Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

I may have to quit after 40+ yrs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

My 2010 F150 5.4L truck didn't have a transmission dipstick. There was no "user friendly" way to check transmission fluid level. Any transmission maintenance needed to be done at the dealership. I suppose one could drain the transmission fluid, measure how much was removed and install that amount and "make a guess that it was the correct level".... But......

So, in response to the comment: "The day that's done on pick-ups will be a sad day indeed." That day was, at least with Ford's F150 transmission, about 7 years ago......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #23
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That day was, at least with Ford's F150 transmission, about 7 years ago......
Surprise http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/mu...54255_1121.pdf
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:19 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny's Journey View Post
It's no surprise. The transmission dipstick (as we all have come to know it) was replaced by a "nickel piece of plastic" commonly found on our lawn mowers. My objective in pointing this out was not to find a service procedure for changing transmission fluid on a truck I no longer own, rather it was to identify another example of chuckster57's comment about how vehicles are getting more difficult to work on, with special tools required to do "common tasks".

It's no "surprise" to me that you found the procedure in the Ford Shop Manual. I found it in 2010, about a week after I bought the truck and was doing a fluid check in the driveway and realized there's no way to check transmission fluid level without either having a vehicle lift or a creeper to get under the truck. Gone (at least on that model) was the "conventional transmission dipstick" and any way to check transmission fluid at a routine fuel stop. I might add, "also gone" is the means to pull the dipstick out, see, touch and smell the transmission fluid to check whether it's burned, overheated or off color (without that lift or creeper)..... In my opinion, on the 2010 F150 5.4l engine/6 speed transmission, the "user friendly" transmission fluid checks are no longer "user friendly". That model is, for all practical purposes, a "sealed unit" with no capability for "owner checks/maintenance" without special tools and equipment......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #25
Johnny's Journey

The term "sealed" transmission was mentioned. And there are true sealed unit's out there. This is not one of them.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:37 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Point taken, "literally"...... now back to our regular program......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
gas