Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #21
daveinaz

Yes, it was hard to me to believe it too -- that the sliders needed battery to operate. My PO told me that all they needed was shore power to work, but he was uninformed. I had to go get a couple new batteries and then they worked just fine. But after reading what ChuckS wrote about needing the reserve amperage capacity from the batteries, it makes sense.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #22
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpankowski View Post
Thanks, but I think you misunderstood my question. I don't have any a/c in the storage area and want to use the TV to operate the slides without batteries installed.
It might work, depends on what your TV line to your rig is fused at. The slide motor draws a lot and your charge line from the TV may not be able to handle it.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #23
WJQ

The power converter on my 2018 Cougar is a WFCO 8955. My slide is on the small size -- about 8 ft. I have only owned it a couple of months and did not even buy batteries until yesterday. I have been running the slide this winter using my Honda 2000 as the shore power while I make cabinetry modifications. The power converter is rated for 55 amp DC output. After seeing the caution above, I checked with the manufacturer and this converter has plenty of power to operate the slide.

Note, the DC fuses are not clearly marked in my unit as to their purpose but none is more than 15 amp.
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #24
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJQ View Post
The power converter on my 2018 Cougar is a WFCO 8955. My slide is on the small size -- about 8 ft. I have only owned it a couple of months and did not even buy batteries until yesterday. I have been running the slide this winter using my Honda 2000 as the shore power while I make cabinetry modifications. The power converter is rated for 55 amp DC output. After seeing the caution above, I checked with the manufacturer and this converter has plenty of power to operate the slide.

Note, the DC fuses are not clearly marked in my unit as to their purpose but none is more than 15 amp.
I have the same converter and I asked WFCO if the converter could be damaged if I operate my slide with a slide motor rated at 30 amps and all I got back was a short "Yes, it could be damaged". So I think that it's best not to do it routinely because it is overloading the converter everytime you start the slide motor but an occasional operation of the slide without a battery is not something I would worry about.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpankowski View Post
I keep my 5th wheel in storage for the winter. I remove the batteries and keep them on a battery tender all winter in the garage.

My question is can I connect the TV and keep it running and operate the slides without reinstalling the battery?

This is the first winter i've had to put the trailer in storage, usually i keep the batteries installed and leave the unit plugged into a/c servie.
thanks
Usually the charge wire from your tv is small gauge, so it might blow a fuse. I have used jumper cables from my tv to the cables on the rv to power jacks & slides & works fine.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #26
johnlewis

Also, if you try to close the slides with RV battery low, relying on the TV battery to move the slides, the current draw might burn up wires in the connection from the TV. Wiring from the RV battery to the hydraulic pump or slide motor is heavier gauge wiring than from the TV to the RV battery.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:48 AM   #27
ddibon

Ohm's Law. You likely have one a deep cycle or marine battery. It is unable to deliver the amp demand of the slides. High amp pull in the setting of "relative" low voltage equals heat. Your RV DC charger delivers 2 amps. Your slide pull will be above 30 amps. Some pull 80. Get more battery.
ddibon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power