Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #1
Hankintu

iRV6500BT

I have this unit and it worked well for the first 2 seasons. I now have a problem with the external speakers not working. There are 3 speaker selection buttons, a,b, and c. The external used to work when c was pressed, no more. Selecting "a" still provides sound from the internal ceiling speakers.

Has anyone experienced this also and if the problem was solved, what was the solution? I can go through the process of elimination, i.e. pulling out the speakers and checking for ohms and then pulling the unit out and checking out the connections but I would like to see if someone else had this experience to see if there is a potential issue with these units.

Thanks for any help on this.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
Ductape

I'll go ahead and be the first to suggest replacing it. Ours also worked great for three seasons, but has taken a dump this summer. It started off with the volume going crazy by simply touching the volume knob (not turning it … just touching it) Now it won't play a DVD either.

If you don't have speakers hooked up to the B outlets, you could connect the outdoor speakers there for the time being. I suspect the end is near though....
Ductape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
Hankintu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductape View Post
I'll go ahead and be the first to suggest replacing it. Ours also worked great for three seasons, but has taken a dump this summer. It started off with the volume going crazy by simply touching the volume knob (not turning it … just touching it) Now it won't play a DVD either.

If you don't have speakers hooked up to the B outlets, you could connect the outdoor speakers there for the time being. I suspect the end is near though....
It may be dying a slow death with the outside speakers quitting being the first symptom. I can see where one may have gone bad but both are silent. I am not at the point of dropping $300 for a new unit yet. Thanks for the response though!
Old 08-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
B-O-B'03

We rarely use our iRV system, the kids got us a really nice BT speaker and I have ripped my CD collection and copied it to a 128G thumb drive and we plug it into a LG tablet.

For us, since we tend to dry camp a lot, I think we have watched 3 or 4 movies on the TV and cranked the antenna up that many times too, but we listen to a lot of music, this setup gives us access to our own library of ~13K songs and the BT speaker sounds much, much, much better than the junk installed in the camper (even after replacing the ceiling speakers).

-Brian
Old 08-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Hankintu

Thanks Brian, in fact the only time I used the external is when I streamed from my Amazon Music app or the Tune In Radio app so I have that option to use a good BT speaker. I bought a nice JBL BT for the daughter a couple of years ago and it turned out to be a nice unit. I think I will do what Ductape suggested and switch to channel B to see if that cuts the mustard, if not, then drop some cash on a new BT speaker.
I also stumbled on several other posts while looking at a google search for the iRV and see that it is not so uncommon to have channels going out, if the internal goes out, that will be another issue all together. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
Ductape

I am still debating what to do about mine. I have still been using it to play the radio.

FWIW, I did a search online and found new replacements for around $170. While that isn't that terrible compared to other units, I hate to think about spending that much on an inferior product only to have the new one die in another two years.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:51 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure how anyone feels about "salvage items" but there are a number of salvage yards that specialize in RV components. A few are listed in the sticky at the top of the Repairs and Maintenance section of the forum.

While it's always a "hit and miss" type approach, you never know the exact condition of the product and you don't know what's available until you check, there may be a "used unit out of a cherry condition insurance buyout" just waiting to be shipped at one of those dealers......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #8
WNY Bullet

I upgraded mine, so I have a working one in excellent condition. Make me an offer...
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

See what I mean??? Apparently we have just created our very own "Keystone salvage"... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Instead of a garage sale I prefer the term Urban Recycling.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #11
Ductape

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
I upgraded mine, so I have a working one in excellent condition. Make me an offer...

Curious what you upgraded to ??
Old 08-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #12
Msmith2054

Hey guys, check the thread I just posted “Lynx AM/FM/CD/DVD system”. Affordable at $135 if it is decent quality.
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #13
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductape View Post
Curious what you upgraded to ??
A Jensen JWM6A. It is more compatible with my iPhone and it has a HDMI output for better picture quality from the DVD.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #14
Hankintu

WNY, that looks like a good upgrade. I would like to find one with all of that and blu-ray compatible. All our newer DVDs are BR and not many have the extra regular DVD disc.

Going to give the iRV6500 a workout this week, camping at a park on west lake Okoboji and have ziltch for antenna reception. Have a bunch of kid DVDs for the twin 3 year old grand kids that will be sleeping over for several nights while there.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:03 AM   #15
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankintu View Post
WNY, that looks like a good upgrade. I would like to find one with all of that and blu-ray compatible. All our newer DVDs are BR and not many have the extra regular DVD disc.

Going to give the iRV6500 a workout this week, camping at a park on west lake Okoboji and have ziltch for antenna reception. Have a bunch of kid DVDs for the twin 3 year old grand kids that will be sleeping over for several nights while there.
I didn't see anything made for an RV that had Blu-ray at the time I upgraded.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #16
Msmith2054

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
I didn't see anything made for an RV that had Blu-ray at the time I upgraded.
How do you like that Jensen? Curious as to what you had to do to install it. Was the opening the right size? Did you have to modify the wiring harness?
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #17
BadmanRick

Have you removed the stereo at all or messed with the wires? Is this a Jensen?
Try an disconnecting the battery and see it the radio resets. In not the outside speakers may have stopped working. I replaced mine with Kenwood 6” marine speaks inside and out what a difference.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #18
Hankintu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
Have you removed the stereo at all or messed with the wires? Is this a Jensen?
Try an disconnecting the battery and see it the radio resets. In not the outside speakers may have stopped working. I replaced mine with Kenwood 6” marine speaks inside and out what a difference.
Haven't pulled the unit out of the wall yet so no, have not done anything with the wires and no, it is the iRV6500BT that came with it.
The outside speakers worked last year, but not this year, the batt was disconnected for winter storage so it may be a good idea to disconnect and reconnect again to possibly reset the system, thanks for the idea.