Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
MConnelly

Atwood Furnace problem solution..At Last

I have been playing with the Attwood furnace on my '09 403 for almost a year.
Last night is was 18 degrees and the furnace worked, but only when I restarted the furnace by turning it of and on when the rig needed to be warmed up. Makes for a terrible night's sleep. (sometimes the furnace would regulate just fine for a few hours and then go off and stay off.)
This morning I took the control board out, cleaned all the spade connectors and generally looked over the whole thing.
Put it back together and left for the day. When I turned the furnace back on it would not turn back on. I hit the reset and the fan came on but no propane.
After several restarts I began to look for more issues than I had before I "fixed" it earlier that morning.

Remember when we used to check our cars ignition wires at night because we could see them leaking voltage? (Just dated my self. Crap)
As soon As I heard the igniter click I noticed an arc on the primary wire going to the gas valve solenoid. Easy fix, replace the wire. But the bloody thing still would not fire.
I re-checked all the spade connectors and while doing so the damned thing ignited and ran just fine. Hmm. Loose connection somewhere besides the spade connectors? Yep, you bet there was. On the blue line that comes off of the relay switch there was one of those absolutely useless, crimp on "T connector with the wire going to the circuit board "Teed" into it. God I hate those crimp on connectors. Every time I pushed or pulled on that connection the heater cut in and out. I cut the crimp connector out of the line and soldered the connection.
For the past two hours the furnace is working perfectly.
Check those $@#@^@%^U*&%$$**&^^%$ crimps if you are have trouble with your Attwood RV furnace. Cut them out and burn the suckers the next full moon.
I really do not like those bloody things!!
Hope this helps someone....
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConnelly View Post
Check those $@#@^@%^U*&%$$**&^^%$ crimps if you are have trouble with your Attwood RV furnace.
I am glad you found the problem and that it was a simple and straightforward fix.

There's a reminder for all of us in this. It's not just the furnace, but the entire trailer that will need this attention from each owner. The power distribution unit and the all the wiring in the area of the remote master unit are all full of crimp connections or screw-down fasteners. The best thing to do is to check each and every crimp and screw and splice for tightness. That's electrical troubleshooting 101!

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
MConnelly

Oh no!! you mean there are more than one of those unholy buggers on this rig? (humor)
Well there goes the summer. No rest until they are all exterminated!

Very good point though , Goes to the old adage "an ounce of prevention".
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
G-rob

I have a 2015 fuzion 345, Atwood furnace. After 2 months of use the furnace would not come on and heat up the room when the T-stat would fall below the temp I would have it set at. When I would turn the t-stat off then back on again the furnace would come on run through its normal cycle warm the room up like it should and shut down just like normal. Once the room fell below the temp it was set at u can hear the electrical click the t-stat makes when it is telling the furnace to come on but nothing happens at the furnace. Is that what was going in with yours?
I have had the furnace control board replaced twice and both times within half a day right back to the same problem, my t-stat ( Coleman Mack) works the AC just like it should work so I don't believe it's a T - stat issue.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Grob
The above posts are "old" --- back to end of March 2013 so I wouldn't expect a reply anytime soon.