Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #51
JRTJH
Site Team

DMK,

Good luck on which ever way you choose to go. Keep us posted on your decision and the success/failure of your choices. Inquiring minds want to know... Happy Thanksgiving, even if tires aren't on your list of things to be thankful for......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #52
DMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
DMK,

Good luck on which ever way you choose to go. Keep us posted on your decision and the success/failure of your choices. Inquiring minds want to know... Happy Thanksgiving, even if tires aren't on your list of things to be thankful for......
Will do! Thank you all for your input! Hope I didn't come off too strong on any of it, it can sure be frustrating!

Happy Thanksgiving!

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 830 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #53
DMK

If you have Carlisel Radial Trail HD's take them off now!!!

*Update: After having all 5 tires replaced last fall, I had two more catastophic blowouts again the same day a couple of weeks ago. This time it did quite a bit of damage to the J-wrap and took out the DARCO in the wheel wells! Of course one on each side and after I had used my spare also had a coach-net call for help from the side of the Interstate! These Carlise Radial Trail HD's are junk!!! (Yes I have been weighed by smart weigh, use a Eez TPMS and do not drive over 65 mph!!). If you have them get rid of them tomorrow before they damage your rig! Discount Tire filed a damage claim on my behalf to Carlise. They also told me they are discontinuing this tire from stock from all the trouble others have had!

I have an appointment this next week at MORrhyde to upgrade to the 8K IS suspension/disc brakes and wheels & tires to the 235 70/ R17.5 G114 H rated and those damn Carlises couldn't get me there without failing and damaging my rig again!!! I am so ready to be over this junk!

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 830 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #54
Ken / Claudia

Ok, they are blowing up. What is the cause? What did the TPMS say before, loss of pressure, over heat, nothing? Your 1st post did not have any of that information either. Just you were warned.
I would have the tire co involved and make sure they get them for inspection, sounds like that may be getting done this time. The tire shop should have opinions after looking at them If they do not offer ASK them. I have had 2 blow outs my my truck and looked them over, my case was clear the rubber valve stems ripped out. I had several blow outs on patrol vehicles and each was easy to see why. Full metal valve stems are a must on a heavy vehicle.The tires were not the problem. On the patrol vehicles it was always road debris embedded into the tread. If you do not have metal valve stem get them now, buy them with new tires, 6 bucks each well spent. I am not a tire expert but by looking at the tire it will show reasons for the failure and tire shops at least the managers know what those look like.
Besides RVs trailers there are many other types, mainly work trucks driving around at full GVW every day. I know I weighed them.
Yellow Lab "Dacoda"
Retired Oregon State Police
Now a small town traffic cop
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #55
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
*Update: After having all 5 tires replaced last fall, I had two more catastophic blowouts again the same day a couple of weeks ago. This time it did quite a bit of damage to the J-wrap and took out the DARCO in the wheel wells! Of course one on each side and after I had used my spare also had a coach-net call for help from the side of the Interstate! These Carlise Radial Trail HD's are junk!!! (Yes I have been weighed by smart weigh, use a Eez TPMS and do not drive over 65 mph!!). If you have them get rid of them tomorrow before they damage your rig! Discount Tire filed a damage claim on my behalf to Carlise. They also told me they are discontinuing this tire from stock from all the trouble others have had!

I have an appointment this next week at MORrhyde to upgrade to the 8K IS suspension/disc brakes and wheels & tires to the 235 70/ R17.5 G114 H rated and those damn Carlises couldn't get me there without failing and damaging my rig again!!! I am so ready to be over this junk!
I’m not writing this in support of the Carlisle tires. It’s about the situation.

The fitment requirement for RV trailer axles requires the trailer manufacturer to use tires that supports its certified GAWRs. The actual statement in the standard says the trailer manufacturer gets to decide what’s appropriate and then certify that decision on the certification label. Guess who gets to set & certify those axles? You got it, the trailer manufacturer. Guess who’s the only one that can change those GAWRs once they’ve been certified? The vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier.

So, in your case, your trailer has 7000# axles. Fitted with ST235/80R16E tires. At the recommended cold inflation pressure they only provide 20# of load capacity reserves per tire for a fully loaded axle. The standard RVIA recommendation is a reserve of 10%, or tires with at least 3872# of load capacity. That’s a ST235/85R16F or ST235/80R16G at full sidewall inflation pressures.

The results of documented studies for trailers like yours have shown that approximately 50% were found to have an axle over loaded or tires on it under inflated. Another study shows that there is a 60% chance that a single tire position is over loaded or under inflated. That is a very damaging condition for tires that are already at, or nearly at, their maximum load capacity when properly inflated. Tires in those conditions degrade rapidly and the condition is invisible until it starts to fail. The first visible sign will be tire growth or bubbles in the sidewall. When they start getting taller they are real close to throwing the tread.

Here is a picture of two like sized and designed tires. The taller one is in full tread separation.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27625

Recommendations: Compare your OE tire load capacity to the certified GAWR. Normally going up a load range or two will insure a longer life expectancy from the replacements.
CWtheMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:45 AM   #56
ctbruce
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post

David, so sorry to hear of your troubles. That really sucks.

Is this a second series of Carlisle blow outs for you? In an older post, you replaced Trailer Kings to Carlisles in August of 2015. Having it happen once is bad. Twice would be devastating.

A lot of us run Carlisles, me included and will be curious about your issues. Do you know what the manufacture date is on the tires that blew? This information will surely help others out. Thanks for sharing your update.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #57
DMK

I don't get on here much and I do not get notifications to responses on this post so I am seeing the April responses today!

First to Ken/Claudia, no warning from TPMS until rapid pressure loss, no spike in temp or big change on pressure.

To CWtheMan, I am very meticulous about how my rig is loaded and at least once a year have been using smartweigh to get a wheel by wheel measurment with full fuel tanks, full fresh water, etc to have the worst case loading senario when weighed. I don't have the numbers handy as they are in the glove box of my RAM pickup at my in-laws. But I was not over, but was at maximum on nearly every category. We are full-timers so not hard to do. Since the last smartweigh I have switched over to an HDT as my TV and have transfered a lot of weight (mainly tools) over to the truck so those numbers should have improved a lot. I am planning on another visit to smartweigh when I get back out to the SW this winter.

To ctbruce, I will have to look back through archived pictures I know that I dd take pictures of all the DOT #'s.

Since my last post in April after my 8k IS upgrade and upgrade to GY 114 17.5 tires & wheels I have had no issues with any tires and have put on close to 15k. it was a lot of $, but so worth not having anymore tire issues, having a little more safety margin even though it's not official according to the sticker on the trailer. The suspension also is align-able so that will also be a nice benefactor down the road...

Old 08-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #58
bob91yj

Other than Discount Tires warranty, and tire pricing, mounting and balancing a tire
is not that difficult. I'd let most any tire shop do the work for me.

bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote