Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
Hey Louie

6 Point Level Up Auto. Retract

Question about the Auto retract feature. The way I understand it is that you press right and left for the RV to return to the hitching height. Do you have to manually raise the rear jacks prior to pressing right/left? If not doesn't that put a lot of pressure on the rear jacks when the front has to rise?
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you use the “hitch height” or “auto reconnect” feature, the rear jacks will retract THEN the front jacks will return to the height they were when you started the “Auto Level” function.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
Hey Louie

Thanks. Didn't want to get things "jacked up" on the new 5er.
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
travelin texans

Be aware that after unhitching, auto leveling if you do any manual adjustments after this point it will not go back to memory hitch height.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #5
SC Dreamer

Also, if the starting position is not high on front, it will tell you the function is disabled when you try.
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:12 AM   #6
Pmedic4

Thumbs up Remember how to use the Auto leveling system

I have to add, Keystone put the instructions on how to use the Auto-Leveling system right there in the storage area of our fifthwheel, across from the control buttons. Not using it for 2 weeks at a time does make it hard to remember the steps for leveling and hooking back up, even though it is not complex.

We really like the auto leveling feature, and it works well.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:27 AM   #7
DMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you use the “hitch height” or “auto reconnect” feature, the rear jacks will retract THEN the front jacks will return to the height they were when you started the “Auto Level” function.
The 6 point level up does not work that way on my 2013 Raptor 300mp. If I select the left & right for this "hitch height" feature it returns to hitch height, but does not retract the rear jacks. In addition the hitch height feature only works if the nose dips below level during the auto level procedure, if it does not, the feature will be disabled. This is backed up by the 6 point level up users guide instructions on page 5.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ers_Manual.pdf

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #8
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
The 6 point level up does not work that way on my 2013 Raptor 300mp. If I select the left & right for this "hitch height" feature it returns to hitch height, but does not retract the rear jacks. In addition the hitch height feature only works if the nose dips below level during the auto level procedure, if it does not, the feature will be disabled. This is backed up by the 6 point level up users guide instructions on page 5.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ers_Manual.pdf

Same on my 2016 Alpine. I've tried this a few times and just doesn't work properly, so stopped trying to use it. Auto-retract however is pretty handy. You don't have to stand there and get the rear legs all the way up before hitching up. Once you get the 5er hitched, select the auto-retract feature and it will retract all of the legs for you.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

So if you turn the system ON and then use the scroll feature to the left of the screen, it wont show "auto reconnect" or "hitch height"?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
Alpine

Mine works as described by DMK! Right & Left buttons...returns to hitch height... rear jacks remain extended. If this causes excessive stress on the rear jacks it has not become apparent as every thing operates properly. Knock on wood!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

So I have to ask: if you turn the system on, can you use the up/down arrows just to the left of the LCD screen to scroll to auto reconnect or hitch height?

There are a couple of variations to the 6 point Level up pad. I was going by the one described in the link DMK posted. The pad that is used in 6 point level up with LCI “one control”.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
DMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
So if you turn the system ON and then use the scroll feature to the left of the screen, it wont show "auto reconnect" or "hitch height"?
No it does not, I have linked to the online users manual above and mine works the way it is outlined in the users guide page 5. However mine does not have one control, that may be different...

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

6 Point Level Up Auto. Retract

Interesting. I’ll have to ask Lippert about that. I wonder if the “software” is different from one manufacturer (keystone) to another (Grand Design). Even without One control, the auto reconnect is an option you can scroll to.

Just one more change us techs need to know about.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:30 AM   #14
ChuckS

I prefer to manually retract my four rear legs and then raise or lower LG to hitch .. I tried the auto hitch feature and
Don’t like the idea of rear legs being down if front needs to lift for rehitch height .. auto Ievel works great

Also mine has no auto hitch selection in menu. Have to use left and right arrows.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #15
Barbell

The first thing I do when getting ready to hitch is to turn system on, then press both left and right buttons at the same time and the rig moves to nose-up attitude as it was when first unhooked. All jacks work together; the fronts extend and the rears retract slightly. Back the truck under the rig and stop where the king-pin is about a foot from the hitch. Lower the rig so the king pin will slide up onto the hitch as I back into it. Been doing it this way for 5 years w/o a problem.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #16
larryflew

Ours is an add on Lippert. Added to a 2011 Alpine in 2014. All jack stay put as it pushes the nose up to hitch level. Then auto retract them all.

Those worried about the jacks in rear being down need not. The small jacks in the middle and rear are rated at 7500 pounds each. No way even the heaviest of trailers has that much fulcrum weight when the front raises a bit. Had a Lippert rep come to replace 4 bad lifts of the 6 (one front and 3 rear and middle. He lifted our 16,500 pound trailer off the ground while testing. SO, even though Lippert says not to use them for changing tires I have also done that since then although still attached to the truck so not near the weight of whole trailer.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #17
Mikendebbie

"I prefer to manually retract my four rear legs and then raise or lower LG to hitch .. I tried the auto hitch feature and don’t like the idea of rear legs being down if front needs to lift for re-hitch height"

I have been doing mine the same way - probably out of habit from hooking up RVs (fifth wheels, travel trailers and popups) for years...but also because I am not sure at what point you are supposed to press "left/right" buttons to remember the height position.

I still unhook "old-school" way. I pull into a site, chock the wheels, pull the hitch jaw lever, and manually run the front legs down until kingpin moves slightly - then drive the truck forward out and away from the unit...then push "autolevel" and let it go to town! Should I push "left/right" first before pushing "autolevel" (so that it remembers the height off of the truck)? I figured I would catch somebody setting up in a campground someday and start asking questions, and just keep doing it old-school until I got new-schooled.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #18
Irv gates

Here is another thought when using the leg jack system. The manuf recommends that you dont hook up to Elect before using jacks. There has been problems with stray currents knocking out the control panels. When yo take a camper in for repair... Ask the dealer if they have surge protection on their Equip. . Otherwise you might be looking for a new TV, Frig repair, and a Microwave. Ig
Irv gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #19
travelin texans

If electronics get fried while in for service that's on their insurance & be sure to check everything they were "supposed" to fix along with everything else BEFORE leaving their lot.
I have a surge protector/EMS that's connected EVERY time I plug in.
Anyone buying a rv SHOULD get one & in my opinion they should come as standard equipment on EVERY rv sold. If you buy a new rv & your dealer starts giving all the cheap water hoses, sewer hoses, the worthless water "restrictor", tell them you'd rather have the surge protector/EMS instead, you can go to Wal-Mart & buy as good or better of the other stuff.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #20
Brentw

Mikendebbie, your disconnect process is spot on. After auto level, as long as you do not restart or do any manual changes, the next time you power up, hit left/right at the same time and it should return to hitch height. Back up to pin, readjust height to slightly pick up trailer when you back under. Lock up pin and auto retract.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote