Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #1
NWCatOwner

Floor plan w/kitchen access w/slides in

I have figured out some requirements for the rig we eventually purchase.

1. Has to have a dinette. I don't want to hassle with strapping the chairs and tables down, plus most of the tables I've sat at, I bang my legs on it and I don't with most dinettes.

2. Have to be able to access, if not the full kitchen, than at least the frig and some counter and cabinets so I can get a snack while pulled in somewhere that I can't put the slides out.

3. Access enough of the bed to get in to sleep/nap while the slide is pulled in.

4. Don't want recliner/rockers as I don't want to hassle with strapping them in (don't have the strength to move those suckers around all the time).

5. Since I don't want #4, that means I'll probably get theater seats instead or just stick with a floor plan with a couch/fold out bed and dinette.

6. Large underneath/pass through storage. I'd be using the rig for out-of-area craft bazaars and I need room for my wire grid panels (5' long by 2' wide) and folding tables (30" wide when folded). I don't want to assume I can stick these in the bed of the truck.

7. Solid door to bedroom to help drown out the snoring from hubby in the other room.

So, does anyone have recommendations on what all will fit these requirements? Yeah, I know, check out dealers, but it'd be nice to hear from others that have rigs like this and what they think of 'em.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 AM   #2
cblong

Some front lounges have most everything you want. You may have to order yours and add the dinette instead of the table.

Cougar High country 330 RBK
2014 F350 6.7 CC DRW
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax CCSB SOLD
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
EVMIII

Not trying to be a smart $&@, it sounds to me that would you really want is a motorhome. I've been in a bunch of them that meet all your requirements. I'm sure there are probably layouts that would meet all your requirements, I've never been in one. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
JohnD

My 337fls is close but I have the table and chairs, did not want another dinette
2012 Heartland North Trail
2015 Keystone Cougar 337fls
2021 Keystone Montana 3763BP
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Campy

They are out there, our old Coachman had a dinette and we loved it. Some of the absolutely important things we had to have when shopping for our 5th wheels is access when it's "closed up". What I mean is we want to be able to get to the bedroom, bathroom, and the food without opening slides. That's important to us when going long distances and stopping over night in a rest area.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
NotyetMHCowner

We were looking at a Wildcat several months ago with opposing slides and a Kitchen island before ordering our Montana High Country and I asked the sales woman how much access I would have with the slides in? She asked "why would you try to access it with the slides in?" Haha. She apparently didn't own one.

Now, we ended up picking one that has no access to the fridge and half the pantry with the slides in. Matter of fact, you just about cant access the whole living area with the slides in. But, we just couldn't find the floor plan we wanted otherwise. It will be an inconvenience during rest stops and such, but we decided that is a small part of our travels. We will camp mostly within a few hours of the house and will just deal with it on longer trips.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
NWCatOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
Not trying to be a smart $&@, it sounds to me that would you really want is a motorhome. I've been in a bunch of them that meet all your requirements. I'm sure there are probably layouts that would meet all your requirements, I've never been in one. Good luck with your search.
I started off looking at motor homes, but hubby needs to replace his truck and he doesn't want something mechanical that will sit around for months on end.

And no, that's not a smarty pants answer. I have a friend with a mh that took a while to realize it's not best for how we'll be using it.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Festus2,

Have you possibly got NotyetMHCowner (responder) and NWCatOwner (original poster) confused?
JRTJH-
By now, you should know how little it takes to confuse me. And yes, I did get the two mixed up but have sent a PM to one confessing that I goofed.

So everyone ----- NotyetMHCOwner and NWCatOwner and anyone else ....
just ignore me and carry on pretending that all is well.

Thank you
Old 02-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
Ram189

My Montana 338 has most of what you need. It is a bunkhouse though and the back room cannot be accessed with the rear slide in.
I can get in and out of the bed in the front and access the closet with the slide there in.
Has dinette and foldout couch instead of table and chairs.
Plus you can put the hubby in the back bedroom and you in the front and isolate the snoring even more.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #10
NWCatOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram189 View Post
My Montana 338 has most of what you need. It is a bunkhouse though and the back room cannot be accessed with the rear slide in.
I can get in and out of the bed in the front and access the closet with the slide there in.
Has dinette and foldout couch instead of table and chairs.
Plus you can put the hubby in the back bedroom and you in the front and isolate the snoring even more.
HA! My thoughts exactly and that's why I've looked at a few. We even went to Ikea the other night to see if there was a small couch to put back there that was better than that silly Cub Couch on the Cougars. The answer on that is "yes".

Thanks for the info on your rig. I'll look up the floor plan to see what it's like.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
Ram189

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCatOwner View Post
HA! My thoughts exactly and that's why I've looked at a few. We even went to Ikea the other night to see if there was a small couch to put back there that was better than that silly Cub Couch on the Cougars. The answer on that is "yes".

Thanks for the info on your rig. I'll look up the floor plan to see what it's like.
The sleep sofa in the living room and bunk house on mine are the same. Love seat maybe 2.5 people at best, pulls out into double bed. There is a TV setup back there as well so works good for 2 people that want to watch different things.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
Jlwright

My Springdale 253 FWRE has access to the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom with the slides in. You might check it out.
Jlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
moniteaufarm

the cougar 318sab has almost everything you want - but I'm not sure you can find that floorplan in a new camper anymore. Nearly the entire kitchen is accessible with the slides in, the fridge and pantry for sure, as well as the bathroom and bedroom. bed is on a slide, but is totally accessible. I've seen pix of one with a dinette - we have table and chairs
moniteaufarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #14
theeyres

With that big of list I think you just need to go to the websites of all the manufactures and look in detail at the floorplans. You don't say anything about size, length, weight, how big of truck, etc so I don't think we can possibly answer. Just start investigating. Go to shows. Go to all the lots in your areas. You'll find it. Good luck.

We had an Arctic Fox 32.5 that had rockers, table & chairs. We never had to strap anything in or move anything. We pushed the two rockers back against the wall and we were off. Nothing ever moved. So you may be over emphasizing some things that are a non issue.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #15
NWCatOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
We had an Arctic Fox 32.5 that had rockers, table & chairs. We never had to strap anything in or move anything. We pushed the two rockers back against the wall and we were off. Nothing ever moved. So you may be over emphasizing some things that are a non issue.
Interesting! I was told all that stuff needed to be strapped down.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #16
sherri330

Everything you stated is on our list too! We recently saw a Sandpiper 5th wheel with a front living room at an RV show. It had a back door in the bedroom so you could get to the bathroom. It also had a double door refrigerator with a bottom freezer. I thought the kitchen island might block the refrigerator but realized that you could at least get one side open. The only thing was the table and chairs. I forgot to pick up a brochure to see if it had an optional dinette. The living room had 2 couches and a theater seat! So close to everything we want, we're optimistic it's out there! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote