Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
Cracker

Deadbolt modification

On my previous trailers I’ve had an independent deadbolt that could not be operated from the exterior. My 2005 Cougar has deadbolts - but they can be operated by external key locks, rendering them virtually useless, IMHO, for security. Has anyone come up with a simple gadget that will secure the interior toggle on the deadbolt from rotating? I’ve envisioned a couple of “donks” but none that pass the “kiss” test.
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
bill-e

On Cougar the door and pass through key are the same style but are keyed differently. My thought would be to either use your spare pass though key or see if your local hardware store has a blank, then buy it, stick it in the deadbolt lock and break it off. Then the lock will only be able to be operated from the inside.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
On Cougar the door and pass through key are the same style but are keyed differently. My thought would be to either use your spare pass though key or see if your local hardware store has a blank, then buy it, stick it in the deadbolt lock and break it off. Then the lock will only be able to be operated from the inside.
Workable and simple - but I would still like to keep the deadbolt side of the lock in service from the exterior when leaving the trailer unoccupied. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
bill-e

So I didn't understand that you were asking. You want a way to disconnect the tumbler from the deadbolt when you're in the trailer? To me the easiest way would be find a RV lock with that feature or to add a second deadbolt something like this.
Gerda G200PC

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 05-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
So I didn't understand that you were asking. You want a way to disconnect the tumbler from the deadbolt when you're in the trailer? To me the easiest way would be find a RV lock with that feature or to add a second deadbolt something like this.
Gerda G200PC
My point is that I don’t want access via the deadbolt from the exterior by others, with or without a key, when i’m inside the trailer. My Airstream, my Award, and my Winnebago all had a third deadbolt that was not accessible from the exterior. My thought was that I could achieve the same thing with the key-operated lock on this rig by simply devising a means to prevent the lock from being operated from the exterior by somehow blocking the thumb latch on the interior?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
bill-e

You're right, immobilizing that thumb lever will prevent entry with a key from the outside, the key would snap before that lever moved.

My first thought was to drill a hole and insert a pin but not having taken the lock apart I don't know if that is possible.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 05-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Cracker

My reasoning behind wanting to do this is that I know the locks on our rigs are just about as flimsy as can be. I would guess that anybody with a screwdriver - much less a few standard “pass” keys - could open the lock about as quick as popping open a beer. I’m generally armed anywhere it’s legal - and that includes all of Maine - but I’d rather not have to clean up the mess! I keep eyeballing the door handle as an attachment point for some sort of gadget to secure the thumb latch but I haven’t quite figured it out yet.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
bill-e

Yea, same here. I have been thinking about a motion sensor porch light.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 05-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
xrated

Just a thought, don't know if it would work or not. Depending on the position of the thumb latch when it's locked, could you cut a small block of wood to place in there so that it was kind of wedged in place.....or maybe even drill a hole in the wooden block so that the thumb latch fits in the hole (slides over the end of it) and the block being big enough to keep it from moving

You would definitely want to make it snug enough to stay in place, yet easy enough to remove quickly in case of an emergency...fire....???
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Pass keys don’t work on the deadbolt tumbler.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Pass keys don’t work on the deadbolt tumbler.
If I was certain that there was far more than a dozen or so different keys for our deadbolts I’d be happy - but I’m willing to bet that, out of a dozen or so trailers, one of their dozen keys will fit at least two trailers. The simple fact that each of those dozen keys has been provided with the means to open many of the dozen handle locks (pass key mode) suggests that there is already a common element in their design. A blind deadbolt, or one that has a supplemental interior lock to defeat the external key lock (—-as do all of my home deadbolts) would be far superior. Lacking that latter feature on my trailer deadbolt, my goal is to find a way to provide it by simply immobilizing the interior thumb latch.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
RoscoeV

I'm sure that even with the deadbolt modified these doors can be easily ripped open with a big crow bar. With that said maybe a chain lock will prevent anyone from opening the door all the way without making a lot of noise.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod