Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2023, 06:02 AM   #1
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Montana 3901RK Heads UP

FYI: Theater seating is not fixed and can slide causing it to come in contact with the molding on the kitchen half-wall. In this case the molding was splintered as the chair was returned to the upright position.

Also, the furniture will slide into the path of the opposing slides which, when closed, will crush the seating and or damage the slides.

Shame on Keystone and the design staff.

This picture (pardon the orientation) shows the furniture moved slightly away from the kitchen half wall to allow clearance and permit the chair to recline. Unfortunately, now the furniture is in the path of the slide out. Forget about this when closing the slides and "SQUASH".
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230926_122301.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	45268

This picture shows what happens to the kitchen half wall molding when the furniture is held tight to the wall and out of harms way of the opposing slide outs.

Name:	20230926_121719.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	45269

Try sliding the seating in either direction and it will come apart at the console.

Oh what fun it is to own a Keystone Montana 3901RK.

Be well and safe travels. Your friend and mine,

John
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:38 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you discussed this with Keystone? If so, what did they say?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:51 AM   #3
Camping family

You can bolt it down. That’s what I had them do with mine
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:52 AM   #4
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Have you discussed this with Keystone? If so, what did they say?

No JRJH, With my 50 years of experience in RVing, I do not see the need to "add salt to injury" and I think I am correct in saying contacting "Keystone" will only cause us more grief. Plus having read the "warranty info" and seeing "Keystone Buyers" need read the "warranty info" before buying any "Keystone" product, pretty much sums up, I will be heading to "Lowes" for a piece of molding and hopefully a matching solid stain.

Not trying to be sarcastic, I know the rules when buying an RV. It is all about "Murphy's Law", so no matter the price, year or model, RVers need to expect things to go wrong.

If my problem is the worst case scenario for us, I shall be a "happy camper".

My initial post is to alert other 3901RK owners/buyers of the theatre seating not being secured and the damage that can occur if they are not careful.

Be well and safe travels, your friend and mine,

John
Old 09-27-2023, 10:57 AM   #5
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
You can bolt it down. That’s what I had them do with mine
Hello Camping Family and thank you for your response.

My post is to alert others of the problem we encountered in hope of preventing others of having a major problem especially when closing the opposing slide outs.

Be well, safe travels, your friend and mine,

John.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:25 AM   #6
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Check em before you fold em.... for storage or travel.

We were reviewing the slide adjustment directions when we found the wire harness caught on the slide adjustment. The wire insulation is damaged but easy repair.

Just very lucky this was found before the slide was closed.

This was found on a 2023 Montana 5er. Yep same one as above with the theater seating issue.

Oh what fun it is to own a RV.

Be well and safe travels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230928_152335.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	45301   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230928_152343.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	45302   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230928_152812.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	45303  
Old 03-31-2024, 08:08 AM   #7
Andrea&GeorgeSchrader

We have had the same thing happen ��
24 3901RK
Andrea&GeorgeSchrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 08:55 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea&GeorgeSchrader View Post
We have had the same thing happen ��
24 3901RK
What "same thing" ??? Are you talking about the theater seat movement and molding damage or the slide adjustment nut/wiring harness ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-02-2024, 01:51 PM   #9
77chev

Thanks for the heads up our new 5th wheel has the same seating set up will definitely address problem.
77chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 04:32 PM   #10
foldbak

I'll be checking mine. Question, why is the nylon jam nut loose?

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 02:33 AM   #11
Mikendebbie

Foldback - there should be a “gap” between the nuts for adjustment of the in & out stop points.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1816.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	46575  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:32 AM   #12
foldbak

Thanks Mike. I just watched the Lippert adjustment video. I have electric slides which adjust differently. The hydraulics if improperly adjusted can over stroke as where the electric slides can't Makes sense.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:37 AM   #13
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vacation View Post

FYI: Theater seating is not fixed and can slide causing it to come in contact with the molding on the kitchen half-wall. In this case the molding was splintered as the chair was returned to the upright position.

Also, the furniture will slide into the path of the opposing slides which, when closed, will crush the seating and or damage the slides.

Shame on Keystone and the design staff.

This picture (pardon the orientation) shows the furniture moved slightly away from the kitchen half wall to allow clearance and permit the chair to recline. Unfortunately, now the furniture is in the path of the slide out. Forget about this when closing the slides and "SQUASH".
Attachment 45268

This picture shows what happens to the kitchen half wall molding when the furniture is held tight to the wall and out of harms way of the opposing slide outs.
Attachment 45269

Try sliding the seating in either direction and it will come apart at the console.

Oh what fun it is to own a Keystone Montana 3901RK.

Be well and safe travels. Your friend and mine,

John
Thanks for this head's up! I just checked mine and it is screwed down two places in front. This is the first time that checking it has actually shown it to be good to go. There have been at least 5 other things that were in fact bad in mine. I appreciate you putting this on here.

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Godzilla
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:08 PM   #14
rhagfo

interesting, we have a love seat, chair, and foot stool, none of which are secured to floor or wall, and don't have issues with them moving when traveling.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:22 AM   #15
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
interesting, we have a love seat, chair, and foot stool, none of which are secured to floor or wall, and don't have issues with them moving when traveling.
Similar here, when we removed the trifold and installed the theater recliners, I asked the forum about securing the recliners and was told to just set them down, since the fridge is in front of them in the slide they wouldn't go anywhere. That guidance was correct, the recliners have never strayed while towing.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:01 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

When you consider where the frame members are in the slide walls and where the frame is located in most furniture pieces, they will SELDOM "match up" to allow "frame to frame attachment points"... Then, to make the issue even more complex, remove the existing furniture and install something different, don't expect the frames to match the same.....

Then, consider that "running screws through the pleather" or "adding a strip to the wall so you can attach that to the new sofa frame" just aren't aesthetically pleasing" and usually something few people want to "rig to their RV walls"...

So, what do you do? Most will "do a trial" and see if they even need to secure the furniture to the walls or floor. And, of those, only a small handful see any need to secure the furniture. Of those, nearly all find that just screwing a small "retaining block to the floor in front of the front legs" is all that's needed to keep the furniture from sliding or moving slightly.

When you step back and look at the "big picture", even the OEM retaining screws (2) through the upper back corners and two screws through the front legs WILL NOT keep the sofa in place through a trailer roll-over or a significant sudden deceleration from an accident. So, there's not any trailer built, that I know of, that "secures RV furniture the way seats in a motorhome are secured. And, the motorhome seats equipped with seat belts are not built the same as the seating in an unoccupied trailer.

Like most, I've never experienced any significant movement of any large furniture piece in any trailer I've owned. Then, I'd ask: Do you really want a 300 pound theater seating sectional bolted to the wall and every bump the trailer experiences pulls against the aluminum structure in the slide, potentially stressing or breaking the welds that hold it together ????

Really, when considering all the potentials, maybe not bolting it to the slide walls is the better choice over having to reweld the aluminum studs along the slide perimeter ????? YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
montana