Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #11
xrated

Thank you again for all the responses to this. I'm going to take this past weekend as a valuable lesson, especially after I spent a LOT of time on Monday trying to get the cables readjusted and make it work again. Live and learn and getting help/advice from you guys that are far more experienced than I am, helps tremendously. At 63 years of age, and suffering a bit of hair loss, yesterday's experience didn't help with hair conservation!

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
theallde

Just my 2cents - I hate these damn cable slides for several reasons besides the once a year adjustment or sometimes sooner.

I have a 12' and 10' facia that must be removed when making adjustments or cable / motor replacement. The facia removal requires using the same screw holes so I had to enforce the screw holes with tooth picks "plus" I always need to enlist a neighbor to help me lower and raise the facia due to the weight and two piece construction.

My cables are exposed to the weather when the slides are out so I cover them with electrical wire wraps. I noticed that the new 2018 Cougar 30RLI has the cables covered - on my to do list to see.

Next RV will not have cable slides .... Don

theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #13
CaptnJohn

When I bought a Heartland TT at CW the tech told me during PDI to leave the slides alone until you are level and bring them in before hitching. When I bought the Cougar I had the same tech and he asked "remember what I said about slides as now you have one more". When doing the PDI on the Montana had a different tech and he said "Dave said to make sure to remember what he said about moving the slides as now you have four". I keep the keys until the auto-level finishes. Only then do I open the door and my wife opens the slides. At close, I take care of hoses and outside while wifey puts away all inside. When we are done slides come in, last thing before raising leveler feet and hooking up.

2017 Montana HC 370BR
2016 F350 6.7 4X4
Edgewater 205 EX Yamaha 150
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #14
xrated

Sounds like very good advice CaptnJohn.

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #15
Tinner12002

Darn, after reading all this I wonder how often mine will need adjusting, thought this design would be a lot less painful...but, I do only put slides out after rv is leveled and before I unlevel it to hook up. Only other time slides are out some is to access the inside...can't walk through the new ones with slides in like you could on the older ones!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:42 AM   #16
ctbruce
Site Team

It's a mixed bag of adjusting/not adjusting. I have not (probably jinxing myself) had to adjust mine.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #17
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Darn, after reading all this I wonder how often mine will need adjusting, thought this design would be a lot less painful...but, I do only put slides out after rv is leveled and before I unlevel it to hook up. Only other time slides are out some is to access the inside...can't walk through the new ones with slides in like you could on the older ones!
These are not too bad to adjust if you have good access, a 3/8" and a 7/16" Gear wrench - or better, two of each plus a small Crescent and an hour to do 2-3 of them. You also should keep a couple 20 buck cables on hand though one of mine dates to 2009 and our last 5er. So far, only the long LR(3 times) and small office slides(once) on our 5er have been adjusted in 4 seasons. After the fighting two Lippert rack and pinion slides also on the last 5er - easy.

Tags
cable, slide