Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2023, 07:43 AM   #1
Rockb

How long to get reply from Keystone

I purchased a new TT. Less than a month later I noticed a couple issues and took it to the dealer to have them resolved. That was 2 weeks ago and they say they are still waiting to hear back from Keystone to approve the warranty work.

Is this normal?
Rockb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 07:54 AM   #2
Balvar24

Couple of years ago, I had some minor warranty issues. I went thru the Keystone website and they got back with me within a day or two on both. I used an online chat portal for at least one interaction. My local dealer was kind of a loser.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:17 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I would suspect your dealer is the issue as Balvar24 alluded to. Whether they have written it up, submitted it or even done so properly would be anyone's guess. I would ask them to see what they submitted to Keystone and when. If in fact they did you can take that info and contact Keystone yourself.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 09:13 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Many, maybe even most dealers will schedule a service appointment and "try" to work the trailer in on the day of the appointment. That said, there are dealers who will schedule a service appointment and might not get a technician to even look at the trailer for a week or two AFTER the scheduled appointment. Then, a day (maybe a week) for the technician to document what he found, another day (or week) for the service writer to send it to Keystone for approval. Then a day (or week) for Keystone to respond, then another day (or week) for the "dealer warranty monitor" to get the approval to the service writer, then another day (or week) for the service writer to get the work on the schedule, then another day (or week or more) for that work to actually occur, then another day (or week) for the tech to complete the paperwork and for someone to "check his work" and another day (or week) for the service writer to call you with the message that your trailer is ready for pickup, with the added note that they'd like you to pick it up ASAP because they're busy and need the space for another customer's trailer.....

Take a note of the "days" that turn into "weeks" in the above comment !!!!! Typically, it's the "weeks in parenthesis" more often than the "days they promise you"......

As recommended, give Keystone a call and see if your dealer has even requested a warranty authorization for your trailer......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:06 PM   #5
SargeW

My dealer took 2 weeks to get approval from Keystone to "tighten the cable on the slideout". No parts, just turn a wrench. Many repairs, even simple ones fall through the cracks at the dealer service dept.

The last time at my dealer the service writer told me that each service writer (there are 4) are handling 50-55 different RV's. Yeah, you can get put on "forget" real easy.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:27 PM   #6
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockb View Post
I purchased a new TT. Less than a month later I noticed a couple issues and took it to the dealer to have them resolved. That was 2 weeks ago and they say they are still waiting to hear back from Keystone to approve the warranty work.

Is this normal?
If you are dealing with the selling dealer, I’d ask them to fix the problem, then let them haggle with Keystone to get paid.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:07 AM   #7
Rockb

After I called Keystone and found that they had reviewed the issues a week and a half earlier I contacted the dealer and asked for an update and miraculously they had just heard back from Keystone.

Three weeks later Finally got the trailer back from the dealer. Slide alignment which was technically covered by the warranty (don't know why it would not be) was resolved but the solar panel issue was not.

Dealer said the charge controller was bad, that they replaced it, and all was operational. When I got it home I pulled up the controller app on my phone and it still showed 0 watts. This is in Florida, at noon, on a day with full sun.

So I went out and removed the PV wires from the controller and tested. Meter showed -38 volts. I suspect that the folks at the dealer hooked the new controller up the same way that Keystone did but did not fire up the app to make sure that the controller was getting proper voltage.

When I plugged the PV+ wire into the controller port marked PV+ and the PV- wire into the controller port marked PV- I can read voltage with my multimeter at the controller and the Victron app shows wattage on the panels.

I bought a new trailer so I would not have to troubleshoot things like this myself but I guess that is the way the world works now.
Rockb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:00 AM   #8
SargeW

Unfortunately just because a tech works at a RV dealership doesn't mean anything. I have had quite a circus trying to get a loose power cord issue resolved. After weeks of back and forth, and two attempts by the dealer, I finally did it myself. (I think that is the real motive to start with).

I am now dealing with a converter issue with trailer that relates to the solar charging system. I have noted twice now while dry camping that the solar doesn't charge correctly when being powered by AC or generator.

After doing some research and then contacting the converter manufacturer, WFCO, they determined that in order for my converter to correctly charge the lithium batteries the converter needs to be shipped to them for a firmware update. As it is right now the converter won't charge over 13.6 volts. The Dragonfly lithium's (Battle Born) need to be charged from 14.4 to 14.6 volts.

After a discussion with Battle Born tech support, they informed me that continual charging the batteries without the propper voltage will damage them. So my converter will be making a trip to Elkhart and back.

The possibility of my dealer knowing, or acting on this issue in a timely manner is about zero. And it would take several months to handle it, if they would even try.

Welcome to RVing.....
Old 08-31-2023, 04:03 PM   #9
LadyCPA

dealership horror story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockb View Post

Is this normal?
We have contacted Keystone direct FREQUENTLY and they are always more than responsive. The dealership we bought from- not so much. The RV started with recalls that we were waiting for the new awning to come into the dealership. Then a major roof leak which means we pretty much took the RV to the dealer next day to get it under cover. December 2022 BTW- we had possession of the unit less than 10 weeks. Well, 3 months later, and the first planned outing coming up in March, my hubby pretty much threatened the dealership if they didn't have it ready to pick up mid week. He picked it up. It just went downhill. They had not replaced one of the awnings under recall, they didn't put the awning lights up on the awning under warranty. And to top it off, they STOLE the TV out of the bedroom and the remote control. Trust me, the story gets worse when we returned it to the dealership to get the next recall, and the tv replaced.
Keystone has been great. Told us since our dealership was more than 80 miles away, they would pay for the mobile technician of our choice to come make the repairs.
It has not been a keystone issue thus far, but don't know about the experience of other.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 10:39 PM   #10
Nomadic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Many, maybe even most dealers will schedule a service appointment and "try" to work the trailer in on the day of the appointment. That said, there are dealers who will schedule a service appointment and might not get a technician to even look at the trailer for a week or two AFTER the scheduled appointment. Then, a day (maybe a week) for the technician to document what he found, another day (or week) for the service writer to send it to Keystone for approval. Then a day (or week) for Keystone to respond, then another day (or week) for the "dealer warranty monitor" to get the approval to the service writer, then another day (or week) for the service writer to get the work on the schedule, then another day (or week or more) for that work to actually occur, then another day (or week) for the tech to complete the paperwork and for someone to "check his work" and another day (or week) for the service writer to call you with the message that your trailer is ready for pickup, with the added note that they'd like you to pick it up ASAP because they're busy and need the space for another customer's trailer.....

Take a note of the "days" that turn into "weeks" in the above comment !!!!! Typically, it's the "weeks in parenthesis" more often than the "days they promise you"......

As recommended, give Keystone a call and see if your dealer has even requested a warranty authorization for your trailer......
Yep dropped mine off, they had it for a month. I had to rent an apartment through Airbnb. Cost me a couple grand. Not one single thing got fixed on my RV. I called them the Friday before picking it up that Monday. I'm positive they didn't even work on it until then. So they had it for a month and didn't fix anything. Actually damaged worse
Nomadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:45 AM   #11
SargeW

I would like to say that your experience was not common, but unfortunately it is. The really good experiences are much more rare. And that is for all brands, and most repair shops.

Tags
keystone