Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #21
roadglide

I installed 4 complete sets of Dexter self adjusting brakes I kept applying the rig breaks on my hill , I have to admit it took several attempts befor the rig came to a hult . In my experience with Dexter brakes the adjustment was trouble free.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #22
goducks

OP, have you manually adjusted the brakes through the backing plate? Or are the self adjusting?

goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #23
Campy

First off some of the insinuations are kind of insulting guys,... You think I have been dragging this thing around with no brakes, weak brakes yes. The camper has only been used 5 times since new and only two of those trips were more than 100 miles away. The brakes do work but not properly and yes this has been an ongoing problem since new. After the dealer told me they needed time to bed in I accepted that and gave them some time. On my part I have checked and adjusted the brakes at the wheels several times with no improvement. Everything looked good the time I packed the bearings, the wiring going through the axles for the brakes is really flimsy like speaker wire. I thought it was in my truck at first because we changed trucks right at the time of purchase and the new truck had the "built-in" controller and I did not like it anyways. There was some improvement after I installed the Prodigy controller but very little. I'm sure it has to be a wiring issue but the belly skin is making it hard to get in there. Life and other issues have kept us from even using it last year at all. Currently its still tied up in its indoor storage and I can't get to it, should be able to soon.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #24
Ken / Claudia

Sure sounds to me a shop and an hour or so of labor is in order. Going on the fact you say the brakes are fine and you have used 2 brake controllers. My guess is only a guess if you really have adjusted the brake controllers correctly, you have an electric issue somewhere on the trailer. For me it does not matter how far or how little you pull the trailer not having correct functioning trailer brakes is a danger to everyone on the road. Here improper safety equipment will earn a careless driving cite, if it leads to damage or injury it moves up to a crime of reckless driving.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Campy, there are a lot of things that could cause "degraded" trailer brake performance - from mechanical to electrical. Since it sounds like you've checked the brake components and adjusted them properly, that would leave the controller or wiring to me. You've replaced the controller so it would seem you may have a wiring issue. What kind of shape is the connector from the truck to trailer in? It could be as simple as a bad connector/connection, rust etc. Just thinking out loud.

Edit: I was just thinking about taking it to be checked out vs a RV dealership. I had a tandem axle boat and trailer that the brakes were acting up on and it was recommended to take it to a "trailer" repair shop. They repaired all kinds of trailers I suppose and had a huge inventory of axles, hubs, brakes etc. along with several big bays. Took it in and one of the guys took a quick look at it and gave me the assessment which included replacing most of the brake components and all the hoses (hydraulic). They knew EXACTLY what to look for, where and what to do about it without blinking. Left it for 2 days and it was like a new trailer and cost far less than I thought it would. Just throwing that out there about the "trailer" shop vs dealership and the benefit of having a pro look it over.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #26
BadmanRick

Hay Campy I had a similar problem with my Toyota Tundra when it came with the factory Break controller. I had a prodigy on my old tundra which works totally different than the Factory controller. The factory controller works directly with the breaks of the truck. They are calibrated to make a smooth stop with the trailer. I had to have Toyota reprogram my controller to work properly. Now they work great.
The prodigy controller feels different because it uses a pendulum and is a LOT MORE SENSITIVE than the factory controller. It can be Jerky sometimes. The factory controllers usually use a slight time delay to give the smooth stop. I would have your truck dealer check and see if they have an update for your factory controller. You should still be able to get a manual lockup on your factory controller. If not have truck dealer check output of the break controller. I purchased my own test equipment for the trailer connector and breaks. I found a dirty plug made a big difference in the breaks. I check mine before I go camping so I have no problems.
Hope this helps.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #27
msp2jxr

brakes

I have had many new trailers many of them Keystone. I have had two trailers and now the current one from DAY ONE with weak brakes and was told the same thing from the dealer they will get better. They work and function properly but would only slow the rig down and would not even drag the wheels on gravel even after burnishing. The issue of the wiring being thin is not far fetched in my mind. If you watch the way the trailers are wired you may understand why. They have spools of wire hanging from the ceiling and pull down what is needed. If someone grabs the wrong spool or replaced the spool with the wrong gauge wire the brakes will be weak because the wire can not supply enough amperage or will bleed off the amperage due to heat build up. Trailers that go down the SAME assembly line are not even wired the same. Running new wire for the brakes maybe a cheap, safe, and easier fix. Just my 2$.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #28
bigrockk

If you are comfortable doing some electrical troubleshooting it should be fairly simple to do a little testing to at least point you in the right direction.

To make this easy you really should have a meter with a DC amp clamp such as the UNI-T UT210E. This is an excellent meter for the price and super handy for testing DC circuits, just Google it, you will find it on eBay or Amazon for around 50 bucks.

The first thing I would do is plug the trailer into the truck. Then find the easiest place to get the “amp clamp” around the wire that supplies current to the trailer brakes. (I think it is the #2 pin on the 7 pin connector but you can Google to confirm)

Now the magnets at the brakes vary somewhat in the current that they draw depending on the model so you can look that up for your particular model, but I think on average they draw between 3-4 amps per wheel.

So with the truck running, brake controller set to max have someone step hard on the truck brakes and hold them there while you read the DC current at the meter, if the current is slowly rising keeping reading the meter until the current stabilizes. If the reading stabilizes at around 12-16 amps chances are the electrical is ok and the braking problem is mechanical.
Keep in mind this doesn’t rule out an intermittent electrical problem 100% but it’s a good starting point to figure things out. If the current is well below the combined rated values of your braking magnets then it is very likely the problem is electrical.

All of this isn’t conclusive but it’s a good starting point to knowing what is going on. Hope this helps and makes sense. Good luck and post back your results and maybe we can help some more if need be.
bigrockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #29
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
Trying to track down an brake issue I have had with my Cougar for awhile now and looking for help or insight. Could never get full braking power even when new, dealer said it will take time to "bed" in the shoes but the stopping power never did improve. Now I"m looking for a reason? At first we thought it was the built-in controller in the truck so I installed a Prodigy controller, slightly better. When applying full manual power to the brakes the rig will barely slow down. I'm thinking it's a wiring issue on the camper itself, appears to have 14g wiring for the brake wire. I have larger wire on my speakers!
I had a similar issue with mine. I had a 5er that I pulled with an older truck and everything worked and stopped great. Then I got a 2012 RAM with the OEM controller and had stopping issues. I replaced my OEM controller with the Tekonsha Prodigy 2 that I had used before and everything works fine. Since I knew the trailer stopped before the truck change I figured it was the truck.

Do you have any previous experience with the trailer or the truck to know that one of them worked before? If not then you're stuck trouble-shooting everthing. I might be inclined to check the output of the brake controller at the controller vs the plug at the end of the truck to see if there's any signficant loss that might be due to a loose or worn wire.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #30
bbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
Hay Campy I had a similar problem with my Toyota Tundra when it came with the factory Break controller. I had a prodigy on my old tundra which works totally different than the Factory controller. The factory controller works directly with the breaks of the truck. They are calibrated to make a smooth stop with the trailer. I had to have Toyota reprogram my controller to work properly. Now they work great.
The prodigy controller feels different because it uses a pendulum and is a LOT MORE SENSITIVE than the factory controller. It can be Jerky sometimes. The factory controllers usually use a slight time delay to give the smooth stop. I would have your truck dealer check and see if they have an update for your factory controller. You should still be able to get a manual lockup on your factory controller. If not have truck dealer check output of the break controller. I purchased my own test equipment for the trailer connector and breaks. I found a dirty plug made a big difference in the breaks. I check mine before I go camping so I have no problems.
Hope this helps.
When did you get your firmware update for your Tundra? My dealer did the update on mine and it did nothing. They had me put it on electric/hydraulic and it caused me to get into an accident on icy roads. I couldn't touch my brakes while I was spinning with the trailer until I changed the controller to electric. Electric/hydraulic isn't proportional - All or nothing. It feels like it is working, but isn't safe. You can't test integrated electronic brakes unless a trailer is connected and you are moving - The computer adjusts output per your speed, braking, etc. Otherwise at the plug it will test ok. I am hoping you got your update in the last few months and that there is a new one out.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #31
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrockk View Post
If you are comfortable doing some electrical troubleshooting it should be fairly simple to do a little testing to at least point you in the right direction.

To make this easy you really should have a meter with a DC amp clamp such as the UNI-T UT210E. This is an excellent meter for the price and super handy for testing DC circuits, just Google it, you will find it on eBay or Amazon for around 50 bucks.

The first thing I would do is plug the trailer into the truck. Then find the easiest place to get the “amp clamp” around the wire that supplies current to the trailer brakes. (I think it is the #2 pin on the 7 pin connector but you can Google to confirm)

Now the magnets at the brakes vary somewhat in the current that they draw depending on the model so you can look that up for your particular model, but I think on average they draw between 3-4 amps per wheel.

So with the truck running, brake controller set to max have someone step hard on the truck brakes and hold them there while you read the DC current at the meter, if the current is slowly rising keeping reading the meter until the current stabilizes. If the reading stabilizes at around 12-16 amps chances are the electrical is ok and the braking problem is mechanical.
Keep in mind this doesn’t rule out an intermittent electrical problem 100% but it’s a good starting point to figure things out. If the current is well below the combined rated values of your braking magnets then it is very likely the problem is electrical.

All of this isn’t conclusive but it’s a good starting point to knowing what is going on. Hope this helps and makes sense. Good luck and post back your results and maybe we can help some more if need be.

What he said! Use a meter. It will tell you what you need to know in order to eliminate or identify whether electrical is the problem. I'd also go to each wheel and get those readings. Good luck
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #32
BadmanRick

Hi bbells - I have a 2017 platinum tundra I purchased in July of 2017. On 8/28/2017 I took the truck and trailer to the Toyota dealership and they installed update t-sb-0231-17. They may have a newer update you will need to check with Toyota. This solved my problems
I purchased an Inovative products of America IPA 9107A Electric Brake Force Meter with Dynamic Load Simulation and Circuit Testing meter. This tests the truck 7pin trailer lights and any break controller. I Hooked it up and tested my break system. It does apply full break voltage during a panic stop and increase voltage as you apply the breaks. I am running my IBC at 9 and it works well. This will not give you the same breaking as The tekonsha p3, but now the factory controller does work.
Do not use electric/hydraulic if you do not have that type break system. Very bad information form dealer.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #33
Local150

I have mine set quite a bit hire than that,, but on my previous th I had a friend hitting the brakes while I rolled around under the trailer,, I could hear the magnets coming in on only two wheels,not four,, found a wiring problem at the wheel
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:12 AM   #34
Campy

Thanks guys thats some useful input on what to check. I'm hoping that the storage building will clear out soon so I can get to it to start working on it. We are finally planning a big trip and I dont want to go that far with marginal brakes. I really do believe its a wiring issue, my last camper (Coachman) had wiring twice the size of what's on this bigger camper and would lock up the wheels using the manual lever on the controller.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:12 AM   #35
geeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
What he said! Use a meter. It will tell you what you need to know in order to eliminate or identify whether electrical is the problem. I'd also go to each wheel and get those readings. Good luck
Start by checking ground wiring. Many times the ground between truck and trailer is a good start.

Good luck.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #36
Tinman97423

Breaks

I have been researching that same breaking problem with my 2015 Ram 2500 with built in break control pulling my 2016 Cougar 303RLS with the 350 horse Cummings.
This thread is about RAM trucks so I don’t care if your Ford, GMC or Chevy trucks work or don’t work. THIS IS ABOUT RAM TRUCKS that have a problem. First of all, I have not been able to find a Ram dealer who knows anything about the built-in break control. All they say is “If it does not show up on the computer there is nothing wrong.
I just came back from a 2400-mile trip and if it wasn’t for the diesel exhaust break, I don’t know what I would have done. Now what follows is what I am going to try first.
This is what I was told to do by a big trailer/RV repair near Palm Springs Cal. First. Using a small bottle jack, jack up just one tire at a time (DO NOT JACK UP THE TRAILER) till it can spin freely (put the jack so it will be between the u-bolts on just one tire at a time). Now with the one tire clear off the ground go and pull the emergency break cord switch (MUST HAVE TRAILER BATTERY HOOKED UP) also having the trailer plugged in to 120 supply would keep the battery charged up while you do this to all wheels with breaks one at a time. I was told to readjust breaks so that they would still spin just a little while you try to turn them using a lot of your body force to turn them. I was told you want the trailer to help stop the truck without just locking up the breaks and just skidding.
If all of the breaks on the trailer work that means nothing wrong with the trailer.
My second idea came from my own little brain. (no smart remarks needed). 😊 My truck has two trailer hook up plugs. One in the bed and one on the rear bumper. I’m thinking on connecting the trailer to one and a jumper from the other (break plug pin only) bringing the wire into the cab through the rear window and plugging it into a volt meter to see how much break voltage is getting to the trailer while on the road using the breaks. On the return drive I will switch the trailer plug and reinstall the jumper in the second plug to see if both truck plugs are getting voltage and how much.
Also, any one with the RAM diesel join the Cummings Diesel Forum. There is a lot of threads covering the break problem with many just adding a completely separate trailer break controller. Doing that will be my last resort. HOPE THIS WILL HELP and please let me know how it works out for you. I have not done any of this yet but will do this by the end of April…… Good Luck… Also, if you live in Southern Oregon send me a PM and we could help each other. I have indoor parking for up to a 60-foot trailer under 14 foot high. No rain problems….
Tinman97423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Tinman,

One part of adjusting your brake controller in your RAM truck I didn't see addressed in your post. That is the "level adjustment". There are 3 "level adjustments" Light/Medium/Heavy. Many people consider that their adjustment consists of only the 10 numbers from 1-10 on the screen.

If you haven't set the "brake level adjustment" to medium or heavy, chances are you're only operating in the "bottom 1/3 of your controller capacity"....

I can't tell you how to access that feature in your brake controller adjustment software, but it's there and if you haven't addressed it, that may be your "only problem"....

If you've already done that, then disregard or maybe it'll help someone else. Good Luck with your problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #38
Tinman97423

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Tinman,

One part of adjusting your brake controller in your RAM truck I didn't see addressed in your post. That is the "level adjustment". There are 3 "level adjustments" Light/Medium/Heavy. Many people consider that their adjustment consists of only the 10 numbers from 1-10 on the screen.

If you haven't set the "brake level adjustment" to medium or heavy, chances are you're only operating in the "bottom 1/3 of your controller capacity"....

I can't tell you how to access that feature in your brake controller adjustment software, but it's there and if you haven't addressed it, that may be your "only problem"....

If you've already done that, then disregard or maybe it'll help someone else. Good Luck with your problem.
THANKS for the reply..... I did forget and I have it set for electric/heavy. Maybe I should try all? One just might work!!
Tinman97423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

The "cost to try" makes it worth the effort. It likely won't make a significant difference, but if you haven't tried everything, well.... You know how that goes... Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #40
Ken / Claudia

Just to add a comment about skidding tires, any tries. When a tire skids it has lost all rolling fiction, right?. With that in mind a skidding tire travels at a faster speed than a tire on another axle that is still rolling. That's why vehicles spin out with a single tire skidding and why a trailer with skidding tires jack knives.
Many cannot get that idea, it seems wrong that a skidding/sliding tire would travel faster than a rolling one on the same vehicle.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote