Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
gkainz

Winterizing black tank flush and city water

Perhaps this has been posted already, but I use the outside shower to winterize both my black tank flush and city water inlet.
Remove the shower head and fasten a 3/4" x 1/2" adapter ($6.50 brass)
or $0.99 plastic

to the shower hose. This will fasten directly to the black tank flush and the city water inlet, allowing one to circulate antifreeze into these lines.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
GaryWT

I find it interesting that the outside shower is connected to the black tank flush, seems to cross the good lines with the bad. My black tank flush has its own connection and goes straight to the tank so the connection is the only place to winterize it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Woodsrider

My outdoor shower head will not reach either the city water or the black tank flush.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I find it interesting that the outside shower is connected to the black tank flush, seems to cross the good lines with the bad. My black tank flush has its own connection and goes straight to the tank so the connection is the only place to winterize it.
Mine is the same as yours - it's not connected ... until I remove the shower head and replace it with the bushing pictured above and connect the hose to the black water flush inlet. Then I pump antifreeze into it, disconnect the hose and return it to shower head configuration.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrider View Post
My outdoor shower head will not reach either the city water or the black tank flush.
Using the above adapter and a short (or long!) chunk of standard garden hose, you could reach both of them.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
buzzcop63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
Perhaps this has been posted already, but I use the outside shower to winterize both my black tank flush and city water inlet.
Remove the shower head and fasten a 3/4" x 1/2" adapter ($6.50 brass)
or $0.99 plastic

to the shower hose. This will fasten directly to the black tank flush and the city water inlet, allowing one to circulate antifreeze into these lines.
$10 to $12 dollars and you can buy the hand pump kit, clear hose end threads into Black tank flush and other end has siphon hose to put into jug of RV Anti Freeze and a few pumps on the handle and the job is done. The pump is also handy to have to move fluids when needed. Sold at RV dealers, Camping World.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
$10 to $12 dollars and you can buy the hand pump kit, clear hose end threads into Black tank flush and other end has siphon hose to put into jug of RV Anti Freeze and a few pumps on the handle and the job is done. The pump is also handy to have to move fluids when needed. Sold at RV dealers, Camping World.
but for $0.99 (for the plastic bushing) I can winterize the whole rig using the built-in pump bypass valve and not have to pump anything?

Using a hand pump, how do you cycle thru each of the faucets inside? I do mine one at a time while the built-in pump does it's thing. I only have to step back outside to switch the hose from 1 empty jug of pink stuff to the second one to finish the job.

Not arguing that a hand pump would come in "handy" at times ...
Old 10-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

I think what he is trying to say is that a hand pump is useful to pump the pink stuff into these 2 spots:
1) the exterior city FW water connection and accompanying spring-loaded check valve; and,
2) the exterior connection to the black tank flush system including the valve in that line.

I didn't get the idea that he was suggestion using a hand pump to "cycle through each of the inside faucets".
Old 10-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
buzzcop63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
but for $0.99 (for the plastic bushing) I can winterize the whole rig using the built-in pump bypass valve and not have to pump anything?

Using a hand pump, how do you cycle thru each of the faucets inside? I do mine one at a time while the built-in pump does it's thing. I only have to step back outside to switch the hose from 1 empty jug of pink stuff to the second one to finish the job.

Not arguing that a hand pump would come in "handy" at times ...
Festus2 is correct, I use an adapter on the trailer water pump to pump from RV jug through all the trailer water lines and the hand pump for the Black and fresh tank inlet.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
pjhansman

I sense some confusion here....

Like gkainz, when I'm winterizing, I also use my outdoor shower nozzle to pump antifreeze into my black water flush and the city water inlet. Both connections are within a few feet of the shower.

Why would I want to hand pump when I can use the pump and line that's already full of antifreeze anyway?
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhansman View Post
I sense some confusion here....

Like gkainz, when I'm winterizing, I also use my outdoor shower nozzle to pump antifreeze into my black water flush and the city water inlet. Both connections are within a few feet of the shower.

Why would I want to hand pump when I can use the pump and line that's already full of antifreeze anyway?
pjhansman -

Using your outdoor shower hose connection will work to the job. In some cases, as one poster pointed out, the distance may require the addition of another length of hose to reach to the city water connection. In my case, for example, the coiled up hose isn't long enough so I bought a hand pump.

I could have made up a short hose to add onto it but ............

Not really any confusion ...... both methods will work - using a handpump or using the outdoor shower connection. Just make sure when you use the outdoor shower method that those lines do indeed have pink stuff in them.