Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
Jwiles58

Packin' RV

My son and I were having a discussion the other day about carrying a firearm in the RV. I told him I would post and see what others opinions were on carrying a firearm in the RV and concerns about differing State Laws. What's your opinion, do your carry, or not? Thanks
CURT Q20 w/Roller
Jwiles58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Javi

Yes, daily... but I only go places that allow me to do so... the other places don't want my money...
Old 05-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Canonman

Open carry keeps the creeps away. They see you and the predators go looking for an easier target. I personally don't want the intruder to guess if I might have personal protection with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8153 - Version 3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	16487  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Jwiles58

I was actually more interested in if you carry in your RV not on your person. I don't have an opinion on open carry/concealed carry etc. Just wondered if you kept a firearm inside the RV and what the legalities might be from state to state.
CURT Q20 w/Roller
Jwiles58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
travelin texans

What is the best truck to tow with?
What are the best rv tires?
Democrat or Republican?
And now!
This topic can & most likely will get ugly fast!
There are 2 groups;
#1 - HELL YES! ALWAYS!
#2 - HELL NO! NEVER!
My suggestion is check where you're headed & decide for yourself!!
Other than that, NO COMMENT!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
Carrottop

Just in case you were wondering, it is illegal on both your person and in your RV when travelling into or around Canada.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #7
instymp

Yes, lawfully, legally.
check the states laws here to get an idea.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

There are books written to help with the laws from state to state but, here is a big problem. Those laws can and do change as new laws are proposed and voted into law yearly or bi yearly. Nowadays it is what type of gun, caliber or magazine may be legal.
General guide for some, not all states. If you are allowed possession of a legal type gun in that state you can have it. Can it be concealed (hidden) in the RV? again each state has their own laws. There was a ruling years ago as I recall through the fed courts that said if the RV is parked and lived in (not rolling down the road) Your RV is your home and ie. your castle. Then if that applies the gun could be hidden as you could do in your home. Than if mobile a fed law allows for search without warrant in some cases. Named mobile vehicle exemption. Not easy to answer if always legal or not and in all cases and I will not try to.
The question was do I have a gun in a RV and yes I do or in the TV or on me. But, I am retired honorably full time police and still getting paid as a PT police officer. Both those positions say I am OK in Oregon always. There is a different Fed law HR218 that covers me when out of state.
Nowadays I am sure every state has their laws available on the web to read through but, not only reading them is important, it is a must to understand them and how they are applied.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
Dave W

Unless we are going into Canada, I will pack a shotgun though never a handgun. The various state laws are too complicated, including my state, NY or worse, New Jersey to chance.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #10
notanlines

As previously mentioned by Travelin Texan this can get out of line in a hurry. Let's keep it in the context in which the question was written so maybe we might gain some insight to the subject. Many thanks...
No, we don't travel armed. Yes, we both have Tennessee's permit to carry. Brenda was a firearms instructor at the Federal Prison in Memphis. I do all my own reloading and love to shoot. We simply choose not to bring along any firearms. YMMV
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #11
xrated

I always have a firearm with me, either on my person or in the truck when travelling or in the camper when out of the truck. I do have a TN HCP and it is valid in 38 or 39 states. Even at that, some campgrounds do not allow firearms and there are a whole host of rules and regulations to follow and know when travelling from state to state. We haven't started "really" travelling yet, as I'm still working for another 18 months, so it's pretty easy to stay up to date on TN, N.C. KY, GA, and AL. After that,if we do travel further out of our region, I will have to brush up on other areas too and know the rules for travel there with a TN. HCP.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I always have a firearm with me, either on my person or in the truck when travelling or in the camper when out of the truck. I do have a TN HCP and it is valid in 38 or 39 states. Even at that, some campgrounds do not allow firearms and there are a whole host of rules and regulations to follow and know when travelling from state to state. We haven't started "really" travelling yet, as I'm still working for another 18 months, so it's pretty easy to stay up to date on TN, N.C. KY, GA, and AL. After that,if we do travel further out of our region, I will have to brush up on other areas too and know the rules for travel there with a TN. HCP.
That's another very good point that some campgrounds, as well as more & more businesses I've noticed, have signs posted not allowing firearms. Whether those mean anything to those with permits, I don't know, but to those that are carrying I would think you should be finding out.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #13
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That's another very good point that some campgrounds, as well as more & more businesses I've noticed, have signs posted not allowing firearms. Whether those mean anything to those with permits, I don't know, but to those that are carrying I would think you should be finding out.
That too also varies between states. For example, some states it is a misdemeanor to bring a gun into an area that is properly posted with the correct and legal signage. Other places, you will not be in any kind of trouble if you are asked to leave and you comply.....again....varies by state.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
CaptnJohn

I have a NC permit, good in 36 states. The rest I stay out of as there will always be a weapon within reach.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #15
vampress_me

Hmm...and here I figured this thread was about what I’ve spent the last 2 days doing - cleaning and packing the camper for the summer - finally! Tomorrow, off to get bearing repacked.

But, to be more on-subject. I have a carry permit, will keep a pistol in the truck when we travel in the summer (in a locked box), but will not bring it in the camper. Maybe it’s because of where we all camp. Both in MN and out west we are in a campground of some sort and not boondocking. But, I’ve thought long and hard about a gun in a campground and have come to my decision that there is no way I’m ever shooting a gun there (too many people, too close together in flimsy-walled campers), so no need to bring it in the camper and take a chance with someone else getting a hand on it. And, there’s enough other things in our camper to beat someone over the head or other body parts with if they try coming in the camper.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:03 AM   #16
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwiles58 View Post
I was actually more interested in if you carry in your RV not on your person. I don't have an opinion on open carry/concealed carry etc. Just wondered if you kept a firearm inside the RV and what the legalities might be from state to state.
I just figured one went with the other...

But in retrospect, I reckon there are folks who don't carry on their person but keep one in their domicile and as has been stated, every state is different... Personally, I look it up before I go there and if they are restrictive in any way I take my money elsewhere... that includes campgrounds..

Been that way all my life... don't go where I ain't wanted
Old 05-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #17
MerlinB

One of the best references I have found on this topic is the "Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States." It is updated annually and contains a LOT of information. Of course laws change frequently so you have to be alert. Here in VA the new laws usually go into effect on 1 July every year. This booklet also contains a list of contact points (phone and internet) so you can verify the accuracy and currency of the information.

It is available from several sources. This is one:

https://www.ebay.com/i/162848819900?chn=ps
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #18
kksfish

Have a concealed carry in Virginia and usually carry when traveling without the fiver....when we are camping I often stay on Military Base CG’s so I don’t carry as most bases require to “check” all personal weapons in with PMO
Old 05-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #19
Nuke

Best be judged by twelve than carried by six!

I have one on each end of the TT, so it is easy to reach no matter where I am. If it isn't within an arms' length away, then it isn't useful.

I have no problem with the places that don't like that I have one (or two...) in my RV, I've just learned to move on - there's someone down the road that would be happy to take my money!
Sophie and Chloe (mini Schnauzers)
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

I have my ccp and carry daily. I also carry in my trailer depending on what I'm doing and where. As was mentioned, if a business, city or state doesn't want me to have/own a gun, I'm all about being somewhere else.

As far as carrying in the trailer a person needs to do what I do before going anywhere out of my state; read all the laws from whatever place/places you plan on visiting. If I am flat out prohibited from having a weapon (very few places) then I don't go. In the South there usually isn't any problem but as you move further N or either coast, things can get complicated. I generally print the laws for each state on a trip so I don't get confused (there are so MANY little differences) and I can reference them as required.

When looking them over note that there is a big difference in what you can have and where you can have it if you have a ccp. Also, when referencing the RV it is going to be considered in different ways; traveling it's generally like being a car but being detached and locked makes a difference. When stopped and you are staying in it, it is generally considered like a house and stand your ground/castle rules could apply. Just do your homework.

As the saying goes, "don't leave home without it" and that works for me. I have no concerns about using it wherever I may be because I will be trying to save my life, not target shooting. You don't pull the trigger unless it is your last stand - and I hope that doesn't come, but society is getting crazier and my kids keep moving to places I would not be in if they hadn't put themselves there

Here is a little link to give you an idea of the various laws - there are other sources. I used to look up the actual law of each state but that can get pretty tedious.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote