Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
Archergodwin

Modifications / enhancements

Hey folks. Sort of new to the Keystone forum here, but not new to forums or modifying/enhancing my rig.

Been fulltime in my Fuzion 403 for 7 years now, and here's a list of what I've changed.

Removed the 2 'ganged' inverters and installed a single 60amp unit.

Installed 13.5k front a/c unit. (didn't come with one in front)

Pulled the RV toilet and installed a real household toilet. Round bowl, triangle tank, dual adjustable flush, and plumbed in new 3" drain lines incorporating the bathroom sink and shower. Capped off gray and black tanks with threaded caps. Can use the again sometime when I find decent 3 way valves.

Boxed in the furnace, so that it pulls cold air from only the coach living area, instead of the entire 'basement/utility' area and a little from the living area. Created a wood mount for a 12x24 furnace filter on the cold air return. Inside has much less dust accumulate. Works great, and has for about 4-5 yrs now.

Removed the horseshoe dinette seating and brought in a dual recliner couch.

Converted the 'garage' into a utility room: apartment sized stacked washer/gas dryer (converted to propane), 17cu/ft freezer. Computer work station, tool box(s) work bench, gun safe, cleaning pantry & food pantry. 24" loc-bloc foam pads with carpet on top.

Pulled all the carpet and linoleum and replaced with Lifeproof LVP: Living area, bathroom and bedroom. New carpet and pad under the couch, throw rugs and rear carpet from same main carpet remnant (so all matches)

Replaced the 15k main a/c and converted both a/c units over to zone control via Dometic CCC system.

Built supports for and installed a hand rail for the stairs.

Replaced all the 'straight bar' drawer and cabinet pulls, with nice ones that won't grab the pockets of my shorts and rip them, when I'm walking past them

I've done all the work myself, and I have a few pics . Let me know what you want to see.

Cheers!
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
tech740

not to sound greedy but I would like to see pics of all of that. Sounds like a lot of work but very nice upgrades.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:49 AM   #3
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
not to sound greedy but I would like to see pics of all of that. Sounds like a lot of work but very nice upgrades.
No problem .. I do have to find my graphics software and load it on my laptop here, as the pictures are too large to post.. so will have to reduce their size a bit before I can post. Sorry for the delay. I'll try to get some pics up later this week.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
Customer1

Sounds like you have been very busy. I love pictures in general but specifically am interested in the A/C filter mod. I have been considering doing similar.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
GHen

Depending on your email program, you can email the pictures to yourself and they will arrive in the smaller format. If your email has ever asked you if you want to send pictures large, medium or small, then that will work.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
Sounds like you have been very busy. I love pictures in general but specifically am interested in the A/C filter mod. I have been considering doing similar.
Customer1, the filter was for the furnace. Although I have considered making a track for the a/c units to do the same thing...
Old 10-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
Archergodwin

This picture shows a few things.
Boxed in furnace in the back corner. (to the left of the water heater)
Capped off gray intake and vent.
Capped off black intake.
New 2" line for sink & shower coming from upper middle to new 3" line, tying in the existing vent.
60 single inverter.
New 3" line from flush toilet coming down from upper left, behind capped off intake and plumbed around the black tank and out.

Also showing initial external plumbing using 3" abs, and tying in the original drain which was only functioning as the kitchen sink drain at the time.

Current status of external drain is the 3" now comes out and goes straight to the back of the trailer, where it picks up the new 2" line that I cut and rerouted to dump right behind the rear wheel ( also put a trap in that line and heat taped it.. as that is the kitchen sink and clothes washer drain now).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170920_143249.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	24135   Click image for larger version

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	24153   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	24154  
Old 10-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
Archergodwin

Most of these are going to come in sideways again... sorry folks.

Picture of the bathroom when starting to install the dual flush toilet.

And a picture of the finished bathroom, showing new Lifeproof LVP floor and new dual flush toilet, with triangle tank so it sits back into the corner by the door, and the new back splash.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	24137   Click image for larger version

Name:	28.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	24138  
Old 10-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #9
Archergodwin

Installed an externally vented range hood, with smooth/low profile wall vent in the middle of the floor redux.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	24139   Click image for larger version

Name:	33.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	24143   Click image for larger version

Name:	34.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	24144   Click image for larger version

Name:	36.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	24145   Click image for larger version

Name:	38.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	24146  

Old 10-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #10
Archergodwin

This pic shows the new Lifeproof LVP in the seating side of the island. New recliner couch, dehumidifier w/drain plumbed through the floor and electric fireplace.

Also showing is the floor on the appliance side of the island.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	47.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	24147   Click image for larger version

Name:	48.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	24148  
Old 10-23-2019, 09:07 PM   #11
Archergodwin

After pulling the carpet a linoleum, I laid a thick coat of Kilz-Max, which is water based and ultra low VOC... really almost no smell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	24149   Click image for larger version

Name:	29.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	24150  
Old 10-23-2019, 09:13 PM   #12
Archergodwin

Pic of the toy garage turned into a utility room.

Starting on left, GE wash center with natural gas dryer converted to propane (on it's own external tank). GE 17cuft freezer. Hard to see, but wall mounted computer work station hanging from the bed lift rails. Rear is my tool box and work/reloading bench. Coming forward on the right, gun safe, cleaning pantry and food pantry.

Dryer vent is a "No Pest Vent"... dual external door... works really well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	24151  
Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
Archergodwin

Handrail I installed to assist my sweetheart after her knee surgery. I wanted it to be able to support considerable force in case there was a stumble, so I made uprights that sit on the steps to take that down force. The uprights were screwed into the metal framing studs around the door and the window, and were also liquid-nailed to the wall. I then notched the top to provide a 'ledge' for the mount brackets to sit on/transfer their force well, into the uprights. It's stout and works great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	41.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	24152  
Old 10-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
Archergodwin

I'll just keep posting up notes and thoughts of the projects here then.

I chose the Lifeproof LVP, for several reasons:
1). It's 100% waterproof
2). It's got a lifetime residential guarantee
3). It's solid core PVC, and does not require climitization to install. Which also told me it expands or shrinks very little, if any, in cold or hot temps.

As it turns out, it lays down very nicely and can't even feel the seams between the planks, even with bare feet. But, we don't move much either, so not sure how it's going to look after moving down the road. My thoughts are it shouldn't be an issue, it IS a floating floor.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #15
Archergodwin

It really took a lot of searching to find a toilet with a triangle tank. But it fits the 'basic' footprint of the original RV toilet. I did have to cut a 1/4 moon piece out starting in the original hole. Bonus is that it is an adjustable dual-flush system. Here's a link where I bought it:
https://www.rensup.com/bathroom/corn...-corner-toilet

I placed the new toilet on top of a piece of 7-layer plywood, for extra support and durability. I then stained that plywood and applied a strip of flexible 1/4 round molding, which I stained with a gel type stain for polyurethane molding.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:03 AM   #16
Archergodwin

One of the first things done this year, was the installation of the washer/dryer and freezer. It took a bit of searching to find one that fit the space I had, was a separate washer and dryer, and a natural gas dryer to boot.

The one we found was a GE Laundry Center ( GUD24GSSMWW ), with the GE propane conversion kit. I installed it in March of this year, and has worked wonderfully. I am amazed at how little propane it uses and dries the clothes thoroughly. The propane is plumbed through the floor according to local code ( black pipe w/ shutoff...etc.) and has it's own 30lb tank sitting outside.

The dryer vent was another 'research project' almost unto itself, but I found this vent:
https://nopestvent.com/product/low-profile-vent/

.. and as the name says, it hasn't let anything in, of any kind of creature.

After 8 years of going to laundromats, it was pretty nice to sit at home and do laundry, and I really was not impressed with the 'all in one' units I've seen. (Why would it seem to be okay to vent the dryer into the living space? )

Anyway, it has been a blessing.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #17
LewisB

So I assume you have no plans to move your rig, at least other than from one "permanent site" to another "permanent site"? With the tanks all capped off, permanent plumbing, installations in the garage, etc. it sort of looks like you have used an RV as a base for "building a cabin".

That's not intended to be the least bit critical! What you have done is great. And there is a bunch of useful information in your posts. Thanks for all that. I just wonder if some of the mods would work for the typical RV'er that moves from site to site or boondocks on a regular basis and considers all that as "camping" and "travel". Then there is the issue of GVWR related to moving over the highway...etc.

Anyway, thanks for the information.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:50 AM   #18
travelin texans

So you plumbed the grey into the black? Not sure why?
Also not sure why a residential toilet?
With the hard piping for your 3" drain does that mean you've bypassed the black tank & leave the drains open? If you didn't bypass the tank & leave the valve open is a recipe for a "poop pyramid" under the toilet, not a pleasant problem to cure.
Mods all look good, well executed, but now it appears not very mobile & very heavy for any lengthy travel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

The mods, IMHO, change the design of the OP's toy hauler from being a "mobile, self contained toy hauler" to a "destination trailer" no longer capable of "self contained travel". Many of the modifications have likely changed the weight/balance of the trailer, possibly causing it to be overweight on parts of the chassis, violating axle weight maximums or tire maximums.

While it better serves the OP's purpose, it loses a part of the mobility that is a significant reason for selecting a "self contained toy hauler". If "form and function" are used as selection criteria, I'd pose (to myself) the question: Is the initial choice of a toy hauler the best choice for this application? Of course, my input isn't important and I'm not selecting or using the OP's trailer.

There are some "thought provoking modifications" that make sense to apply in other situations and some "can't do this and remain self-contained modifications" that aren't possible in a trailer that must remain mobile and self contained"... In other words, some of the OP's ideas are great for most of us while some are so specialized that few (if any) could incorporate them in their RV.

If it works for him and doesn't pose an environmental or safety hazard to the public, then that's pretty much all that matters, unless he elects to put it on the road behind a tow vehicle. Then, it needs to meet all the safety requirements imposed on every travel trailer of its design. Ultimately, that's the only "impact it has on the public"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:35 AM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergodwin View Post
Most of these are going to come in sideways again... sorry folks.
I've figured out that the secret is that the forum software absolutely insists on rotating all photos to landscape orientation whether you wanted that or not. The only way to ensure your photos come out right-side-up is either to crop them wider than they are tall, or (if that would remove important content) to add a white tag-ear on the right side to create phony width.

Tags
mod