Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #1
Disneydogs

Running refrigerator while traveling

Ok newbie question. We are getting ready to leave and are planning on traveling with the propane on. Our trailer is winterized, so do we need to add water to the water heater because we are turning on the propane for the refrigerator? Don’t want to risk burning out the water heater.

Trying to be overly cautious. By the way we have a 2020 311 impact.

Thanks
Kim
Disneydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
bobbecky

If you leave the water heater switch turned off, the gas will not operate on the water heater. If you have the water heater switch inside, just leave it off. Our rig has both electric and gas switches inside, so when traveling and not connected to electric power, obviously the electric side will not operate if that switch is on, but with your rig winterized, I would make very sure you have every switch that operates the electric side turned off, including the 120 volt breaker in the panel, so you don't accidentally run power to the water heater and burn out the element. We have traveled in freezing conditions and used the furnace while traveling to keep the plumbing from freezing, as we full time and don't winterize, but you don't need to do that being winterized.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Suggest you open your converter and see if there is a breaker marked "water heater" or similar. If so, there is an electrical heating element in the water heater and you don't want that on with no water in the tank. It is 110V so unless you are on shore power, it isn't an issue but the minute you hook up the trailer, bingo, the heating element is activated and if the tank hasn't filled, the element will burn up.

Some trailers have a switch on the control panel for the hot water heater and if there is only one, that will be for the propane part. If there is another, that will be the electrical part. If there isn't a switch on the control panel for the electrical part and you have a breaker, there will be a switch hidden outside on the water heater itself. On my Suburban unit, it isn't easily visible; on the bottom left under a pipe. A black rocker switch. When we break camp, I make sure it is off. Just some general info that may not have been passed on when they showed you the trailer.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
Theoldroaddog

I have a Impact 361 which has separate switches for the water heater. The water heater is not connected to the fridge. Leave the gas and electric switches for the water heater off. Put the fridge on auto and it should switch to propane when disconnected from shore power. You may want to check your water heater to see if your is propane only or dual powered.
Theoldroaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:38 AM   #5
Roscommon48

as for the w/h just make sure kept off until you put water in system.

that's it...
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneydogs View Post
Ok newbie question. We are getting ready to leave and are planning on traveling with the propane on. Our trailer is winterized, so do we need to add water to the water heater because we are turning on the propane for the refrigerator? Don’t want to risk burning out the water heater.

Trying to be overly cautious. By the way we have a 2020 311 impact.

Thanks
Kim
open the water heater door there is a rocker switch on the left side make sure it's off with no water in the tank. I have started my heater several times forgetting to turn off the switch there are 2 black buttons at the top that reset the heater . I normally leave mine on while boondocking and run the generator make toast or the microwave I always have warm water. I have 2015 311
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:20 AM   #7
chunker

Don't know your circumstances but I presume you are heading south. It will be a lot easier for you to de-winterize the trailer at home rather than on the road. You'll have to flush the fresh water tank, flush the lines more than once to get the anti-freeze out. Most camp grounds frown on draining tanks on site. Draining tanks while driving MAY get you stopped by police. At a minimum you'll probably get people pulling beside frantically trying to signal you and you won't know if it the water or tire on fire.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #8
ChuckS

its very easy to dewinterize once at your destination in warmer weather. If it was properly done there is nothing in the fresh water tank. Hook up to RV park sewer line and city water.

Open faucets .. both hot and cold and run till no pink fluid.. open water heater bypass valve and fill water heater tank and open hot water faucets and run till air is removed.

What little rv anti freeze is in the water pump and line to city water T connection is minimal.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote