Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
Turcopole

True Newb

Hello everyone,

I am a consultant that embeds at my client location for the duration of our contract. This can be anywhere from 3 months to a year. I own a home back in St. Louis and I travel there every other weekend, but the rest of the time, I'm wherever I work. I've tried renting apartments, furnished and unfurnished (some towns just don't have any to rent) and even tried skimping on cost to save money from my living stipend by renting a room in a house. I've decided to try full time living in a 5th wheel RV.

I've purchased a used Dodge 3500 diesel pick up and a used but very nice 2016 Keystone Montana 3950br (haven't picked up the trailer from the dealer yet). Next step is to secure membership at the local RV resort near the town where I'm working until this time next year.

It's going to be a cold winter I'm sure. I'm currently on assignment in South Dakota. Everyone I've talked to has assured me that full time living in the model I've purchased is possible and that where I'm looking to put my trailer there are around 45 or so other year round full timers.

I'm totally new to any sort of RV anything so this is going to be a big learning curve. I'm happy to have found this forum and will likely be using it quite a bit as I go along, so thank you everyone in advance.

My first question out the gate is regarding washing machines. I understand people sometimes opt for a stackable washer and dryer instead of the smaller all-in-one combo that I've heard of. How would I determine if that would be a possibility for the trailer I've purchased? I've done some google searching but I just don't know enough about this yet to know where to really look or how best to ask in the search engine. At least, I've not found any useful information in the inquiries I've made so far. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
Turcopole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I have looked at a few of the ads for that model and looked at the floorplan. It does not appear that it was plumbed for a W/D. Here are a couple of links:

https://www.collierrv.com/product/ne...950br-458492-5

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If it was me, I'd go to the laundromat once a week and be done. JMHO. YMMV.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
bob91yj

My wife and I are in a similar situation that you will be in, stationary full timers. We have a Splendide combination washer/vented dryer. The washer/dryer has worked out well for us, my wife does a load every day or two, throw the clothes in, add soap, push a button and forget about it.

I've never timed the wash/dry process because we are doing other things rather than sitting there watching the clothes go roundy-roundy.

If you decide to get an all in one unit or stackables I'd highly recommend getting a vented dryer rather than a condensing dryer.

Good luck with your new lifestyle! We've been at it for a year now with no complaints.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
Tbos

W/D connections are in the front closet. We are currently full timers and we will buying a combo unit.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
If it was me, I'd go to the laundromat once a week and be done. JMHO. YMMV.
Yep... lot easier