Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2023, 07:34 AM   #21
Wa6cp

I removed all fuses, and then put them in to see if I drop voltage again. The voltage remained at 14vdc.
When I tried plugging in either of the 40a ones, there was a spark, and the voltage dropped out. The fuse did not blow.
Wa6cp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:48 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

Remove the battery leads at the battery and put the 40A fuses back in again

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:50 AM   #23
Wa6cp

Sorry, what two test points am I measuring at?
Old 11-17-2023, 07:51 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

With all due respect I'm thinking it might be in your best interest to call for help. At this point I did not see where you have had the battery tested and removing/attaching wires while live, removing and inserting fuses while the circuit is energized can lead to bad things happening. It would be a shame to ruin a brand new converter and possibly cause a fire. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:55 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa6cp View Post
I did confirm the fuses with a meter.
I have 14vdc when I remove the positive lead from the converter side of the terminal. But when I reconnect, I’m down to 1 volt, and the converter starts to get a little warm.
Using the WFCO Troubleshooting Guide, the FIRST step in checking the converter/charger output is to "disconnect the battery terminals". There are shortcuts, but for a novice, I would recommend following the WFCO guide "EXACTLY as printed"... That way, there is no confusion about the short cuts altering the results.....

Here are the instructions as printed by WFCO:

Before checking the converter output voltage, it is necessary to
disconnect the battery cables at the battery
. Make sure
the converter is plugged into AC source (105-132 Volts). Check the
converter output voltage at the battery with a voltmeter. Place the
probes on the disconnected battery cables
; place the Positive (red) meter
probe on the + positive red battery wire and place the Negative (black)
meter probe on the -Negative black wire on the battery cable. Be sure you
have good connections at the cables. If the voltage reads 13.6 Vdc (+/-.2)
with no load, the converter is functioning properly

The three bolded statements are the "key" to properly measuring the converter/charger output. If the battery is still connected to the converter/charger, it will "shut off the voltage monitor circuit in the converter/charger" and alter the voltage output.

So, following the troubleshooting steps:

1. COMPLETELY disconnect the battery
2. Verify the input voltage (120VAC) to the converter/charger
3. Verify the reverse polarity fuses are good.
4. Place the red voltmeter lead on the + battery cable and the black lead on the - battery cable (at the battery box not at the converter) and measure the voltage output from the converter/charger.
5. If the output voltage on the meter is 13.6 VDC, then the converter/charger is functioning correctly.

It sounds like, in your post, that you measured 14.0VDC (too high), but that measurement wasn't "at the battery cables"....

From your first post, it sounds like you are using a Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) battery. Having bought a new converter/charger, and reading 14.0VDC on the output terminals, I'd suspect the converter/charger is set to Lithium battery choice, not FLA battery choice. If you're "eyeballing the voltage" then you need to reverify the reading on a meter scale that will give you a more accurate reading (13.6 +/- 0.2VDC).

So, if you do have the converter/charger set to "Li" you need to change that setting (assuming the new converter is the upgraded model). If there is no FLA/Li switch, you need to confirm whether the new converter/charger is "the same as your old one" or whether it is one of the new "automatic selector models" (no FLA/Li switch) or the new "manual model" with a FLA/Li switch.

Charging FLA batteries on the Lithium profile will damage/destroy the battery and may be why you can't get battery charging current to properly charge your battery.

All that said, if you follow the WFCO troubleshooting steps and do have 13.6 VDC AT THE BATTERY CABLE TERMINALS then your converter/charger is operating properly and, IMO, the problem is that your battery has either a shorted cell, has sulfated plates and needs to be replaced or was "boiled dry" and needs to be replaced.

Your statement: "But when I reconnect, I’m down to 1 volt, and the converter starts to get a little warm." tells me that your battery is the cause of the problem. When disconnected you get 14VDC and when you connect it, it's down to 1VDC is evidence that the battery is the problem.. That said, you still MUST verify the converter/charger switch setting and correct voltage output AT THE BATTERY CABLE TERMINALS, not at the converter terminals.

I hope this helps fix (or at least verify) your problem and fix.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:32 AM   #26
Wa6cp

Well…I disconnected the battery, put the fuses back in and again lost voltage.
Then…I disconnected the battery wire from the circuit board, and all lights are on in the trailer.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:35 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Well…I disconnected the battery, put the fuses back in and again lost voltage.
Then…I disconnected the battery wire from the circuit board, and all lights are on in the trailer.
It appears you have a shorted to ground cable somewhere between the converter/charger to the battery cable terminals. I'd start where the battery cables come through the bulkhead next to the battery box and work back from there.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:53 AM   #28
Wa6cp

Thanks, That is the only thing it could be. There are two terminal/lug points that have 3-4 wires on each. Almost for sure, I will find the short there. If worst comes to worst,I will run another wire to the battery, but I feel confident it is there!
Thank you again everyone for your knowledge and valuable input…and my family thanks you.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:04 AM   #29
Wa6cp

Thank you JRTJH, for the troubleshooting guide. This converter is an ‘auto detect’ type of charger. I did disconnect the battery, per Chuckster57’s recommendation. The voltage went low w/o or with the battery connected.
The converter voltage is 13.6 vdc. I was measuring with an older vom.
Thank you again.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:22 AM   #30
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Take your Volt/Ohm meter and set it to continuity.

Disconnect the converter from the 12V side and check continuity between the positive connection and the ground bar on the 120V side.
Did you mean to say this? If he does this with shore power connected, he'll smoke his ohmmeter.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:20 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Did you mean to say this? If he does this with shore power connected, he'll smoke his ohmmeter.
I meant with shore power disconnected and battery disconnected

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:59 PM   #32
Wa6cp

Thank you. Thats what chuckster57 had me do. There was contuinity.
I disconnected the battery lead on the board, and everything works.
I will remove the cables from the bulkhead, and put them on s terminal strip, isolated from the bulkhead.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:10 AM   #33
adeakins

Quote:
Hello,
I went to turn on my 12vdc lights in a 2017 Hideout, and no illumination. All fuses are ok including the two 40 amp ones. I checked the voltage at the converter. It read 2vdc. It was also warm. I purchased an exact replacement, $248.00, installed it, and am still getting 2vdc. I was hoping maybe a shorted battery, even though the battery is relatively new. I disconnected it, But still had only 2Vdc.
I appreciate any help in this problem.
(I have family coming this weekend).
You didn’t say whether you are 50 or 30 amp. If 50, generally, your trailer is divided into two legs. If things are working on one side of the trailer but not the other, check the two hot slots in the park pier. If both of those show 124, or thereabouts, check the trailer end of your power cord.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:49 AM   #34
Wa6cp

Thanks Adeakins,
I haven’t troubleshot the short yet. Using just the power supply powered everything in the coach. It is a 30amp coach.
Did you see in a prior reply, when I disconnected the battery lead on the circuit/power board, causing me to think maybe a short by the battery/bulkhead area.
Christopher
Old 11-23-2023, 02:25 PM   #35
bobbecky

Quote:
Thanks, That is the only thing it could be. There are two terminal/lug points that have 3-4 wires on each. Almost for sure, I will find the short there. If worst comes to worst,I will run another wire to the battery, but I feel confident it is there!
Thank you again everyone for your knowledge and valuable input…and my family thanks you.
Those terminal/lug points are actually self reseting breakers.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:25 AM   #36
Wa6cp

Good morning,
Thank you again for your detailed reply. I sure appreciate it.
I wanted to let you know what I found.
The cable that connects to my truck, had pulled out of it’s plastic grommet at the fifth wheel tongue, causing the wire insulation to be pulled away, and the bare wire shorting to ground. I reinforced the grommet, and put shrink wrap on the wire. Problem is resolved!
Thank you again!
Chris Pickett
Old 04-04-2024, 09:14 AM   #37
LHaven

Always nice to hear a happy ending!
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout