Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2024, 07:11 AM   #1
Kearah

Cool Looking to buy a 2021 Hideout 272bh

Hi Folks!

Im Keara, out of Western NY. currently running a forest river wildwood 17rbh, need something bigger with bunk beds for the kids.

Hoping to buy a 272bh hideout- Completely sold on the floor plan as I have 2 kids. Really love the amenities from that year, as we went and looked at the same (ish) model from a camper show for the 24 models and it looks like a lot of the amenities are no longer part of the camper (no oven, shower is platformed, less bunk bed privacy, no windows on sidewalls of slide outs etc)

The price I was quotes from the dealer is 19,900- Im a little green here, but it seems a good price to me. MSRP is 30k, seeing them sold elsewhere for 25k
It is a used unit- which im in favor of- in hopes that all the small issues will have already been worked out.

If anyone has this camper, or has any advice before we go talk with the dealer- bargaining points etc please let me know!

We'll be towing with a Silverado 1500, just added airbags and a transmission cooler to it. A little nervous on some of those PA hills and if we go to the ADK, but it im within my limits here.

Thanks Folks,
Have a great weekend!
Kearah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:07 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Before you sign on the line, make sure you inspect the roof and check all the seams. Airbags do nothing for the truck ratings, look at the tag in the drivers door area for the cargo carrying capacity.

Towing capacity isn’t really a useful number, so let’s leave that be. The tongue weight of your prospective trailer is about 800 pounds. In reality, after batteries, propane and hitch it’s about 1000 pounds. Looking at the tag again in the door, subtract 1000 pounds and what’s left is what you can legally put in the truck.

I hope all the numbers work for you.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 04:17 AM   #3
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:39 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

"We'll be towing with a Silverado 1500, just added airbags and a transmission cooler to it. A little nervous on some of those PA hills and if we go to the ADK, but it im within my limits here."

The quote above indicates that the 1/2 ton truck you have is not equipped to tow a 30' camper. I'm guessing the truck came with P rated (passanger) tires. While you may have enough horse power, the rest of the drivetrain and suspension will not be up to the task.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:16 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Just a quick reality check;

The proposed trailer is almost 31' long; 30.67' and the gvwr is 7780lbs. Figured at 13% gvwr for tongue weight = 1011lbs. Add a good wdh with sway control (an absolute must) 120lbs. Sub total = 120 + 1011 = 1131. Add weight of kids (2) and adults = 300lbs? 1131 + 300 = 1431lbs. This is just a start. Look at the sticker inside the driver door and see what the payload/carrying capacity is on the yellow/white sticker.....you will be maxing out the truck. Secondary thoughts;

The 1500 had to have an aux tranny cooler added means no towing package and added weight to subtract from the payload number inside the door. Same goes for the air bags, upgraded tires (another must) etc. Assuming it was meant as a light duty truck it will probably have a rear axle ratio of something like 3.2x/3.4x - NOT a tow vehicle ratio. You don't state the year of the tow vehicle but if it is older and does not have at least a 6 speed tranny the tranny/drivetrain will self destruct if you try to tow much across the mountains. Which brings up yet another point;

A light duty truck's light suspension from springs to shackles to bolts, ring gear, axles, brakes etc. are just that....light duty. Those things will make towing in the mountains not only uncomfortable but dangerous. It can be done; I've done it, but it isn't smart or safe. Keep that in mind. I would suggest you DO need a larger space but I would also suggest that thought should also include a truck capable of towing whatever it is that you intend to buy.

Edit: Welcome to the forum! I zeroed in on the towing problem and failed to welcome you. Not trying to rain on the parade but simply trying to point out a glaring problem that caught my eye. Lots of folks here with tons of knowledge willing to help you going forward - just expect honesty and an effort to keep you and yours safe.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout