Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
Tonyasr1

What kind of brakes are these

I bought a used 2004 Zeppelin z281 travel trailer.it dont have hubs on it and I am needing to buy new hubs and brakes but I cant figure out what kind ones I need looking to get the hub assembly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_090708.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	20991   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_090705.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	20992   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_090631.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	20993  
Tonyasr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
Laredo Tugger

I'm not a certified mechanic but I can tell you that you have a shoe brake assembly. The hubs (pictured with the lug bolts protruding) are there. The part that is missing is the drum. They mount to the bolt pattern (concealing the shoes) before the wheels are installed. If you are wanting to restore the original brake assembly I would recommend new shoes, inspect and re-pack the bearings and find the correct hubs and have them "turned" at a brake shop. An alternative, for a price would be a disc brake kit.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:51 AM   #3
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Good idea.

I would convert to disc brakes given what I see in these pics, regardless of price delta. Maintaining disc brakes is far easier.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
Tonyasr1

so I have the hub I need a drum sorry I'm new to all this and don't want to be taken advanage because I dont know what I need
Old 03-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
Tonyasr1

So I need to convert to disk brakes where can I purchase these. And is there any way you can tell me what drum I need
Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #6
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyasr1 View Post
So I need to convert to disk brakes where can I purchase these. And is there any way you can tell me what drum I need
"Need" ...not really, but it's an option that cost more now, but less later.

Take a look here https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...and_Drums.aspx for parts to bring your current config back to functional.

Look here to convert to disc brakes https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...Conversion+Kit

Look for RV electric drum brake videos on YouTube, that will get you up to speed quickly.

Then decide what route you want to go and whether you do the work or a mechanic does it.

I use the same mechanic that services our vehicles. We know him, he knows us.

We don't have any local RV dealerships. I'm not convinced that a rv dealership would do a better job on this type of repair.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Considering the age of the trailer, unless you plan on traveling a lot, I don't think disc brakes would be practical. $$$ You can get a complete backing plate and assembly with drums fairly reasonable. First pull the hub and check the spindle and races and bearings. Looking at the condition of the brakes I would also carefully inspect the axle tube and springs for excessive rust. If they are damaged the best thing would be to get complete axle assemblies and be done with everything in one shot. Again, it all depends on how much money you want to sink into a fifteen year old trailer and how much use you plan to get from it. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Considering the age of the trailer, unless you plan on traveling a lot, I don't think disc brakes would be practical.
Good point, I was applying my use to his trailer.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #9
Tonyasr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Considering the age of the trailer, unless you plan on traveling a lot, I don't think disc brakes would be practical. $$$ You can get a complete backing plate and assembly with drums fairly reasonable. First pull the hub and check the spindle and races and bearings. Looking at the condition of the brakes I would also carefully inspect the axle tube and springs for excessive rust. If they are damaged the best thing would be to get complete axle assemblies and be done with everything in one shot. Again, it all depends on how much money you want to sink into a fifteen year old trailer and how much use you plan to get from it. JM2¢, Hank

I was told I could get dexter electric brakes and put on it is that true I'm sorry for all the questions new to all this
Old 03-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Yes that's true, the first link I posted will show you those.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
Tonyasr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitFactor View Post
Yes that's true, the first link I posted will show you those.
Ok thank you so much how do I know what size I need to purchase
Old 03-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

I probably can't help much.

Axles often have a tag on them, but that may be illegible if present.

Give etrailer a call, they have a good reputation and can likely help.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #13
travelin texans

Not knowing your situation or abilities, but if you have to pay someone to have all the work done it'll likely be more than the rv is worth. If you are able to do it it could be a fun, rewarding project.
Hopefully the rest of the rv was better taken care than the brakes & bearings, they appear to have had NO maintenance for most of their 14-15 years of life.
It appears the electro magnet has fallen out of the backing plate & stuck the frame & It all appears to have been under water. I would not try to salvage any of the parts pictured, new backing plates, new drums, new bearings/races/seals & would test the wiring to each wheel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #14
Tonyasr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Not knowing your situation or abilities, but if you have to pay someone to have all the work done it'll likely be more than the rv is worth. If you are able to do it it could be a fun, rewarding project.
Hopefully the rest of the rv was better taken care than the brakes & bearings, they appear to have had NO maintenance for most of their 14-15 years of life.
It appears the electro magnet has fallen out of the backing plate & stuck the frame & It all appears to have been under water. I would not try to salvage any of the parts pictured, new backing plates, new drums, new bearings/races/seals & would test the wiring to each wheel.
We are doing the work our selves the inside was as bad as the outside we have remodeled it all now working on the outside not gonna be traveling in this one that much gonna buy a newer one need this one to go 1000 miles thank you for your help is greatly appreciated
Old 03-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyasr1 View Post
We are doing the work our selves the inside was as bad as the outside we have remodeled it all now working on the outside not gonna be traveling in this one that much gonna buy a newer one need this one to go 1000 miles thank you for your help is greatly appreciated

Just saw this thread. I would agree 100% with Danny above. Contact etrailer and give the information and see if they can't set you up with the above parts so you can put them on the trailer. It isn't hard if you have some tools and are somewhat mechanically inclined. You will spend more money, and much more time, I suspect trying to piece meal the thing back together with all the parts required - plus, I wouldn't pull that anywhere without replacing those brake assemblies.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #16
Tbos

I don’t see the magnets on the brake setup. Is it possible these are surge brakes?
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #17
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Surge brakes are generally not compatible with weight distributing hitches.

Surge brakes have an actuator like this https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Actua...YaAr3JEALw_wcB
Old 03-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I don’t see the magnets on the brake setup. Is it possible these are surge brakes?

Here's a link to a video of that trailer. I just see a regular hitch not the surge brake reservoir that I can tell. That just tells me that the brakes on the trailer are in terrible shape.

OP, when you pull those brakes, hubs and bearings be sure and look over the spindles. If that trailer was pulled with the bearings in the shape they look to be there's no telling what you might find.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #19
Tbos

From the video I can see they aren’t surge brakes. Just wondering where the magnets went!
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
notanlines

I like what was said so far with the exception of the disk brake idea. I don't believe that poster realized how this was to be used, nor the cost involved. I particularly liked Hank's idea of looking into complete axle assemblies. If that proves to be beyond the reaches of the Master Card, at a bare minimum you will need complete brake/hub assemblies. Keep us up on your progress. And how about a photo or two of the inside?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes