Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #21
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleontow View Post
Wow I stand corrected.... This one is new to me, as recently a friend was at DMV and was told a bit different. Thanks
People working at the DMV have no clue about the RV/trailer requirements, when I went in to take the test for Restriction 41 (the '5th wheel endorsement'), they'd never heard of it, I had to show them where to look it up in the handbook so they'd know what test to give me, etc.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #22
Mad Cow

The beauty of having a CDL A with all endorsements along with a Motorcycle endorsement. Can operate any vehicle that can go down a road.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #23
louielouieohoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Chuckster57,
Wow! This is new! I checked this very closely last year and there was no endorsement required for a 5er 10 to 15k. Darn sneaky DMV!
Well, I'm leaving Wednesday so if the CHP gets me, they get me?
louielouieohoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #24
Garyd1612

Here are the California requirements for the Class A noncommercial:Travel Trailer/Fifth Wheel (Noncommercial Class A)
— Over 15,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or a trailer coach over 10,000 pounds GVWR, when the towing is not for compensation.
Garyd1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #25
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyd1612 View Post
Here are the California requirements for the Class A noncommercial:Travel Trailer/Fifth Wheel (Noncommercial Class A)

— Over 15,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or a trailer coach over 10,000 pounds GVWR, when the towing is not for compensation.

Yes

Conventional (ball/tongue) travel trailer under 10k, regular class C

Over 10k then a non commercial class A is required

Fifth wheel under 10k regular class C
Fifth wheel 10-15k a restriction 41 endorsement. Over 15k requires a non-commercial class A

The confusion likely is with the fifth wheel 10-15k only requiring endorsement/restriction, whereas the travel trailer over 10k or 5th over 15k requires a non-commercial class A.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #26
Laredo Tugger

So all large 5er owners in CA are going to be required to study and take the test (written and driving) regularly,get and maintain a medial certificate, pay outrageous fees and be subject to more stringent laws while driving anything besides their TV and 5er Yes, if you read the rules they do not like their Class A certified drivers misbehaving in whatever they drive. Just a few more chips away at the block called freedom if you ask me. Give it a couple of years and,in CA you are going to need a Class A to tow a tent trailer with a Ford Ranger (or any small,less than 150 pick up).
It's all about REVENUE in that state. Period.
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Yes

Conventional (ball/tongue) travel trailer under 10k, regular class C

Over 10k then a non commercial class A is required

Fifth wheel under 10k regular class C
Fifth wheel 10-15k a restriction 41 endorsement. Over 15k requires a non-commercial class A

The confusion likely is with the fifth wheel 10-15k only requiring endorsement/restriction, whereas the travel trailer over 10k or 5th over 15k requires a non-commercial class A.
I did not know about the conventional travel trailer requirement, And I can bet none of our sales staff knows that either.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #28
travelin texans

I know California is broke needs all the revenue they can come up with but you'd think their law enforcement would have much better things to do than stop rvers to check that they have the proper drivers license.
Plus if those from other states drive through the reprocity should be ok, those officers could not possibly know what's legal in all the other states & impound rvs. If my drivers license is legal in Texas then it's legal in all other states....regardless of what a CHP officer says/thinks.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

I can say I see lots of RVs on the road everyday, and from my observations CHP isn’t focused on “us”. Yeah if you see a triple axle on a SRW, odds are in LEO favor that they are not legal. I for one have no issue with those people being taken off the road for EVERYBODY’S safety. CHP is busy enough with speeders and texters on my daily commute, and the accidents they cause.

There are no doubt some “hot spots” like Pismo Beach where weight/licensing rules are more the focus, but I rarely see an RV pulled over in my commute from the Central Valley to the Bay Area everyday.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:25 PM   #30
LewisB

Arizona CDL?

All of this discussion got me to wondering (maybe worrying) about Arizona regulations! Here's why:
TV = 2017 Ford F350 DRW GVWR = 14,000
Trailer = 2008 Raptor 3712TS GVWR = 16,500
Actual Certified scale weight of combined vehicles = 27,840

When I use the Arizona DMV website flowchart, sure enough it looks like any passenger vehicle towing a trailer over 10,000 AND has a combined GVWR over 26,000 takes a CDL. That would include my rig (above).

HOWEVER, there is some fine print that is NOT mentioned by the DMV on this website. I found Arizona Revised Statutes 38-3102 which states (in part):
"...a person who operates an authorized emergency vehicle, a farm vehicle or a recreational vehicle may operate the vehicle with a class A, B, C, D or G license." That's any license class, and:
""Recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle or vehicle combination that is more than twenty-six thousand pounds gross vehicle weight rating and that is designed and exclusively used for private pleasure, including vehicles commonly called motor homes, pickup trucks with campers, travel trailers, boat trailers and horse trailers used exclusively to transport personal possessions or persons for noncommercial purposes."

Bottom line for Arizona: I don't need any special license for an RV regardless of weight as long as it conforms to noncommercial purposes. So, my heart rate is nearly back to normal now (ha-ha)! Thank God I don't live in California!
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #31
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I know California is broke needs all the revenue they can come up with but you'd think their law enforcement would have much better things to do than stop rvers to check that they have the proper drivers license.
Plus if those from other states drive through the reprocity should be ok, those officers could not possibly know what's legal in all the other states & impound rvs. If my drivers license is legal in Texas then it's legal in all other states....regardless of what a CHP officer says/thinks.
Yes we do have better things to do than stop and check RV'rs... And regardless of what we say/think, as long as the driver is legally licensed for their setup in their home state, then yes they're legal In California.

We don't randomly stop to check for license legality, however, if a driver is stopped for another violation, we can check their status and ensure they're driving/towing within their classification.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
So all large 5er owners in CA are going to be required to study and take the test (written and driving) regularly,get and maintain a medial certificate, pay outrageous fees and be subject to more stringent laws while driving anything besides their TV and 5er Yes, if you read the rules they do not like their Class A certified drivers misbehaving in whatever they drive. Just a few more chips away at the block called freedom if you ask me. Give it a couple of years and,in CA you are going to need a Class A to tow a tent trailer with a Ford Ranger (or any small,less than 150 pick up).
It's all about REVENUE in that state. Period.
There is a significant difference in requirements to obtain/maintain a "non-commercial class A" (RV'ers) and a "commercial class A" (for profit drivers)

I think you might have "lumped too much" into one rant.... RV'ers aren't commercial drivers and the health/physical requirements, etc don't apply. On the other hand, if an RV'er should happen to get a DUI in his sports car, do you really want him excluded from the penalty in his RV?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #33
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is a significant difference in requirements to obtain/maintain a "non-commercial class A" (RV'ers) and a "commercial class A" (for profit drivers)

I think you might have "lumped too much" into one rant.... RV'ers aren't commercial drivers and the health/physical requirements, etc don't apply. On the other hand, if an RV'er should happen to get a DUI in his sports car, do you really want him excluded from the penalty in his RV?
Mostly true... This is from the DMV website(https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...l_guidelines):

In come cases a physician's report is not required. Instead, upon application and every two years thereafter, drivers certify they meet the medical standards by completing a Health Questionnaire (DL 546). This report is permitted for the following three groups of drivers:

Persons with a Class A non-commercial license are restricted to towing recreational trailers or livestock trailers.