Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
vampress_me

Ram gas engine recall

I’m guessing many of you have seen this, but just in case you haven’t. It affects the gas engine Rams only. But, 2014-2019 Ram 1500’s and 2014-2018 2500, 3500, 4500, and 5500’s are the affected years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rol/643982002/

I’m thinking if this happened to me, you’d hear one really loud scream of fear first....

Add: it also affects many other Chrysler products, but I was mainly thinking of those of us who tow with a Ram.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Fishsizzle

Was just talking over on Powerstroke forum about how everyone is all excited about new tech on trucks. Self driving cars etc. This is why I get freaked. They can’t even get a simple home computer right, how are we supposed to trust computers in our rides?

How do you call a tech to come work on your trucks computer doing 65 on the road?
Just crazy
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:07 AM   #3
notanlines

Lynette, most Minnesotans will remember Koua Fong Lee and his search for justice once he was released from prison.....thank you very much Toyota and the bogus computers in your cars. I believe Chrysler has been very upfront with this recall, unlike Toyota with their head buried in the sand!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If what I'm reading online is correct (who knows what the news really is vs what's reported)... That said, if the news is correct, this isn't a "computer malfunction" but an error in how the software was written.. There's a BIG difference in the two. Computers, while they can "break down" and need to have components "fixed", this problem doesn't look like a "computer breakdown".... Rather, when the software engineers did their research and development, they wrote a software program that had a "glitch" in it that would prevent the cruise control from deactivating in some specific situations.

That's not a "computer is broken" problem, rather it looks like the computer is doing exactly what it's being told to do based on how the software is working.... Sort of like a mis-placed or mis-spelled word/phrase in the middle of a very intense passage in a great book......

And, no I don't own anything Chrysler and I'm not defending their problem. Seems all the manufacturers have the same "bucket" that could tip over at any time, so which one is next? Something to be said for "consumer testing".......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
vampress_me

John,

I agree with you. This seems more like a computer glitch that wasn’t caught. But I hope they fix it fast not like all the companies have done with the airbag recall, since this should be a simple computer reflash?

My eyeballs got a little big at the sentence in the article “Shifting into park would cancel the cruise, but tapping the brakes or turning off the cruise control button won't work.” How many people would think about shifting into park at 60-70 mph? And, actually, with the computer controls in vehicles now, can you even shift into park while the vehicle is moving? I’m not volunteering to find out!

I’m still sticking with my initial reaction would be one heck of a loud scream!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
spade117

Scary stuff, I read about this on my way home Monday. No issues on the way there, I did use the CC for about 45 miles. Did not use it on the way home.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
Harleydodge

It makes me wonder, especially if it's a software glitch, what the difference is between a Gasser and a Diesel? You would think the programming (as far as the CC goes) wouldn't differ much?
I hope we're not next.
Also not so sure that our big diesels "... brakes are designed to overpower the engine and the vehicles could still be stopped.".
I would watch the "You-Tube" video of that theory being tested

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
It makes me wonder, especially if it's a software glitch, what the difference is between a Gasser and a Diesel? You would think the programming (as far as the CC goes) wouldn't differ much?
I hope we're not next.
Also not so sure that our big diesels "... brakes are designed to overpower the engine and the vehicles could still be stopped.".
I would watch the "You-Tube" video of that theory being tested
If I recall their solution, if it happens, was to shift to neutral, pull off the shoulder while the engine is screaming & turn the key off, so you shouldn't have to overcome the engine power. Actually I think it said to shift to park, but at 70+ mph not sure you could do that..
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If I recall their solution, if it happens, was to shift to neutral, pull off the shoulder while the engine is screaming & turn the key off, so you shouldn't have to overcome the engine power. Actually I think it said to shift to park, but at 70+ mph not sure you could do that..

Yes I read that also.
Not sure who wrote what exactly but my quote comes from early in the article and "appears" to be the author quoting Fiat Chrysler.
What you are remembering appears to be a quote from The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which makes way more sense that what the author said earlier.
I was just making a little fun of the article.
May we never have to worry about it.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #10
LuvsPalmTrees

We have a Ram and yes it is recalled. I never use the CC but DH does. Like TT all brands have their problems.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas