Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
mikz86ta

Awning Arm Problem

So a while back I noticed one of the main awnings arms had a slight bend. Been using it for months and never had an issue. Well today I was leaving and retracted them in. That's when I noticed the aluminum is splitting on the sides of the arm.

For reference it's a 2016 Fuzion 420. Two side awnings. Both power. This is the larger front one. Made by Carefree of Colorado.

Lucky I was using the LCI remote and standing outside when I saw the split.
The awning is 3 arms with a gas strut support. Motors are on the ends. The center arm which when folded in, rest inside of the outlet arm. This center one also is the mounting point for the aforementioned gas strut. It's aluminum and u-shaped. There's a intentional notch on one part so it clears hardware when folded in. At this weaker point, there is stress cracks on both sides of the U.
It's so bad that I am not risking putting it back out.
I will take pics tomorrow of it. I work nights so just noticed it before work. Didn't have time to take pics.

Has anyone had this issue??

Carefree seems like junk.
The main awning LED strip has a short as of a week ago and will either work or won't or flickers as I roll it in-out.
The end motors on both awnings wobble as they go in and out.
WTF?

Does Carefree warranty this stuff or Keystone? I'm 2nd owner of this coach
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
So a while back I noticed one of the main awnings arms had a slight bend. Been using it for months and never had an issue. Well today I was leaving and retracted them in. That's when I noticed the aluminum is splitting on the sides of the arm.

For reference it's a 2016 Fuzion 420. Two side awnings. Both power. This is the larger front one. Made by Carefree of Colorado.

Lucky I was using the LCI remote and standing outside when I saw the split.
The awning is 3 arms with a gas strut support. Motors are on the ends. The center arm which when folded in, rest inside of the outlet arm. This center one also is the mounting point for the aforementioned gas strut. It's aluminum and u-shaped. There's a intentional notch on one part so it clears hardware when folded in. At this weaker point, there is stress cracks on both sides of the U.
It's so bad that I am not risking putting it back out.
I will take pics tomorrow of it. I work nights so just noticed it before work. Didn't have time to take pics.

Has anyone had this issue??

Carefree seems like junk.
The main awning LED strip has a short as of a week ago and will either work or won't or flickers as I roll it in-out.
The end motors on both awnings wobble as they go in and out.
WTF?

Does Carefree warranty this stuff or Keystone? I'm 2nd owner of this coach
Carefree.... if any warranty remains
Old 08-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
mikz86ta

Guess I will try to contact them tomorrow.
Or see if the extended warranty we got covers it.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
mikz86ta

Attached is a couple pics. I only put it out a little. Looks like it started to buckle at the weakest point and split
I never leave open in rain, never leave the RV unattended with them out, have never had any type of accident, never left open in windy conditions and the unit was fully inspected by Lazy Days Tampa where we purchased it. 2016 unit barely used.

Aside from this there's now also a short in that same awnings LED strip and also since day one both awnings end motors wobble. This one being the worst.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1861.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	13726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1867.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	13727  
Old 08-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

What did Carefree say when you called them this morning? They have always been extremely helpful when I contacted them in the past.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
Johnny's Journey

Wow. In the photo it's clear that in the effort of making things more compact when closed a design flaw has been put in place. It's like looking at a chocolate bar and deciding where to break it it in half.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
mikz86ta

U got a phone number??

I tried to submit online but their [moderator edit] website [bleep] like their products! Lol. I spent time writing up, filling in blanks on the form online and there last step to select a topic from a drop-down box it won't let you pick one. Therefore it won't let you submit. I tried from phone/mobile and desktop. Desktop actually gave me the drop-down box choices whereas mobile did not. But desktop would not let me select anything.

So a direct phone number would be good

Thanks
Old 08-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
mikz86ta

Exactly. They made a notch on the smaller aluminum bar to clear the hardware on the other peice. At the peak of that notch it started to split and getting worse.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
mikz86ta

Closer pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG1866.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	13728  
Old 08-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Did you try the 303-469-3324 listed on the website? 8-5pm, M-F MT.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #11
mikz86ta

Thanks I will try tomorrow!

Been busy. Sister in hospital all week last week and had to drive 7.5hrs. Just got back late last night, so very tired
Old 10-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
lonewolftx

Any update?

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
mikz86ta

Nope. Been dealing with more important things. Had a hurricane come thru Florida, so we were forced to evacuate. Work, family, rain, and just got back to normal.
If they say no fix for free, then off to Lowe's and find my own fix
Old 10-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
mikz86ta

Trying to get this in order. Got to have a local place who deals with Carefree come see it. Got a personal email of a Carefree rep to send info and pics to. Then get a reference claim number. But it's not said weather it is covered or not.

And oh yes, it broke in half now. Fell on GF truck roof. Got lots of pics
Old 02-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #15
mikz86ta

So here is an update. Carefree has made it a bit harder to process the warranty and you can't do it direct.
Calling them was OK to deal with and after the initial call, every other communication was via email. The representative seemed to want emails back and forth. And every email I sent which was clear and informative, my reply from the rep was very berif. He wanted info on purchase and pics which was perfect fine and I had all of that. But then the rep let me know the part # , the MSRP $ and I would need a local dealer to process my request further.
So I contacted a dealer who does on-site repairs and upgrades. Having dealt with Carefree in the last, the local dealer found it strange I needed them to look at it first and submit a claim. But for a $80 on-site I inspection and estimate, I had them come out.
From this point on, I felt with the local shop. They were super nice, professional and got things rolling. Unfortunately even for them to process the claim, they had to wait for lengthy replies from Carefree. They also told me that the new process was indeed different from before. And their prior claims either dealt with insurance claims for accident damages or faulty products they had sold & installed. So doing a claim for a product from another dealer or a manufacturer installed, was different.

So anyways, my arm arrived a week ago and is scheduled to be installed Tuesday next week. I only paid the $80 and the rest is warranted. So happy!
Old 02-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #16
mikz86ta

Oh and by the way.....if you are ever in the South Florida area like Miami/Ft.Lauderdale ... look up 1st Choice RV Outfitters. I highly recommend. These guys were spot on professional. And the lady at the office was so nice and persistent. I only spent $80 service inspection call and they have treated me like a long - standing valued customer.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #17
mikz86ta

Back in business!
Covered under warranty but u got to have a dealer local do the paperwork and install it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG2315.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	15459  

Tags
awning