Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #21
fjr vfr

I view my installed ladder kind of like my spare tire. I'm glad it's there when needed.

When I can plan ahead for going on the roof I use something else more appropriate.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #22
PSD Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I ordered a Fifth Wheel and wanted a ladder. They refused to deliver with a ladder installed. They sent the ladder but the dealer also refused to install. I have been trying to find out where the backing is located on the 2019 Sprinter Campfire 29FWBH. Why is is so hard to get information from this company.? Does anyone know?

Hi we have almost the exact same model but it's a 2018 and 29FWRL. Ours did not have a ladder from the factory. I'm pretty sure our dealer had your specific model on the lot with the ladder already on it from the factory when we drove thru there lot looking at all the models. LOL!

We requested one to be installed before picking it up and the dealer had to verify with Keystone first. They called me back the next day and said Keystone gave the okay because it was "prepped for it at the factory". So we had to pony up another $400 and the dealer installed it for us.

We camp at a lot of campgrounds with trees overhead or right next to the trailer so before putting all 3 slides in I go up the ladder with a broom and sweep all leaves, pine-cones, berries, etc. off the slide roofs before retracting them in. Amazing how much tree junk can accumulate up there in just a weekend!

I know there are a lot of different ladders but the one on ours feels secure and solidly mounted, it is however very narrow but for what it's purpose is I can live with that.
PSD Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:48 AM   #23
WiscTraveler

PSD Andy is it possible for you to post a picture of your ladder mounted on the back of your trailer and also please measure looking from the back of the trailer the distance from the bottom right ladder mount to the outside and bottom edge of the trailer. Thanks
Old 01-24-2019, 05:25 AM   #24
Northofu1

I bought a Metaltech 15' 5" telescopic ladder. It is light and compact. So far it's proven itself.
https://www.metaltech.co/products/15-telescopic-ladder/

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #25
goodellj

I have a ladder and it seems narrow, awkward, precarious, and I use it about 6 times a year when I need to inspect or work on the roof. I don't like going up or down because I am afraid of heights, so coming down is a nice feeling of relief that the experience is over. But it seems solid to me and I have been looking for any looseness and checking to make sure the screws stay tight. The sticker says the capacity is 300 lbs, which is good because I weigh 230. Of course the camper wiggles and shakes a bit when I am going up and down, adding to the unpleasant experience!
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #26
bsmith0404

The Sprinter Limited comes with a ladder, the Campfire is a stripped down Sprinter to offer a cost saving alternative. One of the items stripped off is the ladder. I will contact my factory rep to see if I can get info on backing reinforcements and locations for a roof ladder.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #27
BadmanRick

We have a Bullet Premier Ultra Light it also does not have a rear ladder. The dealer advised there is no provision for a ladder because the roof is a NO WALK ON ROOF. I checked with Keystone and they confirmed the same thing. When the dealer works on the roof they have to disperse the weight with large boards. Keystone does not want you to walk on the roof which will void the warranty. Just saying.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #28
bsmith0404

The bullet and passport are ultra lights and have a different roof that is not walkable

It was just confirmed to me that the Sprinter Campfire and Sprinter Limited use the same wall and the dealership service department can contact Keystone to order the ladder and get installation instructions.

You just need to find a dealer that is willing to install the ladder, There are some liability concerns for dealerships installing roof ladders. I don’t know if Keystone would send the information to an owner, again probably a liability concern. Good luck.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #29
Leatherman

Ladder

I have a 2018 24RKPR and my warranty ppw says specifically that if a ladder is not installed from the factory that the roof is not a full walk on roof.

Be cautious installing an aftermarket ladder. I would suspect that if you log a warranty claim with anything with the roof that they can say you damaged it.

Use a free standing ladder.
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #30
Genek

As I was told the roof is of thinner construction when a “no walk zone” (no ladder is present) exists so no ladder is provided to protect them from claims. Be careful...
Genek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:22 AM   #31
PSD Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscTraveler View Post
PSD Andy is it possible for you to post a picture of your ladder mounted on the back of your trailer and also please measure looking from the back of the trailer the distance from the bottom right ladder mount to the outside and bottom edge of the trailer. Thanks

I will get you that measurement this weekend. We cover it when its not used, but the back unzips and rolls up. So I shouldn't have any trouble getting that even though the cover is layered in snow up top.
PSD Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:08 AM   #32
66joej

Don't know whether or not there are backers for a ladder on "lite" trailers but an easy way to see if your roof is safe to walk on take down trim at one of the roof vents. If the OSB/plywood is 3/8" or thicker it should be safe to walk on. My old '13 Cougar 1/2 ton series did not come with a ladder but has the thicker roof decking. I'm 225# and walk on it regularly with no problems. Been doing this for years. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #33
JimSchwenk

Same ladder story here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The website does indicate that all the Sprinter Campfire trailers are "backed for rear ladder" as a standard feature. The website does not indicate where the ladder backing is located and I can't find a photo of a 29BHS with a ladder installed, so I have no idea where the backing might be. Typically Keystone Customer Service will not divulge that kind of information to customers. Don't ask me why, I can't answer that, but they will usually give the dealership service department the necessary information for them to install the ladder properly. You may need to "lean on the service manager" and use your leverage of having bought and paid for the ladder by demanding (politely and firmly) that he provide you with the instructions or install the ladder.....

This is a "more flies with honey than with vinegar" situation, but the dealer really should step up to the plate and get you the info.
We purchased a 29RB Campfire in 2016. Same thing in the brochure, built with the backing for the ladder. Oh, boy, no more having to load up a ladder every trip. It was a stock unit so when we took delivery I asked about getting the ladder installed and was told that Keystone will not provide my dealer with any diagrams or drawings which show how the thing is really constructed. They said they've never gotten info from Keystone upon request...
After multiple requests, I just dropped the issue and still keep my Harbor Freight 17 foot foldable ladder at the campsite and throw it in the truck when I hit the road. I've got far bigger fish to fry than fighting over a ladder.
My experience with this dealer and others is that talent wise they are a step down from automotive shops regarding service mangers and techs. No offense to you guys who work for dealers, but IMHO they are in the business of selling campers and making ridiculous profits, not fixing things right or keeping promises.
Fight for your warranty work and after it expires, develop a habit of figuring things out and fixing them yourself or enlist a handy buddy or nephew (and read every post on this great forum!). I have no use for dealers other than as a place to buy a TT. And as with others who post here, I love camping enough to lay out big bucks and solce my own problems.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #34
PSD Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscTraveler View Post

Got your measurement today. The right vertical rail of the ladder is 4.25" from the sidewall of the camper, that's centered on the round tube. Couldn't get good pictures being the cover is snowed and icy so you'll have to get by with some random summer pics I had saved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	20040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	20041  
Old 01-28-2019, 04:13 AM   #35
WiscTraveler

Great and thanks a lot PSD Andy that will do just fine.

Tags
ladder