Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #21
Frenshmen11

Not crazy about what I see here. I have a mess also but when I get back to the shop I'll be fixing this
Frenshmen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:51 AM   #22
Tinner12002

1. Yes
2. no
3. toy haulers w/100gal plus water tanks
4. no
5. no

We dry camp at Nascar races so we have to carry water when we go as they don't have hookups. Never noticed any difference towing with tanks full and never had any structure failures. But, I always try and fill tank full so water isn't sloshing front to back when starting and stopping causing extra stress on the tank and mounting system.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #23
Frenshmen11

Well I did find that they welded a cross member in backwards which made them add a price in that didn't work but it's all easy fix if you look for it. Keystones should get in touch with me and I bed I wasn't the first trailer to have this happen.
Frenshmen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:24 AM   #24
Desert185

This subject recently came up for me on another forum, as well. Given that I have a toy hauler and boondock from time to time, it would not be practical for me to have a trailer that prohibited towing with water, and Keystone doesn't not prohibit towing with water according to the manual I have. I always have a minimum of 20-25 gals regardless of where I'm going to camp.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:32 AM   #25
cocamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
This may be a topic of discussion on some forum thread, but I highly doubt an accurate depiction of fresh water tank support failures in the RV industry. My guess that out of the 100's of thousands of new RVs sold each year and millions of used RVs currently in service, the number of fresh water tank failures (for whatever reason) is incredibly small and irrelevant. Many people partial or completely fill their tanks prior to travel to their camping destination. I know I do. You just don't hear about tanks sagging or breaking free from their mounts or straps. It just doesn't happen with any predictability.

And if it did happen to a measurable amount of RV owners, warnings and cautionary literature (per the manufacturer) would be part of the walkthrough process.

So,

1. yes
2. no
3. Bullet 308BHS
4. yes
5. yes
Umm, yeah, read this

Have to vent.

Bought a new Keystone Carbon 364 Toyhauler last August, used a couple times last year. Used a couple times this year so far.

When we picked it up we noticed a sharp looking bulge underneath in the coroplast underlayer. But since you can't just access that, we let it go and drove home. After traveling about 2500 miles on the few trips (Moab, CO mtns, etc) we noticed the bulge getting lower and it looked like something was about to pierce the underbelly since the bolts holding it were tearing thru the coroplast.

I cut the coroplast, insulation, and unbolted the sides. That literally SAVED MY FAMILIES LIFE!!!

Two of the water tank support bars (the frame supports) were never attached on one end from the factory so they were just being supported by the coroplast. It was the forward end not attached so that if they would have fallen, they would have spiked into the road when traveling, which would have levered the water tank, dropped the electrical wires, propane lines, and other loose hoses being only held up by the underbelly onto the highway. Probably would have been a spectacular wreck attributed to driver error, of course.

Also, the tank is apparently missing one entire support bar nearest the tank drain, intake, sensors. This has distorted the entire tank, and towing with only two bars on bent the bars that were installed about 4 inches! So the tank distortion has now caused a water leak at the main drain.

I took pics that clearly showed the bars never being attached on one side and sent them to Keystone. The response I got was 'bring it to a dealer, that's what you agreed to'.

Sadly, in the Denver area, the Keystone RV dealers have a two month wait now along with a you didn't buy it here, so we will not service your unit policy.

So supposed to have a big trip to Moab with 6 other families and units over Memorial day, and my new Keystone Carbon Toyhauler leaks and can't be fixed!

**** *** !!! Keystone and your lack of quality control and warranty service! It's like they built this on a Friday and everyone decided to quit early to go drinking.

I'm going to try to contact the factory tomorrow and see if I can tow it back to IN from CO and see if maybe they aren't too busy pushing new units to fix this one. I'm not optimistic.

Any suggestion on fixing this are welcome.

thanks for reading the rant. $60k for nothing.

Raptor, Carbon, Fusion, Impact, Outback all built by Keystone. Please check your underbelly, and if you seen anything suspicious, check it out!
cocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #26
BGould

1 Yes I have traveled with water in the tank only 25+/- gallons, I will be traveling with it full in 2 weeks

2 I have now, I was flushing it in my driveway and noticed the plastic under belly sitting on the axles this was the first time I ever filled the tank up to 100%

3 2006 Raptor RP 3018, it is directly above all 3 axles

4 no noticeable difference at 25% probably wont notice the 850 lbs when full

5 I do not balance the load with water

Original braces are 2" wide 1" tall broke plate steel about 1/8" thick 63" long
they bowed down 5" in the middle that is not much support for 850 lbs of water in a flexible poly tank

New braces are 3" tall 2" wide 3/16" rectangle tubing, don't think I'll have any more issues
BGould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #27
cwool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocamper View Post
Umm, yeah, read this

Have to vent.

Bought a new Keystone Carbon 364 Toyhauler last August, used a couple times last year. Used a couple times this year so far.

When we picked it up we noticed a sharp looking bulge underneath in the coroplast underlayer. But since you can't just access that, we let it go and drove home. After traveling about 2500 miles on the few trips (Moab, CO mtns, etc) we noticed the bulge getting lower and it looked like something was about to pierce the underbelly since the bolts holding it were tearing thru the coroplast.

I cut the coroplast, insulation, and unbolted the sides. That literally SAVED MY FAMILIES LIFE!!!

Two of the water tank support bars (the frame supports) were never attached on one end from the factory so they were just being supported by the coroplast. It was the forward end not attached so that if they would have fallen, they would have spiked into the road when traveling, which would have levered the water tank, dropped the electrical wires, propane lines, and other loose hoses being only held up by the underbelly onto the highway. Probably would have been a spectacular wreck attributed to driver error, of course.

Also, the tank is apparently missing one entire support bar nearest the tank drain, intake, sensors. This has distorted the entire tank, and towing with only two bars on bent the bars that were installed about 4 inches! So the tank distortion has now caused a water leak at the main drain.

I took pics that clearly showed the bars never being attached on one side and sent them to Keystone. The response I got was 'bring it to a dealer, that's what you agreed to'.

Sadly, in the Denver area, the Keystone RV dealers have a two month wait now along with a you didn't buy it here, so we will not service your unit policy.

So supposed to have a big trip to Moab with 6 other families and units over Memorial day, and my new Keystone Carbon Toyhauler leaks and can't be fixed!

**** *** !!! Keystone and your lack of quality control and warranty service! It's like they built this on a Friday and everyone decided to quit early to go drinking.

I'm going to try to contact the factory tomorrow and see if I can tow it back to IN from CO and see if maybe they aren't too busy pushing new units to fix this one. I'm not optimistic.

Any suggestion on fixing this are welcome.

thanks for reading the rant. $60k for nothing.

Raptor, Carbon, Fusion, Impact, Outback all built by Keystone. Please check your underbelly, and if you seen anything suspicious, check it out!
This exact same thing is happening to my Keystone. I have a 2011 Fuzion that I notice was bulging down behind the axels, took the insulation cover off to find the supports were all bending down and one of them was never even screwed in. Im going to have to have all the supports redone with stronger metal now and hope that I can get my tank to get its form back because from sagging for so long its round now instead of square. Cant believe I have to deal with this after a few years of owning a $65,000 trailer..
cwool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water