Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #41
dwall

Thanks so much for this thread. I have always had to set up a fan to push air from the rear of my tt to the bedroom. I just went to check and spent about 30 minutes blocking the excess duct and applying more tape to seal off leaks and I increased the airflow nearly 50%. Wow what a difference! It actually blew my hair (what little I have) while sitting on my bed. Next trip I may take along supplies and make a little extra money while in the campground. Low airflow has always been a discussion around the campfire with other guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #42
keyholeelf

We used a pool noodle. Cut it so it was tight and shoved it in there. It vastly improved the amount of air we were getting.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...mVlbnRxOVllV3c
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...TZzX0hEcHJlM1U
keyholeelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #43
BlackNoir

Donald, I hate to tell you this but those pool noodles dry up and turn brittle. It won't be immediate but in a year or 2 you might start getting odd green things floating in the air. Next time you're at a box store i'd grab something like pipe insulation, thats what i'm going to go with myself, it should hold up much better.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:49 AM   #44
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNoir View Post
Donald, I hate to tell you this but those pool noodles dry up and turn brittle. It won't be immediate but in a year or 2 you might start getting odd green things floating in the air. Next time you're at a box store i'd grab something like pipe insulation, thats what i'm going to go with myself, it should hold up much better.

True if exposed to UV (sunlight).

I have a few in the garage I use for projects. Been there longer than I can remember without degradation.

Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #45
BlackNoir

Cool, i wasn't 100% if it was UV related.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:54 AM   #46
Seven Gable

I used window air conditioner foam weatherstriping (for filling inbetween the upper & lower wimdows). I cut it a few inches longer than the duct and curved it into a U shape and tapered the cuts at the ends. Worked very well.

Here is a link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-...rstrip/3062423
Seven Gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:59 PM   #47
Kenporacer

Wow, what a difference his hack made. Just finished and can tell a difference of flow in each vent. I had already taped inside the unit. Thanks! Never thought of checking to see how far the ductwork goes!
Kenporacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:52 PM   #48
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwall View Post
Thanks so much for this thread. I have always had to set up a fan to push air from the rear of my tt to the bedroom. I just went to check and spent about 30 minutes blocking the excess duct and applying more tape to seal off leaks and I increased the airflow nearly 50%. Wow what a difference! It actually blew my hair (what little I have) while sitting on my bed. Next trip I may take along supplies and make a little extra money while in the campground. Low airflow has always been a discussion around the campfire with other guests.

Good idea! I'll be at I-95 Exit 1 a couple days in Sept,,,

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #49
jsmith948

Re-checked the tape on our vents and found it to have come loose from the duct on 3 of the 4 vents. Looks like the tape had been applied right over the construction debris/dust. Removed all the old tape and applied new. I had previously taped up the exhaust and return plenum but thought I would re-check. The forward 'wall' of the return is formed by a piece of luan poorly fitted between the frame work on which the a/c is mounted. There was about a 1/2" gap on one side and the factory crew had drilled 1" holes for the wires. All this allowed hot air from the 'attic' to be drawn into the a/c. Don't know how I missed it before. While I had the cover down, I vacuumed the dirt from the coil (we live in a dust bowl). Huge difference now in the volume and temperature of the a/c exhaust.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:06 AM   #50
rrjernigan

I checked my Montana but couldn't tell if I needed to block any of the vents. The two units seem to be at either end of the camper so I was afraid of blocking the flow coming from the a/c unit to the vent. I am replacing all the vents. The air flow with the vents that came with the unit isn't all that strong. When I took off the covers it seemed much stronger. I need a vent cover that allows for max flow but gives me the ability to direct it. I'm also thinking of adding that third a/c unit. Anyone had any experience with that? We considered it when we purchased the unit but the salesman didn't seem to think it was needed or all that worthwhile. We just spent two weeks in Austin, in full sun with 100-106 temps. It was obviously hot. I have to be in Texas for summers the next few years and if the third unit helps it might be worth the $1,300 to install.
rrjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:04 AM   #51
John&Genny

There is a lot of great suggestions here for increasing the AC airflow and I'm doing some of them now, such as checking the duct openings, replacing some of the vent covers that would allow more airflow, etc. However I wanted to share with you a picture of the AC controller stuffed inside the return air vent of the 13.5K BTU bedroom AC.

And I mean the controller is literally stuffed inside the return air vent. The one in the 15K BTU is mounted on one of the upper side panels of the return air vent like it should be, but not this one. And they wonder why people complain that their AC system is not efficient. It's obvious that some worker at Keystone just got lazy or didn't care about their workmanship.

One thing I had to laugh at when looking inside both units was the squirrel cage blower wheel they used in the 13.5K vs. 15K units. One is obviously smaller than the other. I'm betting that if you replaced the 13.5K blower wheel with the same size that's in the 15K AC, you could magically convert it to a 15K BTU unit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170807_161624.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	13608  
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #52
Skippy38

My airflow was pretty good but I wanted a little more in the bedroom of my 29RLI so I took the vent off and removed every other vent fin with a Dremel tool. Now it literally PUMPS cold air to the front of the unit.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #53
xrated

So, someone please post up with info on what aftermarket vent covers you like best.....brand, model of cover, etc. I need a couple that are adjustable for both direction and to be able to close off completely.....5" duct opening and preferably....black. White will suffice if no black ones are available.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #54
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
So, someone please post up with info on what aftermarket vent covers you like best.....brand, model of cover, etc. I need a couple that are adjustable for both direction and to be able to close off completely.....5" duct opening and preferably....black. White will suffice if no black ones are available.
Here's the on we used. I think the post on this thread was 24:
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/JR-...CABEgKa8PD_BwE
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #55
Ddubya

I too have replaced all of the vents and sealed the duct around them. Great improvement as expected but don't forget the return air vents. I found that one of mine was sucking air from the ceiling cavity and another had a very long run to the end. After correcting I had much better flow in the return system.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #56
ken56

Just checked mine and had the same condition. I blocked off the ends of the duct runs and taped up gaps a best as I could. I can't check air flow as yet but I am confident that it is much improved. In the process of sealing up the supply box now.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #57
Wayne883

Excellent information shared. I'll be checking mine soon. This makes me wonder though, why are these trailers so expensive to buy with this type of craftsmanship/labor because in my mind, it takes less time to not cut it to the correct length, but then it hit me. It must be all of the extra material they're using. LOL Thanks for the posts.
Wayne883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:52 AM   #58
muddynoll

I just did all of our vents a few weeks ago. We have an Impact 312 that was just built in February. The garage vents were blowing cold air into the roof area. I blocked off the end runs with 1 inch high density foam, and re taped all of the vent exits. I also replaced the vents in the garage with vents that could be shut off since there is an A/C unit in the garage. The duct at the A/c unit was also partially blocked as well. I opened it up and re taped. Now we have much better air flow. Sad how little attention to detail is taken when they build these things.
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:44 PM   #59
msubobcats

After all these posts I thought I would check outs.
"The cooling chamber", just reaching up and checking the surface of the chamber, is warm. The ducting going forward and back is maybe 1 1/2x8 and leaving the chamber the was probably a 1/2" gap at the top of the ducting. .. Going into the ceiling/roof cavity... So I taped those areas. And reaching into the bedroom duct it is also fairly warm.
So we will see how it goes as we are heading to Vacaville next Saturday for four days.
FYI Matchbook Winery is having a tasting and the Cousins Maine Lobster Food truck will be there!!!!!
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:45 PM   #60
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Here's the on we used. I think the post on this thread was 24:
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/JR-...CABEgKa8PD_BwE
Just be aware that there are two basic models of this vent, one with a .25 inch collar as shown in the link, the other with a 1-1/2 inch collar which is what I needed for my RV. Be sure to take one of the old ones out to make sure you will get the proper replacement.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote