Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2023, 03:27 PM   #1
RStarkey

Memory foam mattress pad storage

Has anybody know of a vacuum seal back that we could store a memory foam mattress pad in. Would be nice to be able shrink it up.
Thanks Rick
RStarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:39 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStarkey View Post
Has anybody know of a vacuum seal back that we could store a memory foam mattress pad in. Would be nice to be able shrink it up.
Thanks Rick
Those type bags are out there. This is from Amazon UK... suspect you can find similar closer to home:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mattress-Sh.../dp/B082SJ2NYQ
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:53 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStarkey View Post
Thanks Rick

I don't know of any particular one these days but I do know they make them so you may have to do a little googling. We have 2-3 that DW puts stuff in and you can either self compress them or use a shop vac. It will pull them down surprisingly tight and firm...sort of like a vacuum sealer. We've had them for years and have no idea where we got them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:01 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You really don't need a "high dollar special bag" to store the mattress topper. Just fold it up, (or roll it if you prefer) and put it in a large Hefty black trash bag. Then take an old hand towel, fold it in fourths and lay the towel on top of the mattress topper, put the vacuum nozzle in the bag opening with the nozzle resting on the towel (so it will have a means to suck air out of the bag without the bag closing over the end of the nozzle). Twist the bag around the nozzle several times (like closing a bread bag) and turn on the vacuum. The air in the Hefty trash bag will begin to be drawn out of the mattress topper and the entire bag, topper and hand towel will begin to compress and shrink in size.

Once enough air is removed, twist the bag at the end of the nozzle and use a baggie tie to seal the opening so air can't leak back into the bag.

In the spring, be sure to remove the mattress topper and let it "refill itself with air" for about 24-48 hours before using it.

Total cost "nothing, since all the parts needed are already on the shelf in your laundry room.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:37 PM   #5
peanut

I have been contemplating this also. We don't have guests often - perhaps once of twice a year for two/three nights at a time.

Our guest bed is the dinette and my wife insists that when we need it we use a topper over those thin seat pads. But a foam topper, once expanded, takes up a lot of room even when rolled up.

Is vacuum bagging safe for foam toppers if they are left that way for months (and months) at a time? Can permanent damage occur to foam/memory foam/gel foam happen if they are sucked up tight for 10-12-14 months at a time? Would sucking up a folded and then rolled up topper cause damage if done long term?

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:08 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I have been contemplating this also. We don't have guests often - perhaps once of twice a year for two/three nights at a time.

Our guest bed is the dinette and my wife insists that when we need it we use a topper over those thin seat pads. But a foam topper, once expanded, takes up a lot of room even when rolled up.

Is vacuum bagging safe for foam toppers if they are left that way for months (and months) at a time? Can permanent damage occur to foam/memory foam/gel foam happen if they are sucked up tight for 10-12-14 months at a time? Would sucking up a folded and then rolled up topper cause damage if done long term?
They ship many foam mattresses in bags that have had the air removed and when you open them, it takes a few hours for them to regain their original thickness and shape. If manufacturers do it, guessing it doesn't hurt to put them in a bag and vacuum to compact them.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:15 PM   #7
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
They ship many foam mattresses in bags that have had the air removed and when you open them, it takes a few hours for them to regain their original thickness and shape. If manufacturers do it, guessing it doesn't hurt to put them in a bag and vacuum to compact them.
Yeah. Got a 3" gel foam topper a few months ago. It was vacuum packed and was in a suprisingly small box. But it included a sheet of paper with the disclaimer, "DO NOT LEAVE UNOPENED FOR LONGER THAN 4 WEEKS AFTER DELIVERY".

Thus the concern about damage possibilities with extended, long term storage in that state. I have googled the question but can not find anything that addresses that particular concern.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress, storage