Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Vidorcom

Rear Patio Cable Mounting?

I just ordered the cable set up to use my loading deck as a patio while camping. I have everything needed to install but wanted to get a visual of one already installed. Does anyone have this already setup and is willing to show me me pictures of where the bracket is mounted on the ramp door itself?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
matandjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidorcom View Post
I just ordered the cable set up to use my loading deck as a patio while camping. I have everything needed to install but wanted to get a visual of one already installed. Does anyone have this already setup and is willing to show me me pictures of where the bracket is mounted on the ramp door itself?
I dont have a photo on me, but can take one this weekend. You can also do a google search for this as I just found many pictures of these decks with the cables installed.
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Vidorcom

That's what I have been doing but can't get one close enough. I would appreciate if you could. Mainly the bracket that is mounted on ramp door.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
matandjen

Quote:
That's what I have been doing but can't get one close enough. I would appreciate if you could. Mainly the bracket that is mounted on ramp door.
Absolutely.
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
howdy
Permanent User Ban

The one thing to keep in mind is that all the major brands of toy haulers get their ramp door from the same place. The last 2 years you could get the ramp patio option. I was told that is no longer an option at this time as there is a redesign going on with the door. With the problems they are having with a door designed to be used as a patio, I would think long and hard about turning my non patio door into a patio. Are there people out there who have done this modification? Absolutely. Time will tell how well this mod will hold up.

Per a brand manager: "The first and most important is the outer perimeter framing of the ramp door is box tube thicker gage steel. The standard ramp door frame isn't near as strong as the one that is included with the ramp door patio kit. Because of that and you have the cables pulling on the framing with a lot of force you risk the chance of bending the ramp door framing which would then in turn not allow your ramp door seal properly while in the closed position. We also include more pinch free springs to accommodate for the additional weight in the ramp door. The ramp door patio kit also has a layer of metal that is added during the lamination process to prevent furniture from poking holes into the ramp door."
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Vidorcom

So what is the difference loading a 1600 lbs side by side? Still the same stress on the doors. As far as furniture poking holes that is understandable. I have indoor outdoor rug that I'll lay out. I'm not looking to pile 20 people on. Dealers do not want to touch due to liability unless it's a bolt on option for that particular trailer.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
SmittysRV

This is all I got I the rear patio. I can get some close ups later

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337644995.715362.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1367

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Vidorcom

Thanks for the pix. I will have installed before the holiday weekend and post pix of the install for anyone else in future.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
demondog

patio room upgrade for toy hauler

where can i buy the cables and hardware for ramp door for fifth wheel toy hauler and the factory looking railing for ramp door
demondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Vidorcom

What type of trailer do you have? Nothing is in your signature.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
demondog

I have a 2007 outback sydney edition 31rqs, iam looking at fuzion fifth wheel toy haulers, some dont have the patio option if i get one and it doesnt have it i would add it
demondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Vidorcom

Depending what model you buy. Fifth wheels with 8ft door you can purchase straight from a fuzion dealer. I have 2012 bumper tow and has a 7ft door. I made the cables but bought mounting hardware from dealer.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
demondog

Iam looking to buy the newer style railing fencing that goes around my garage door when iam using it as a patio looking for the awning for it also on my 2010 Fuzion 398
Old 04-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
ocho

Quote:
I may not have caught this, but if this question was posted, please forgive me, but is your door the optional door that will accept a cable support system or is a stock door you want to retro-fit. If its a retro-fit, I don't think id add cables to it to make a patio. I agree with some of the other poster here that why not? If it supports Harleys, golf carts ATV's etc, why not? I asked this question to Keystone. Their answer was the door is not re-enforced like the optional door and set up to only handle those weights temporarily.

Here's what I do. When I get to a camp site or park, I use the picnic table and place it under the door with a couple 2x4's set to spread the load. I feels that this is sufficient support to avoid damage. The weight on the door is now spread across the door and not exclusively on the door frame edges.

Just my 2cents
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Ocho; there are a few threads out there addressing ramps and patios containing information on issues/concerns of adding a patio to rear ramp. Doing a search on say ramp should bring them all up
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #16
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Ocho; there are a few threads out there addressing ramps and patios containing information on issues/concerns of adding a patio to rear ramp. Doing a search on say ramp should bring them all up
Thanks. I understand the concerns of attempting this retrofit if in fact that what he's doing. I was merely curious if the original poster of this thread had the optional patio door or was attempting to retrofit a stock door to use as a patio.
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #17
Vidorcom

I did a retro fit. I drilled through the door to mount brackets that I ordered from the dealer. The cables were meant for 8ft door, i had them shortened up on mine. Used many times, and everything is good to go. Door is rated for 2000lbs evenly distributed for a short amount of time.... A table, chairs, firepit and good to go. I am and well prepared to make a new door if the door fails over time. For now let the good times happen!

Its like lifting your truck, tuning your diesel, etc..... If your gonna play be ready to pay.

Happy Camping
Old 04-16-2014, 05:40 AM   #18
canesfan

Quote:
I did a retro fit. I drilled through the door to mount brackets that I ordered from the dealer. The cables were meant for 8ft door, i had them shortened up on mine. Used many times, and everything is good to go. Door is rated for 2000lbs evenly distributed for a short amount of time.... A table, chairs, firepit and good to go. I am and well prepared to make a new door if the door fails over time. For now let the good times happen!

Its like lifting your truck, tuning your diesel, etc..... If your gonna play be ready to pay.

Happy Camping
You're actually putting a firepit on your ramp???