to learn Morse code. There are so many modes that people slide into the few that they enjoy from Moon bounce to Rag chewing. and when the Grid is down and the cell phones and internet do not work the Ham Operator will still be live. The internet has changed Ham radio, We have repeaters that link into internet and back out to other repeaters ect. But the old style is alive and well. We are at the solar minimum and that makes things harder but still working (the solar min is the 11 year sun spot cycle ) The 11 year solar cycle make it easier for rare distant contacts. and what better way to pass time on the road from camp to camp or to set up in remote locations. RV's and ham radio are a great match.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
Stumpy75

N8WGB here. I've done some operating while RVing, but mostly just had a handheld along to listen in to the local repeaters during severe weather(Skywarn stuff).

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #8
travelin texans

DWs grandfather got numerous letters of commendation from the president for ham radio operations during WWII, sending from a wide spot in road little town in SE Colorado while sitting in his little shed out back.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
Branky

CQ CQ CQ DE VA7BNB.
I am a Amateur operator from Victoria, BC, Canada.
I have operated 2M and 70CM while traveling and met some really nice people via the radio.
I haven't traveled with the HF set because of Campground complaints. but I picked up a screwdriver to set up when we get to our destination. Because we tow a fifth, there ain't much room on the truck for an antenna.

...VA7BNB...
Victoria, BC, Canada
Proudly Rving since 1978
Branky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #10
John&Genny

K7KB here. Been a ham since high school and still fairly active in the hobby. I don’t have any radio equipment in the RV but I can remote operate my home station with my laptop I’m also the treasurer at one of our local clubs, the Spokane DX Association.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #11
jbelany

Ai9z

AI9Z here. I usually run a 6M loop while traveling. I have Ham Stick antennas for 10-40, but can't say the get put on the truck very often. Run a Yaesu 857 in the truck, and contemplating a Yaesu 991A for the Keystone.

Joe
2016 Silverado 2500HD
B&W Patriot slider
jbelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #12
Benr

I run hf 20-80 using a tar heel mounted on ladder of fiberglass hideout. Problem is getting a ground. Just about useless for hf. Not the tar heel just no ground. I wrapped one inch copper clad braid around ladder and screwed to frame. Any suggestions other than dipole or mounting tar heel on truck?
Benr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:22 AM   #13
Roscommon48

ka8zzk but pretty much out of the ham business. cellphones are the way today.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:47 AM   #14
jbelany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benr View Post
I run hf 20-80 using a tar heel mounted on ladder of fiberglass hideout. Problem is getting a ground. Just about useless for hf. Not the tar heel just no ground. I wrapped one inch copper clad braid around ladder and screwed to frame. Any suggestions other than dipole or mounting tar heel on truck?

I would think your antenna choice would be ideal for working from the RV. In some of my trouble shooting, I have found that the bonding to ground took a lot of attention. This would be a good point to start, check your conduction between the working end of the ground cable to the chassis to ensure it is good???

Joe
2016 Silverado 2500HD
B&W Patriot slider
jbelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:51 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benr View Post
Grounding to the frame will not give you an earth ground if you are boondocking. If you are connected to shore power it should be earth grounded, with should being the keyword.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #16
ChuckS

My call is WB7TXG... been a ham for over 40 some years now. When out in the fifth wheel I use ...
.. Kenwood TS480HX
.. 31 foot fiberglass pole with wire fed up the center mounted on flag pole mounts on ladder
.. UNUN balun
.. 3 ground radials made out of braided copper strap and I place wherever I can
.. if boon docking I use 102 ft doublet fed with 450 ladder line and old Dentron MT3000 tuner with good 4 to 1 balun

Entire radio package including radio, two 40 amp switching power supplies, swr/watt meter, all in one box with lid and handle

Ready to use when you open the lid of the box

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #17
Benr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Grounding to the frame will not give you an earth ground if you are boondocking. If you are connected to shore power it should be earth grounded, with should being the keyword.
This is Ben kb5mzp. I had the question about ground. I was off on my thinking. I have a problem receiving. Need radials or ground plain. We know that wires on the ground or the air at Rv parks are a problem. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Ben
Benr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #18
terrythetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND1C View Post
call sign here is ND1C.
Terry here in Minnesota. We were planning on becoming snow birds this year but couldnt get it all done so one more winter here. I check into the RV Service nets frequently.

Call here is KB0VFT
I use a end fed antenna, https://myantennas.com/wp/product/eflw-1k/
With an ic-7100 installed inside rear upper storage cabinet and control head sits on my camper table. grounded to the trailer frame, no ground rod, low end clamped onto the top of the ladder, upper end on a 20 foot fiberglass flag pole mounted on car with a receiver hitch mount. Worked 80 meters to 10 using a MFJ-939 tuner. Worked Chile and many more on 20 meter ssb.
terrythetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #19
terrythetech

https://rvsvcnet.wbcci.net/
terrythetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #20
Willie & Bev

WD9FHA here and I don't have anything in the TT yet. Hoping to get something setup before the next trip.

Willie
Willie & Bev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio