Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 05:08 AM   #1
mrsbart6112

Battery Dies

Hello! We just bought a new to us trailer over the weekend. It is a 2008 Hornet.

We are planning to live in the trailer at our house while we do some work to the house. Should take a few months, so we will be full-timers during that time.

We plugged the trailer into the house using an adapter because the electrician had not been out to install the 30-amp plug yet (he is doing this today). We have never had a trailer before, so we are newbies.

So we plugged it up into a regular 110 outlet using an adapter that goes from the 30 amp plug to the regular plug. We left it on overnight with the AC on using a brand new RV battery that we purchased. However, the battery died overnight. Is this because we are not using the normal 30 amp power and it's not enough, or might this be a converter problem? I am not sure what to do because we are having the 30 amp plug installed today, but I'm not sure that's the only problem.

How will I know if I have a converter problem? I'm not even sure I provided enough info, so if you need more info, please ask.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
mrsbart6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:20 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Battery Dies

Welcome to the forum.

If you put a brand new battery in, first thing to check is the polarity. In RV's the WHITE is ground and BLACK is positive. If you hooked it up wrong the reverse polarity fuse(s) will blow instantly.

If you have a converter that's built in, the fuses are the 40A ones NOT in the row of fuses. If your converter is seperate then they are on the back of the converter.

Using a VOM at the battery posts you should see 13+ VDC if the converter is working.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
Javi

Most folks don't recommend running the A/C while plugged into a 15amp circuit... The A/C. microwave, refrigerator and various 110 plug are all 110 volt if plugged into a 110 source. Pretty much everything else is 12 volts including all the lights... as is the refrigerator if it is set to propane..

Given your description, the first place I'd look is for a battery disconnect switch, then check that the battery is actually hooked up... after that I'd start looking at the breakers and 12 volt fuses...
Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 AM   #4
mrsbart6112

Everything works until the battery dies. Once it dies, nothing will work at all until BOTH the battery is charged and connected and the unit is plugged into the 15 amp with an adapter. What I'm hoping is once we plug into the 30 amp plug that is being installed today it will work properly and the battery won't die.

We did try to connect the trailer to my neighbor's 30 amp plug, but since the battery was already dead, nothing worked at all.

I was mainly wondering if it sounds like a converter problem, or maybe it will work properly once we install the 30 amp plug along with the battery?

Also, once it's connected to the 30 amp service, should we be able to disconnect the battery and have everything work? It's my understanding that when it's connected to shore power, the battery is not used, but is being trickled charged?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:47 AM   #5
Javi

The 110 volt system is independent of the 12 volt system... if you have 110 volts going in and all the 110 breakers are good then you would have 110 volts... The 12 volt system is run off the battery and convertor... some convertors are made so that they don't need a battery but most are not... and the convertor/charger is charging the battery based on the draw....

But again... the two systems are independent... so if you have neither... you need to check that you have not blown a breaker on the source plug..

BTW... make sure that your electrician understands that this new plug is for an RV and not a 220 appliance... many don't know the difference..
Old 08-14-2017, 05:54 AM   #6
mrsbart6112

Do you know what could be making the battery die and not be charged while it's plugged in? That's what I'm not quite getting....why is the battery dying? And when it does nothing works other than the refrigerator and a couple of the lights.

I'm just confused and kind of sad because I feel like maybe we made a bad purchase. I just don't understand why the battery is dying....
Old 08-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbart6112 View Post
Do you know what could be making the battery die and not be charged while it's plugged in? That's what I'm not quite getting....why is the battery dying? And when it does nothing works other than the refrigerator and a couple of the lights.

I'm just confused and kind of sad because I feel like maybe we made a bad purchase. I just don't understand why the battery is dying....
Have you looked at the 12 volt fuses in your electrical panel, there are two 40 amp fuses which protect against reverse polarity and various 10 amp to 30 amp fuses.. The two 40 amp fuses if not located in the panel will be on the back of the convertor..
Old 08-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #8
mrsbart6112

Will definitely check that. I'm passing the information to my husband right now. He's trying to work on our problem today. Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

If you have been plugged into a 15 or 20 amp outlet with an adapter you most likely were not getting enough amps to run the A/C and the converter at full charge rate at the same time. It is unusual that the breaker for the converter would blow before the home outlet or the one for the A/C but possible. Check the circuit breaker marked CON/REC, turn it off then on again without the A/C running .... if not marked .... unplug from shore power, turn all breakers off then on (be sure to leave the one marked water heater OFF) Leaving the A/C off plug back in and see what happens. I think the problem is in the converter breaker and lack of 30 amp service. On 30amp you may not be able to run A/C and water heater on electric at the same time too. Do not turn water heater on until it's tank is full!!!! Good luck. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I have had in the past needed to plug into a 15 amp breaker. I tried the A/C several times, each time the breaker in the house tripped. I have 2 guesses about your problem, battery not connected right or you tripped a breaker or blew a fuse.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

You've been given several good ideas to check. I would suggest you find the converter and the bypass so that you can make sure that all is in order - and you will know where they are for future reference. Make sure the bypass is on and the converter fuses are good (if they are on the unit). Voltmeter will come in very handy for troubleshooting.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery