Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Equip Truck to Back

Just had an experience a bit ago that, to me, illustrates some of the ways people tow trailers that are just scary.

For years we had problems with folks driving down the road to our mountain home then trying to turn around and get out. Several years ago we placed signs at the highway entrance and then at a switchback about 1/2 mile from our house which helped.

Today I heard a truck go by on our road in front of the house. I knew they would be backing out because I have put a locked gate about 100 yds or so down the road. It was raining so I put on a poncho and stepped out to wait for them and give them a lecture for trespassing.

I got to the bottom of the stairs and could hear a diesel rev up, slow down, rev up, slow down. In a bit I saw the back end of a travel trailer past the trees as someone backed it over the edge into the valley, pull forward, then back it up the side of the mountain; repeat, repeat, repeat. When it appeared they were going to back it straight up the side of the mountain into the front of the guest house I yelled at them and made them stop.

I admonished them for trespassing and ignoring the signs which said this was a dead end and there was no turn around. The young man said his wife was following google maps - he was very embarrassed and I felt bad for him. (Note to all; when google maps says "go this way" and you're reading a sign that says "keep out - private property", I would suggest abiding by the sign). There was an older woman driving the truck with the trailer. Totally confused. I asked if she had any experience backing a trailer - she said "yes", she was a good backer.....to which I almost choked and guffawed. I told her I had been watching their progress and they were going to have to leave the trailer because there was no way she was going to get it out without hitting one of our houses or the garage. I then offered to back it out. She may have thought she was a good backer but she and her son were VERY relieved to have me do it.

Now the part that should not be happening when towing a trailer. I got inside so I could back it the 1/2 mile back down our road to a turning place. The mirrors were tiny; not towing mirrors, not even the standard Ram mirrors (I don't think). I don't know what they were but they looked like they came off some sort of compact sedan. You could see nothing but the front of the trailer - and it was raining. I said OK, I'll adjust the mirrors for an optimum view and get it out....the plastic cover over the mirror adjustment was broken and the mirror controls were "way down there". I asked if the mirrors could be adjusted, she said she thought so....NO they would not work. They were both looking at the ground in front of the trailer. I told her she needed towing mirrors, not the dinky things she had. She said she didn't like them because they vibrated???(and she's towing with those things!!). You couldn't see the sides of the trailer or much else. You had to wait until the tail came into view (while I was scrunched with my head down trying to see) to adjust - and the road was about a foot wider than the trailer. I backed them out and got them on their way so all ended well.

A long story to just point out what kind of equipment some people are trying to use while towing a trailer (she said hers was 32' and it looked it) and the importance of good tow mirrors. Also, the faults of any NAV system (I had the one in our Hummer take me straight into a one way intersection in Las Vegas while telling me to go straight!). Just thought I would put that out there while watching the rain and the elk.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
Tbos

It is amazing what people will do. I'm glad you were able to help them. We stayed this past week at Anchor Down in Dandridge TN. In an effort to avoid some of the heavy traffic in Pigeon Forge we tried using the GPS. It didn't take us down any private roads but it took us down some just wide enough for the dually. I was very happy I didn't have the TT behind me. FYI, the souvenir maps aren't always accurate either.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:32 AM   #3
xcntrk

Some people today can't make it down the road without following turn by turn directions from their smartphone.

That said, sounds like the problem is going to continue and may be the source of why you need to put up so many signs in the first place. Take a look at reporting the error to google maps, might help to have your roadway marked as private or removed from the route guidance altogether!

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3094088

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:37 AM   #4
Dave W

Lessons learned for those folks and assuming that a GPS was perfect. I did somewhat the same in New Brunswick, turning down a decent paved public road that ended up as a country dirt two track. Luckily there was a place to back in and turn around though it was a very steep rutted road to a quarry. This in turn caused the rear bumper to dig in and gouge the paint plus scuff the belly mounted spare.

Never believe that a GPS is 100% accurate and in those folks case, read the private property signs
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
geobet

Excellent post Sourdough. Let's hope it has some impact.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
Some people today can't make it down the road without following turn by turn directions from their smartphone.

That said, sounds like the problem is going to continue and may be the source of why you need to put up so many signs in the first place. Take a look at reporting the error to google maps, might help to have your roadway marked as private or removed from the route guidance altogether!

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3094088

Thanks xcntrk. I'll do that.

It's amazing to me that so many folks disregard the many signs we've posted to keep people out. 2 years ago we had a bus (a BUS) with students from some school looking for a location that is accessed from a completely different highway.

It was about 10pm and I was roused by cracking and busting branches. Here comes this bus down our road in front of the house driving through the overhanging limbs, breaking several of them and tearing off his clearance lamps. I was standing on the deck waving at them and he just kept on going - hitting more trees. He finally stopped and I got down to him and really berated him for his actions. Again, he said one of the students was guiding him with googlemaps. I asked then, as I always do, about reading the signs and refusal to comply; he said this was where googlemaps said to go!! At that time I had not placed the gate to stop through traffic to the end of the road where there was a turnaround. I told him he had 3 options; keep going forward through the trees to the turnaround, back the 1/2 mile back up the road in the dark or park the bus, unload the folks and walk the 3 miles to their location. He opted to keep going forward to the turn around. I stood as he continued on breaking limbs (limbs up to 4-5" diameter) with the bus and tearing stuff off. He finally got turned around and came back with no clearance lights and I don't know what else torn off the top of the bus. I caught him on the way out and told him to never make that mistake again; next time I would impound the bus and make them all walk and have the sheriff come tow it out - and this was a paid, commercial driver!! It's amazing but it seems like people just let go of common sense when they're staring at a smart phone screen...

Anyway, thanks again for the link.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote