Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #1
K_N_L

3rd AC in Fuzion Toyhauler

I took my rig to have the 3rd AC installed. It is pre-wired for the 3rd AC in the garage. I removed the cover plate and saw a 3 wire 110 line all taped up and wire nutted - and another light weight line, assumed it was the thermostat line.

Now the CW guys say that 2nd line is 12v and not to the thermostat, and i have to use a locally controlled unit AC unit. 1) calling BS is my first theory, and 2) being so far up in the ceiling you'd need a step ladder to turn it on off.

From what I read from others with haulers in the same design/class I believe these guys arent up to speed on this. Any thoughts guys/gals? I'm about to call Keystone as well but you know how that goes.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Thermostat lines are either 4 wires (Red, Green, Yellow, Black) or 6 wires (R G Y B Blue, Orange/brown). Typical 12 volt lines are 2 wires (black/white)... What's in your ceiling? That roof vent may be wired for either a 110 volt air conditioner or for a 12 volt vent fan and the service center may be telling you the truth. Go look for yourself, then you'll know what for sure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
K_N_L

Thanks, I looked before I dropped it off and believe it's a 2 wire. And Keystone confirmed it was only power and not a thermostat line. So-- DW wants it anyway for the grandkids. Looks like to me if you cut that big a hole in the roof to chase a line from the middle unit back to it (prolly 10 foot) wouldnt be impossible but would have to disassemble the living room unit to daisy chain the wiring.

Kevin -n- Lisa
06 HD Ultra Classic
Old 07-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
outlaw85

What about a non-ducted A/C with remote?

I don't know if this fits your vision but to give an idea.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Air-Cond...T15025-21.html

Also, I've only started searching myself so I don't know a lot. I've seen some Dometic kits that convert an analog AC (knobs on unit) to digital for wiring a thermostat control panel. This would still require getting wiring from AC to preferred location though.
outlaw85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
MattHelm21

Mine had two AC’s at the time of purchase and knowing it was prewired for a 3rd AC, I had it installed. The dealer wired it to the thermostat but I don’t know if they had to run any wiring. I expect not. I have 3 zones. Check your garage for the temperature sensor on the wall. If you aren’t sure what it looks like, check your bedroom where I’m sure you’ll find one. If the garage has one then the thermostat wiring should be in place.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
Brentw

On my 2015 325 fuzion, I have 2 units, one in front bed and other in garage. there are a 2 ducts ( one on each side of ac units) running the full length on the trailer. I am assuming that is a standard build. The AC unit in the garage has the heater element and the thermostat is on the forward wall near the washer dryer connections.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #7
Drennen7

My first Fuzion had a third AC unit installed by the previous owner. It was in the middle of the camper but had local controls on the unit like you described (needed a step ladder to adjust fan and temp.) The power was routed through a switch in the cabinet under the TV and had to tied into the Microwave circuit. So position one was AC, position 2 was Microwave. It was not ideal. But you could probably locate at least the on/off switch somewhere easily accessible and just leave the unit set to the fan speed and temp you use most. Just a thought?

2016 Fuzion Chrome 414
2013 Ford F-350
Drennen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
whcarr

2017 fusion 371 Xedition, pre wired for 3rd ac (power 2 thermostat wires) camping world said easy job, 3 days lots of bs. Finally ended up with unit with controls on ceiling. During the process I contacted keystone absolutely useless. My thermostat owners manual showed needed equipment and wiring,camping world wouldn't use this diagram. Just got sick of the bs and settled for it that way. Better then no air for guest, but could only run 2 at a time. So I rewired a new pass thru used wire molding put a 20amp wall switch. Now I can run all 3, and turn the rear on and off with the switch. Not perfect, but works.
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
K_N_L

Thanks for the replies, I got it back yesterday with the controls on the unit, its not all that bad as it is is mainly for whoever is sleeping on the top Happijac anyway. What DW isnt happy with is that the load sharing is with the bedroom unit. Even thought the bedroom unit is primary she and I like the constant air moving at night rather than cycling on and off, so I am looking at other wiring options. I found my power share switch under the kitchen drawers btw.

Kevin -n- Lisa
06 HD Ultra Classic
Old 07-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
K_N_L

So I looked up the power distribution box (https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...30-English.pdf) and having a open breaker position on the left side added a new Square D HomT 20/20 breaker. I only needed 1 side of the new breaker so the other breaker connection is open. On the left side of the panel is the washer / dryer (not used) fireplace (not on with A/C) GFI (fridge and all related receptacles) and A/C unit 1(living room). Pulling the 3rd AC wiring out of the power sharing box was easy enough and was pulled back to the power distribution box. Now I can run basically any / all of the 3 A/C's without issue. I mainly wanted the ability to run both bedrooms in the evening. I ran all three on my generator for about an hour with no issues (nothing else on but the fridge), stagger the startup and allowed to stabilized between turn on's. DW always asks before using the hair dryer so I've got that going for me which is nice. I zip tied the power sharing box back to it original spot behind the drawer. There is some double sided tape back there it was supposed to be attached to. And lastly on the topic of RV build quality- there were 2 inch cut ends of the wiring feeds left inside the box (-rattling around in there for future fun).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	17439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	17440  

Kevin -n- Lisa
06 HD Ultra Classic
Old 07-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #11
whcarr

What model and year is your fuzion? The junction box for the two ACs was under the kitchen drawers? Tried following my wire run, disappeared under the bath room seemed to be headed into wall. I am happy with the way I resolved mine, but may try to locate the junction box to power an out let near 3rd AC to use when running the generator. Bill
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion, toyhauler