Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
jerseyphil

Docking lights won't shut off

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB with LED docking lights.....

The lights will NOT shut off. Thought maybe the switch was bad?? NOPE.
I took the leads off the switch, kept the wire contacts separated, and the lights STILL stayed on.

Called my dealer and spoke with a mechanic there. The mechanic said he didn't know how that was possible and had no clue.

Anyone ever have this problem??

Thanks,
Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
DocData757

Pull each of your fuses in the fuse panel one at a time and see if they go out. Then you might be able to tell which circuit they are wired into rather than the one they are supposed to be wired in to.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
jje1960

Docking lights

Check the remote. We went through the same issue, the remote needs to be used to turn them off.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
66ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Check the remote. We went through the same issue, the remote needs to be used to turn them off.
I agree. Had the same problem myself.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
jerseyphil

Quote:
WOW!
JJE1960........Thanks so much.
That was the issue. I had played with the remote and pressed the docking light button.

I totally appreciate your help.

Regards,
Phil
Old 05-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ken View Post
I agree. Had the same problem myself.
Thanks as well to 66ken and others for your help. It is such a good feeling to know friends on this forum are such good people.

Phil (jerseyphil)
Old 05-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
kenn209

Ben there done that!! Last year spend several hours at the campground troubleshooting. Then it hit me! I had used the remote to turn them on! Bingo! Got out the remote right before hitting the sack and they went off!!
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:50 AM   #8
mikell

I had a large camcorder battery one time plugged into the 12 to charge. One time I couldn't get things to shut odd even disconnected the battery and things stayed on and the van kept running ??? The battery was backfeeding and keeping a relay engaged. It was a conversion van but you never know
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
I had a large camcorder battery one time plugged into the 12 to charge. One time I couldn't get things to shut odd even disconnected the battery and things stayed on and the van kept running ??? The battery was backfeeding and keeping a relay engaged. It was a conversion van but you never know
Electrical issues can be difficult to track down. Throwing in an engaged relay can really make it confusing. With my docking light issue, I knew it had to be getting power somehow, and also had to be grounded somewhere. Since I had never used the remote before, and had no instructions for it, I was unaware that I had turned on the docking lights with it.

Thanks for your comment.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
jje1960

Docking Lights

How we originally found this out.... was at the dealer during walk through, the sales woman was trying to figure out the remote... pushed all the buttons.... anyway, I noticed the docking lights on and they had to call one of the techs to figure it out. BTW, the remote is actually one of the nicest options on the trailer, while alone, hooking up without it is a pain. Also, extending the slide in tight conditions is so much easier while standing next to it vs inside.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
jerseyphil

Quote:
How we originally found this out.... was at the dealer during walk through, the sales woman was trying to figure out the remote... pushed all the buttons.... anyway, I noticed the docking lights on and they had to call one of the techs to figure it out. BTW, the remote is actually one of the nicest options on the trailer, while alone, hooking up without it is a pain. Also, extending the slide in tight conditions is so much easier while standing next to it vs inside.
Thanks again for your help.
I was anticipating a trip to the dealer, and having him say I had to leave the trailer.
Phil
Old 05-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
chuckretnav

Smile Docking Lights

Had same problem only I didnt play with the remote. Was sitting outside at night and all at once they came on. Even took the switch out of the circuit and still on. First trip out. Got back to where I store the trailer at and disconected the battery. Heard a click like a relay reset. Put cable back on the battery and the lights where out. Happen one other time. Never touched the remote. Disconected the battery and let the relay reset. Forget who told me but they said static electricty builds up and closes the relay. I have a 327res fith wheel. Happy trails everyone.
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #13
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckretnav View Post
Had same problem only I didnt play with the remote. Was sitting outside at night and all at once they came on. Even took the switch out of the circuit and still on. First trip out. Got back to where I store the trailer at and disconected the battery. Heard a click like a relay reset. Put cable back on the battery and the lights where out. Happen one other time. Never touched the remote. Disconected the battery and let the relay reset. Forget who told me but they said static electricty builds up and closes the relay. I have a 327res fith wheel. Happy trails everyone.
Thanks for the info. That must have been a freaky experience seeing the lights come on by themselves.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #14
kenn209

My remote went through the wash! So not sure if it still works!
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
byrdr1

I had the light problem just unhooked the wire at the remote control base. Now I know what happened. I might hook it all back up and try the remote.
I thought I messed with everythign trying to turn the lights off. I have also had the two blown out lights over the sink area. bought new ones and so far no blowouts. Bought an extra two bulbs just in case. Shower nothing so far. but will keep check on that. One thing I have discovered is the TV locking latch in the living area. We arrived at last campground with the TV slide tray bouncing all around the wood work on the slide out. Beat it up good this last trip. I know it was latched as we haven't use the slide out YET? cheap design. If it happens again I will buy one of the locking latches like on the bedroom TV slideout. WE had lots of snow and rain since we bought it and I have not found any leaking water. Also my 2nd AC is just a hanging like my old popup. Haven't had to use it with any hot weather yet but I was able to fire it up Easter when I was hooked to 50a service, seemed to work well and a little loud. BUT nothing compared to the Popup days. BUT the temps were in the mid 70 to lower 80's. So the real test will be summer at Ocean Lakes.
so it's looking like the 327res is a winner.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
johlar

Docking light switch won't shut off

Thanks folks I noticed this issue the 2nd night I brought the new camper home. It's 11 PM and I'm running around trying to find a switch to shut off.

Finally did a search on the internet, found and joined this forum right after I found the remote and shut the light off. The mechanic doing the demo used the remote.
johlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johlar View Post
Thanks folks I noticed this issue the 2nd night I brought the new camper home. It's 11 PM and I'm running around trying to find a switch to shut off.

Finally did a search on the internet, found and joined this forum right after I found the remote and shut the light off. The mechanic doing the demo used the remote.
Welcome to the forum. Glad you found helpful info here, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
jbsmith

Quote:
Did the same thing! Wish the remote control panel had a timer that turns the docking lights off after some pre-set period of time.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
Michael Watkins

Thank you that was a great help I had the same issue. I'm Feeling not so bright right now. I was ready to change the switch and pull the fuses. thank you
Michael Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #20
Hermharm

Docking lights

Unfortunately our 2014 remote does not have docking lights as a function. Any other ideas for getting them to turn off?
Hermharm is offline   Reply With Quote