Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
chevydoesit

Thumbs up

This year we are trying our hand at seasonal site camping. Any tips or suggestions that maybe of help? Thanks.

Can the mods move this to Full-Timers and Snowbirds? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:56 AM   #2
roadglide

I do seasonal get aways , I'm guessing you live in a cold area or hot az climate . Watch the weather close if it gets bad drag up move somewhere safe.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Try not to get carried away buying "Stuff" to make your seasonal site feel like home. At the end of the season you will wonder where to store it or dump it.
Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
papi

I became a seasonal this year for the first time. There are pros and cons.
1) like to get there and have it all set up all I need to do is open the door and enjoy.
2) you can get there any time you want.
3) holiday or not, no problem no need to worry about reservations.
4) getting out of the campground on time before checkout time is a thing of the past.
5) make a lot of new friends
Now some of the cons are,
1) sometimes it could be difficult to pull out to go somewhere else.
2) seasonal fees could be expensive
3) activities are for the most part the same wknd after wknd.
4) at times it was boring because it is the same site, same view, same pool, same lake and yes even same people.
Overall my DW and I are going to do it again next season. We use our camper by far way more than before an no worries about getting home early on Fridays go crazy packing everything up hitchup and go. Same thing on Sundays waking up early and go. It is more relaxing now. You will have fun no matter what.

2016 Keystone Cougar 339BHS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel, DWR
papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
Grbill

We have been seasonal for 2 years and love it! We are in a beautiful resort on an all sports lake. Sites are grassy and roads are paved. We made sure we were less than an hour from home so our adult children are more likely to come up and visit. We see it as our cottage. We spend on average 60 to 70 nights a year there which comes to less than $35 a night. My advice would be to verify the quality of water, electric, and cell service. Our first park had problems with all 3, on hot weekends the electrical service couldn't handle all the air conditioners running so it just shut down. The water was so hard that everyone was renting water softeners and we could only get a cell signal at one area of the park. Take a walk through the park your considering and talk to people, ask questions, you'll be glad you did.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Desert185

I'm using mine for Christmas relative overflow. Plugged in, full propane, phony fireplace, local TV stations and WIFI...no water (it was 10dF this morning, but should be no colder than low 30's for Christmas).

I wouldn't even try this in cold weather without electric power and a backup Wiggy or comparable sleeping bag and warm clothes.

Hope your TV, if diesel, has a block heater. If I have to park mine for any length of time, like airport parking this time of year, I always carry a Honda 1K. Really cold starts are diesel abuse.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
GaryWT

We were seasonal for 11 years and loved it. We left it on site year round and used it May through Oct. The kids loved it and made lots of friends. We started traveling again when they were older. Not sure if we would go south for the winter or not. We do say that if my health starts to fail to the point that I cannot tow and/or set up then we would go seasonal again.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:03 AM   #8
TAZ23

We have been seasonal campers at the same campground in Northern Wisconsin for the last 5 years. We used to travel around but found that most of the time we kept returning to the same campground. We can still pull it out for a occasional trip but have not done so recently.
For us it makes sense as we go there every week end that were not busy doing something else.
The trailer stays there year round. We open it up in April weather permitting and close it around the middle of October.
The cost of a seasonal site is largely offset by the reduced cost of gas (not having to pull a trailer all the time). We have become quite good friends with many of the other seasonal campers there and keep in contact with many of them over the winter months.
The people at the campground keep a eye on each others sites when we aren't there and nothing ever seems to "disappear". We also leave our boat there all summer, as does every one else.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
Eastham

Hi Hank
I see you are from nokomis fl.i am also from there.love fishing at the jetty.will be going back in nov. Just figured i say hello.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote