Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
mskeyspirate

Why Not use tape ???

In the last couple of years we have had a couple small leaks in our roof. So...up with the lap sealant I go. But ????? I have to wonder why folks don't use, (or at least talk about it) tape. Not the duct tape variety, but the stuff made by companies like Dicor and the like. I think it comes in 2 and 4 inch width. Says that removing it will cause permanent damage. Must be good right ? Anyway, why not use it for every seam on the top of the camper ?
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
CWtheMan

We’ve had our trailer 15 years and have numerous experiences with maintenance and materials needed to maintain our trailer.

Once, at about the 5-year mark we developed a small leak on our large slide. We contacted a local Keystone dealer for repair recommendations. They said they would be glad to fix it but also told us it would be very easy for us to do it ourselves. They also informed us that it was a normal condition much like having low tire pressure. If the condition was left unchecked and caused substantial damage it would be highly unlikely our insurance would cover the cost of repairs for something requiring normal maintenance by the trailer owner.

We got our repair tape from this company and always have unused tape on-hand. Just follow the instructions on the box and it lasts, in all weather conditions, for about 4-5 years.

https://www.bigrocksupply.com/store/...oofing%20tapes
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Laredo Tugger

Been a few discussions on here about Eternabond. Most have been positive. If I remember correctly, good prep and cleaning of adhesive surface is the key to it's durability after installation. I have never had to use that tape yet. (wood knocking sound)
As for every seam on the camper roof? I guess. Some discussions included the tape application for repairs and new vent or AC installs,but I don't believe every seam was mentioned. Could be wrong.
Good luck.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
We’ve had our trailer 15 years and have numerous experiences with maintenance and materials needed to maintain our trailer.

Once, at about the 5-year mark we developed a small leak on our large slide. We contacted a local Keystone dealer for repair recommendations. They said they would be glad to fix it but also told us it would be very easy for us to do it ourselves. They also informed us that it was a normal condition much like having low tire pressure. If the condition was left unchecked and caused substantial damage it would be highly unlikely our insurance would cover the cost of repairs for something requiring normal maintenance by the trailer owner.

We got our repair tape from this company and always have unused tape on-hand. Just follow the instructions on the box and it lasts, in all weather conditions, for about 4-5 years.

https://www.bigrocksupply.com/store/...oofing%20tapes
I followed your li k,, sounds like it's quite the stuff
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Eternabond works ok but works better if the edges are sealed with Dicor. Depends where the edges are; sides use non self leveling Dicor and on top, self leveling Dicor. Pretty much a permanent fix for small leaks.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskeyspirate View Post
... Anyway, why not use it for every seam on the top of the camper ?
For me, I can't speak for anyone else, but if you're asking the above question the way I think you're asking it, my response would be, "There are no "seams" on a properly installed roof, so no need to use anything to cover them. Going a step further, why put band-aids on places that don't have an injury?" If there's a reason for a patch, then Eternabond is a good choice for many of them, some are simply beyond repair and nothing would work except a replacement roof, but smaller, easy to repair problems, using Eternabond is a "go to choice".... But, only if it's necessary.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Eternabond tape in place of regular maintainer isn’t a good idea IMO. To repair a tear is a good idea. Forest River is using it to install roof components on the Sonoma and Stealth lines. Can’t even change out a vent without cutting the roof.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
mskeyspirate

Just to clarify...and yes there are seams. There is of course is a huge seam where the roof meets the sidewall all the way around the camper. We have had many leaks in our 2015 Keystone. 4 so far I believe ! The last one was caused by the dealer when they replaced the entire front cap of the camper do to water damage. Somebody forgot that little 1/2 in corner. They've committed to fixing it as soon as it comes out of winter storage, so now worries. But it just seems to me that the tape made by a few different companies is the obvious answer. Good adhesion, semi permanent, fairly cheap, and pretty dummy proof. I have not used it, but am sure considering it.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

If you decide to use "the tape made by a few different companies" be sure that the tape you choose is compatible with TPO roofing membrane material. There are several "generic roofing tapes" some sold at Lowe's and Home Depot, that are significantly cheaper than Eternabond. Some of them have petroleum distillates in the adhesive and it won't "outgas" once applied. That distillate will react with TPO and cause it to fail. So, be sure that the tape you purchase is compatible with the TPO on your roof.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #10
mskeyspirate

Thanks all...still not sure that I'm going to use the tape, I mean it's tempting, but I at least am armed with a little knowledge. As always I appreciate all the input.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

As Chuck pointed out when using the tape you cannot remove it without tearing the roof membrane. So, if you need to replace a roof vent, remove a front or rear cap, or remove the antenna you would incur a very high bill.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

https://www.campingworld.com/maintai...ir-maintenance

Camping World had a zillion products for different types of roof repairs. I have heard of few of these and wonder if there has ever been a comprehensive review of many of these products; most of the CW reviews are very low in number and not particularly helpful.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
https://www.campingworld.com/maintai...ir-maintenance

Camping World had a zillion products for different types of roof repairs. I have heard of few of these and wonder if there has ever been a comprehensive review of many of these products; most of the CW reviews are very low in number and not particularly helpful.
I think that most of us have 2 or 3 "go to products" that we use for roof maintenance and repair. The rest of that "zillion products" is, for the most part, a mystery to most of us. That's probably why you seldom see comprehensive reviews for most of them. Additionally, Camping World retail centers have a "fast moving inventory policy" and they stock what they sell, the rest of that "zillion products" is available as special order or online. So, when most of us "walk into the store to buy a tube of DICOR self leveling sealant" we don't even consider all the "off brands that are in the catalog" and we walk out with what we went in to buy. So, most of those "other zillion products" never even get used, they just sit "online for special order" and since nobody ever used them, there's no reviews.....

I know I'm reluctant to buy a tube of sealant that's 30 cents cheaper, but is a name I've never heard. I'll stick with what I know works. It's the same, at least for me, with Eternabond tape and most other maintenance products that I use on a regular basis. Heck, I'm even reluctant to buy 2" Eternabond, I've always had such good luck with the 4" rolls.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

I was kind of wanting to see if someone had tried Flex Seal or the tape version bwhahahaha - boy, talk about bad press all over the internet. For a good laugh, look at the youtube video of the guy slathering that stuff over pine needles. Love to have him follow up and see if any of the stuff had NOT pealed yet.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the MSDS for Flex Seal, it contains: Petroleum Asphalt, Crumb Rubber, Petroleum Distillates, Hydrogen Sulfide and Other Proprietary component with no exposure limits. http://www.mcoe.us/view/1668.pdf

According to the webpage for Flex Seal, the tape version is a "modification of the liquid" so the materials are likely to be the same with a slightly different ratio of ingredients so it's workable as a tape rather than a liquid.

Since it contains Petroleum Asphalt and Petroleum Distillates, I wouldn't apply it to my EPDM or TPO membrane, YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

I was kidding, of course. The Flex Seal goop contains petro distillates that EAT EPDM (not sure about the newer roofs) but they continue to add fixing RV roofs with it in their ads. Hope NO ONE thought I was suggesting the use of the stuff.

I bought a can of the spray that looks like it works great on TV. I have a downspout that was leaking like a sieve. Drove my tractor up to the downspout with a ladder in the wagon and got up on the ladder and started spraying. It is far too thin to do much good and the spray coated my face and much of my tractor. Fortunately, I got most off the tractor but still have the odd spot on my kisser. It didn't stop the downspout from leaking like a sieve.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

If it's on the "As seen on T.V." shelf in the drugstore I like to look at it, read the hype, you know, cures all ailments, cleanse your underwear so well that you have to find the label so you don't put them on backwards, etc. Then after getting a good chuckle I put it back and go go get my prescriptions. R.I.P. Ron Popeil.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #18
ken56

I think the point is to keep some Eternabond tape on hand for emergency roof repairs. I had affair sized branch fall out of a tree from a passing thunderstorm and poked a hole in the membrane. Just had another incident that I managed to drag a branch on my roof while making a tight turn in a park and had to fix those spots. Always keep some tape repair kits on hand. You never know.

One other issue I have is why do they not package the Dicore and Proflex caulk in smaller tubes instead of just the caulking gun sized tubes?
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
One other issue I have is why do they not package the Dicore and Proflex caulk in smaller tubes instead of just the caulking gun sized tubes?
I'm guessing is that they expect you to pile it on like the folks at the factory did mine, I've always assumed they must of gotten paid by the tube. The seam at front /back caps on mine the bead of caulk is about 3" wide the width of the 5er.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
This is just speculation, but I'd guess the reason the tubes are a standard size is so they fit caulking guns owned by users. Having two or three different size tubes would mean buying two or three different size caulking guns to fit all those tubes. I have a pneumatic caulking gun that cost me well over $100. I "cringe" at thinking I'd have to buy another caulking gun for 8 ounce DICOR tubes and yet another one for 6 ounce tubes and another one for 4 ounce tubes......

The automotive "after market" tried that with a "mini- grease gun". I've got one hanging on the tool board in my pole barn. Great concept, but I can only find two types of grease cartridges to fit the gun, neither of which is what I prefer to use, so it's not much more than a "paperweight"....

Imagine the competition with RV sealants. DICOR decides to offer 8 ounce cartridges of sealant, Pro Flex offers 9 ounce, Omni Flex offers 7 ounce..... What a nightmare !!!!! I'll settle for the standard size tube, one gun to fit everything and a bunch of screws to seal the ends of "partly used tubes" which are stored in the freezer in the garage for the season. Which reminds me, I've got a couple of tubes in the freezer from this past spring that I need to toss. Next spring I'll start over with fresh sealant when I do my "spring roof maintenance", all with tubes that fit one gun with one application style and one "user friendly trigger weight"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS