Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

Batteries not charging. Advise

So Carrie and I are touring N.M. Batteries will not charge while driving down highway. Will charge fine when connected to shore power
Advise? 2012 2500 suburban with factory tow package. Everything else, brakes, lights. Ect work while towing
2018 26RBPR.
Thanks in advance from sunny new mexico.
Oak
German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
dblanch57

you need to see if you truck is sending 12 volt to the trailer. Many vehicles are shipped with this fuse removed in the trucks main fuse block. My last truck was this way and the dealer didn't install it at prep. I went 2 years not knowing this until I had a problem with brake lights. Get one of the 7 way testers https://www.amazon.com/CURT-58270-Ve...3224094&sr=8-3

You can get one at most hardware and big box stores. Plug this is in and start truck and it will tell you if you have power to the pin in the harness receiver on the truck. If you do then it is in the trailer wiring.

Safe travels.

2020 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4 6.2L
2017 Passport Elite 31RE
DW & Me
<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
travelin texans

If Your batteries are fully charged from shore power the small charge from your vehicle, if fuse is in place, should keep them up traveling all day. I'd suspect your batteries are toast & not holding a charge. Take them out to an auto parts store for load testing. Also be sure they are true deep cycle batteries, No CCA (cold cranking amps) listed on the top of the battery, if so they are not true deep cycle but hybrids for marine use such as starting boat motors or using trolling motors.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:54 AM   #4
German Shepherd Guy

There are a lot of fuses in the vehicle marked for trailer. Looks like they are all in place
Will check out the batteries today in the light. My belief is that they are true deep cycle. However, strange as it might seem I have been wrong before. Was in town yesterday and could not find a 7 pin tester
New Mexico, at least in this area, is beautiful. Thinking of maybe moving down here. Auto and trailer registration is MUCH less than in Colorado
Thanks for the advice guys. The new 2500 truck pulls much better than my old 1500, but loves its gas

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

Old 10-21-2020, 05:01 AM   #5
ChuckS

With an inexpensive multi meter your can quickly measure for 12 volts DC at the tow vehicle 7 way receptacle... this takes all the guessing out....

And in your Suburbans case I’d recommend you read this article about your tow package aux power connection...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+...Suburban/55434

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
There are a lot of fuses in the vehicle marked for trailer. Looks like they are all in place
Will check out the batteries today in the light. My belief is that they are true deep cycle. However, strange as it might seem I have been wrong before. Was in town yesterday and could not find a 7 pin tester
New Mexico, at least in this area, is beautiful. Thinking of maybe moving down here. Auto and trailer registration is MUCH less than in Colorado
Thanks for the advice guys. The new 2500 truck pulls much better than my old 1500, but loves its gas

Not to hijack or redirect your thread, but where in NM are you? We love it there as well but if you plan to actually move there and change your residence be aware there is a state income tax.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
German Shepherd Guy

Danny the traveling Texan. You were right! My batteries are just marine deep cycle with a CCA rating. They are now two years old to boot. Once I get home I will load test. Time for replacement I will go with 6v true deep cycle

This site is so good!!
Danny Sourdough. Thanks, we were aware of that but found out yesterday they even tax your SS income. Would be a lot of factors. Colorado feels all your vehicles and trailers are made of gold
I currently am a massive carbon creator with 5 vehicles and three trailers, one of which is our TT.
Winters at 8000 are getting old and long. We are in a pine forest and fire season gets longer and scarier every year.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

Old 10-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
Logan X

I know you said your batteries were charging when you were connected to shore power, so this may not apply to you. But it is probably worth checking.

I had an issue with the batteries not taking a charge. It was due to the ground connection being loose where the negative battery cable connects to the frame of the trailer. I got that connection tightened, cleaned up, and coated with Noalox. Problem solved.

It may be worthwhile to check all of your battery connections for tightness, oxidation, and corrosion.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote