Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #201
Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADuv View Post
Does anyone have the dimensions on this ladder?
the sides are made of 1x3x4 (I bought 1x3x8 and cut in half) The
rungs are dowl rods that are 1 3/8 diameter and I used a hole saw to counter sink
the rods in the inside. Then predrilled the holes for the lag screws.
The ladder is 24 " wide.
I kept it long so you can use it on both bunks.
The hooks I made from bending plates into shape with a bench vice.
Then I black taped them.
I put felt on the ends I rounded off to keep it from tearing up the floor
and bottom bunk.
Then I stained it to sort of match.
I hope this helps

I have pics in an album but can't get them attached.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #202
Weber

Has anyone had issues keeping the camper cool during hot days at the camp ground? The ac is blowing cold air but just can not keep the coach cool. All shades are closed and I closed the vents( I thought the max air would let the hot air out the top) today the coach was 80. It was only 84-87 outside. Unit was not frozen up. dripping and running like normal. Just not moving enough of the cold air around.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:28 AM   #203

Anyone have a link to a lighted switch that matches the ones in the panel for the interior lights. I'm looking for one that is lit all the time, off position as well. I want to replace the pendant light switch with it so it's easy to see when entering the camper in the dark. I know they make these type, I had some in a previous camper. I have found the ones that are illuminated in the on position. And found some 110 that are illuminated full time. Looking for 12v always illuminated same size and style as what in the panel now.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #204
bgilsrud

336 bhs mods

Any advice on the gray tank drain that's half under the coach? What other mods are must do? Just picked up our 2017 model .
bgilsrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:58 AM   #205
GADuv

Would anyone know what the PSI rating is on the wheels?
GADuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #206
bgilsrud

Mods 336bhs

Let's see some pics of your mods done to the 336hbs!
Old 07-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #207
Chaz55

Hello all.....new to the forum and it's scary to read this thread! Seems we all have the same problems! Where have I been for the last year?

We upgraded to a 2015 cougar 336 BHS and after 8 trips and about 8,000 miles here's my list of problems:

1- bunk house door......yeah sometimes it closes....sometimes it don't. Level or not level.....it don't make a difference. I've given up on adjusting it! It's obviously the frame of the Rv torquing in certain circumstances.

2- rather serious....horrible braking.....which dealer blamed on my truck, turned out to be a broken brake cable which actually only had one tire receiving the brake signal from the truck. Easy fix but really scary. Please look under your Rv to see just how exposed the electric brake wiring really is. Accidentally running over a small branch in a campground could easily disable the brakes on these rigs.

3- spare tire.....piss poor location unless you plan on using it to help with problem #2! Great for decorating your new asphalt driveway with deep grooves! Hence, rewelded and adjusted.......to drag less. Still not perfect. Tried a set of steel drag wheels on the bumper.

4- plastic compartment latch on outdoor kitchen shattered. Why? Because it's plastic crap. Just out of warranty....replaced for $20.

5- just noticed the awning pulling away from the sidewall of the unit. Looks like too much tension on the fabric when fully retracted has pulled 6 inches of material off the Rv wall......back to dealer for this one!

6- zone c of the entertainment system took a permanent vacation! The outdoor speakers might be junk but they still work when isolated...wiring has continuity...no output from head unit. Phone calls necessary for this one!

7- leveling system times out on auto level, gives LF jack problem code or other random error. The Lippert manual is useless! I just reboot it and try again. Manual leveling is much more reliable.

8- yeah....no tank on the outdoor kitchen sink.....just an inconvenience. We camp a lot on the beach soooo it accidentally gets left open often as I just was my hands while using the bbq

9- broken slide on drawer in bunk hose. Prob from the kids. Two new screws solved the problem till the crappy press board cabinetry falls apart.

10- random screw pops after round trip from Ny to Florida. Expected I guess.

Overall, the family loves the new Rv. Yeah, few small problems but we are 7"camping so who really cares. A bad day in the camper is better than a good
day at work.

I'm looking to upgrade the vent above the kitchen sink. I'm done putting my daughter on my shoulders to crank open the vent. Is there electric in the ceiling there? I wanna swap it with a ventastic remote controlled fan / vent.

Only upgrade so far has been LED lighting down the underside of the rig from front to back. Wired it to the porch light switch. It looks crazy at night. And put in a three way valve by the water hook up / water pump to make winterizing a breeze. Turn the valve and the pump pulls antifreeze from a 16 inch tube I put in a gallon of the pink junk. Done in 10 min!

Looking forward to learning from everyone on the forum. Thanks in advance!
Charles
Chaz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:46 AM   #208
nellie1289

Charles, thank you for your quality report. yes, many of those problems are common. the awning and bunk house door definitely got me. I will say this the problems have definitely subsided, so that is good. About to get in and go for a ride now! hopefully it will be a stress free camping weekend.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #209
nellie1289

One more thing I would recommend owners do is definitely ALWAYS CHECK your cabinet doors before opening slides before you open them. I will tell you that they seem to want to pop open on me, and the bunk house is especially problematic. I now put Velcro fasteners on the doors to keep them together during travel just in case they want to pop open. if the ones open above the rear tv during motion its nearly impossible to get them closed without a tiny child crawling back there before you move the slide to close them.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 07-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #210
Weber

welcome to the forum. We have had our 336 for a year now and have little annoying things all over. All in all we love it and none of the anoyances were deal breakers. I am going to put a few more screws in the awning track, to keep it tight. We have not had an issue with the bunk door (yet) but i can see how it would do that. love the three way for winterizing. Might do that. I added a ladder for the bunk also. we did have to replace the radio. The dealer said they are known for going out and the outdoor speakers stop working.
No trips planned for a few weeks but we love pulling it around. This is my first fifth when (coming from a travel trailer) and I love it.
Happy camping!!!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #211

Charles, can u post some picks of your 3 way valve winterizing setup. I think I get the concept. Just would love to see how you have it set up. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #212
nellie1289

fellow 336 owners, here is a thread I started on the trials and tribulations of my grease seals and full replacement of brakes. you might find it interesting. if you see oil on your rim get it in right away it will fry your brakes it appears.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25356
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 08-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #213
nellie1289

After getting my grease seals replaced as noted above, I set out on my trip to Disney in Anaheim which is about 2000 miles round trip from Portland. I cant say my first long distance trip went well, the trip was fine, but the trailer showed more quality issues. The journey went fine, but the trailer itself is just not holding up. First of all, I had ANOTHER blown grease seal, Same side as the last time, so im sure the brakes are torched again because of the grease getting on them. I rarely use the brakes at speed, the exhaust brake on my truck does most the work. This will obviously be covered by the dealer, so whatever on the cost, but why cant these hold together. I spend more time at the dealer than I do enjoying this sled. The quality is simply not holding up Keystone! Maybe there is a larger problem on the axes, I have no idea, not a mechanic.
2) Second, I noticed some ripples in the roof where the rubber meets the cap on the drive home. Upon arriving home(was within about 150 miles from home when I noticed this on one of my diesel fill up inspections) I broke out my 10 foot ladder and took pictures. It appears the roof seal came completely undone around the front edge. And obviously it is lifting because of that, I’m not sure if there is more adhesive underneath but it doesn’t feel like it as the ripples sort of settle out in the sun after a while. See attached pictures for the damages.
3) Finally, the dinette appears to be coming apart from the slide in which it is screwed to. You only notice it when the slide is in. As it makes its final motion as the slide comes in, when the slide tips upward it pulls apart from the wall. This is not major but needs fixed too. When the slide is out the dinette is flush to the wall but the whole dinette moves when the slide comes in.

I am literally losing count of the number of trips I have made to the dealer in my 15 months of ownership. It has been a very frustrating item to own to be honest. Every trip I take, I then have to bring it in for something pretty major, whether that was the awning pulling off the side, the bunkhouse door being unable to close, these items now noted above and the prior brake replacement, or the litany of other ticky tack items that I have had to fixed under warranty.

I will see what my dealer does about all this, but I seriously want to reach out to keystone on this trailer. I’m getting tired of taking time out of my busy schedule for constant repairs when all I want to do is use it and enjoy. It is awesome when it works, but that has been rare it seems.

My next trip is in 10 days, so I better get it back in time. I have to say I can no longer officially say I would recommend someone buy a keystone product.

2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 08-08-2016, 03:04 AM   #214
JRTJH
Site Team

As for the roof, it looks like the adhesive "failed" under a part of the roofing membrane. In all probability, as you tow, wind is either flowing over the roof "pulling it up" or wind is getting under the roof membrane and is lifting it up. That "stretched" the membrane and the result is what you see.

On your wheel, have you noted a decrease in braking capability? Is it possible that the axle, seal and brake repair is "OK" and the new grease stain comes from "old grease" that was not cleaned off the inner part of the wheel, not from another bad grease seal? I'd certainly have it looked at, but it may not be as bad as you think, rather the result of an "incomplete cleaning" when the seals were replaced ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:15 AM   #215
kfxgreenie

OUCH
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #216
Chaz55

Click image for larger version

Name:	cougar winterize.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	11075

Someone asked for a pic.....hope its there. I placed a three way valve behind the white box in the cargo area where the city water hook up is. Its easy to get to by removing the two screws holding the angled wall board in place. I was going to make holes and actually put it inside the white box but really I only need to get to it once a year. One input on the valve goes to the fresh water storage tank. The second input has a three foot section of flexible hose that i stuff in a gallon of antifreeze for winterizing (it has some of the red junk in it.) The blue pex is the output from the valve and goes to the input for the water pump. Moving the handle on the valve allows the pump to pull from different sources. Making winterizing a breeze!

Also finished two other projects this weekend.....keypad controlled door lock so the kids can get in with a simple code instead of bothering me for the keys.......and I replaced the useless vent above the kitchen sink with a remote controlled Fan-tastic fan. I just needed to snake a length of wire from the bathroom fan to the vent above the sink for constant 12 volt power. Now the vent works by remote control! No need for the ladder to open the vent.

Lastly, after 5,000 miles and two trips to the dealer to complain about the brakes, I think I got them figured out. I took the rv to a non keystone dealer and had all the bakes pulled apart. One set horribly worn beyond repair, two moderately worn, last one appeared not to have been working at all! Long and short..... i replaced everything.....bearings, pads, magnets, drums and figured id start from scratch. Seems as through they were never adjusted right from the factory. Also the brake wires on the driver side of the rig were not long enough, with all the weight off the suspension, they would pull sooooo tight they almost broke. Replaced that mess as well. Im one month out of warranty and only hope I can convince Keystone to at least go 50/50 with me on the parts.
Chaz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #217
nellie1289

Update to my prior post, keystone is covering everything for me especially the roof!, Even though I am past warranty by a couple months, this is clearly a manufacturing defect.. So I appreciate them stepping up. They are also reiumbursing me for my last blown grease seal and brake work that I had to pay for. The dealer said I didn't blow another grease seal, its remnant grease from the last job an the tech should of cleaned the inner wheel, so they reinspected it all, cleaned it all up, and good to go on that.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 09-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #218
bgilsrud

Who has put the winterizing kit in this unit? Post pics please. Thank you
Old 09-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #219
Eastern Shore

good looking unit and truck enjoy
Eastern Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #220
mets721

I had the same issue with my Zone C in the entertainment center. Just stopped working one day. Next day its back on, then its out, etc. I pulled the head unit out and checked the connections and they were all good. Called the service center and they said to check the outside speakers themselves because a wire can come loose, but I doubt that's the issue. That would mean that wires in each speaker come loose at the same time, I don't think so. Going to schedule a service appointment to have that unit replaced after the season.