Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2023, 04:58 AM   #1
BeeMagicUSA

Hideout 2014 slide-out roof to fix

Need assistance if anybody possesses sort of manufacturer's manual for slide-out ceiling replacement understanding, how to remove it and how to fix the bow shape roof.
A previous owner hided from me the fact slide-out roof is in a bow like shape collecting huge amount of rain water that leaks inside even with negative angle of a camper installation on a ground. Very disappointed but purchased "as is" so no complaints to the seller. Keystone customer service referred me to the closest dealer that cannot help me virtually. I cannot bring my camper to his yard.
Any advice is appreciated.

As well would appreciate for sharing experience of changing or removing dusty carpet at slide-our floor. What is the procedure ?
BeeMagicUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:25 PM   #2
Mikendebbie

BeeMagic - I also posted this to your post about the slide floors.

I have no idea what the slide roof deck is made of...single piece of plywood or sandwich panel. Just thinking about it - if I had the same problem however...

I think the slide fascia trim/board contributes support to the slide box roof across the unsupported opening. I would be thinking of ways to re-attach the sagging roof deck to the front slide trim. Unfortunately - I would have to do some demo to take the fascia parts off to see how it was put together. Frankly - my solution might involve adding structural components (like a metal stud or C-channel) across the intersection of the ceiling and the slide trim to bring the roof deck back to a flat position across the opening like it was when it was new. My fix might be exposed and ugly in the eyes of my chief inspector (DW)...but somehow the roof deck needs support across the opening and it needs to be attached to the fascia trim.

Edit: the framing for the slide box on a Montana is aluminum tube. Do you know if the slide box for a Hideout is wood framing? If it is wood, and if the wood got wet over a period of time - it probably rotted, and that is why the roof is sagging in the middle. If so - my approach would be the same...I would figure out some sort of metal C-channel or metal tube to span across the slide box opening and support the weakened roof.

Again - I have no experience with fixing slides - just throwing out ideas and sketches below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-04-28_07-23-01.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	45344   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-10-04_11-18-18.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	45345   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-10-04_16-47-45.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	45346  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 04:57 AM   #3
Mikendebbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMagicUSA View Post
As well would appreciate for sharing experience of changing or removing dusty carpet at slide-our floor. What is the procedure ?
My experience removing carpet at slide-out floor in previous RVs - it is probably shot down to the plywood floor with slightly over 1 million staples. You probably do not want to save the carpet - so get a good carpet knife and a flat prybar, and start ripping and pulling it up. I use needle-nose pliers + other pliers to get the staples out. It ain't fun.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout, roof, slide