Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
Maineiacs

Winterizing - one size does NOT fit all!

Just read another post where someone said "never add antifreeze to the fresh water tank", implying the world will end if that's done.

Some campers have a direct intake to the water pump that bypasses the tank and adds antifreeze directly to the plumbing - NOT ALL OF THEM DO.

Some campers have water pump fittings that are easily accessible and again, a direct siphon can be created that bypasses the tank - NOT ALL OF THEM DO.

Some campers can gravity feed the antifreeze into a connection and the pump will circulate it from there - NOT ALL OF THEM DO.

Some campers are perfectly happy to use compressed air to blow out the lines - NOT ALL OF US LIKE THAT APPROACH.

Some campers need to add the antifreeze to the tank so the pump can do its work and circulate the solution where it's needed. NOT ALL OF THEM DO.

Posters replying to "newbies" should remember that what works for them does not work for everyone - each of us has different situations.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Maybe the comment should be "never add antifreeze to the fresh water tank unless your water pump is totally inaccessible"? I've seen some RVs where the water pump is a bear to get to, mine is one. I do have the benefit of the antifreeze inlet in the convenience center however. I think what I get from those kinds of comments, and I read virtually all of them, is that using the fresh tank isn't the preferred, efficient method - and it's not. Some folks don't know that you can buy an inlet kit for the pump when they first look at it and just assume the only way it can get water is by pumping it from the fresh tank which isn't accurate. All situations, trailers etc. are different but by and large most give access to the pump simply because it requires maintenance from time to time so pumping directly from an anti freeze jug vs from the tank is quicker, easier and cheaper.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
notanlines

I stand before you, head bowed and hat in hand, having been duly chastised. Yes, you both are correct.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:43 AM   #4
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I stand before you, head bowed and hat in hand, having been duly chastised. Yes, you both are correct.

Not my intention at all Jim. We all frequently assume that all coaches are like the one we currently own. Just trying to point out to those new to the RV world that there are multiple ways "to skin the cat".
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:29 AM   #5
notanlines

Believe me, everything’s good. When looking at how I had worded it, correction was needed!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:18 AM   #6
travelin texans

I completely understand all are not the same.
But for those dumping AF into the fw tank they need to understand that it may take 10 times, possibly more, as much AF to do the job so the pump can pick up a gallon or 2.
Also to mention once there's been water in the fw tank unless you've put a vacuum on the tank there will still be who knows how many gallons of
water left in the tank to dilute the AF.
An example. We purchased a new 5th wheel, dealer filled the tank for testing, we typically only stay at FHU sites so I immediately opened the tank drain, for about 2 months every time I made a hard turn there would be a quart or 2 of water run out of the open drain, I guessimated there was between 2-4 gallons of water left once it quit draining.
From that experience dumping the AF into the fw tank would've most likely diluted it to the point of being a waste of time & $$ to winterize.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:56 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
Just read another post where someone said "never add antifreeze to the fresh water tank", implying the world will end if that's done.

Some campers have a direct intake to the water pump that bypasses the tank and adds antifreeze directly to the plumbing - NOT ALL OF THEM DO.

Some campers have water pump fittings that are easily accessible and again, a direct siphon can be created that bypasses the tank - NOT ALL OF THEM DO.

Some campers can gravity feed the antifreeze into a connection and the pump will circulate it from there - NOT ALL OF THEM DO.

Some campers are perfectly happy to use compressed air to blow out the lines - NOT ALL OF US LIKE THAT APPROACH.

Some campers need to add the antifreeze to the tank so the pump can do its work and circulate the solution where it's needed. NOT ALL OF THEM DO.

Posters replying to "newbies" should remember that what works for them does not work for everyone - each of us has different situations.
That is one of the reasons I suggest folks put their two letter state abbreviation after their town/city as it is often hard to figure out where they are located geographically without going to their profile. You are 100 percent correct that geographic weather varies from one place to another so the way winterizing is done makes sense to vary. Just tell folks, "I do it this way" kind of defeats the purpose of giving advice if they are in the Arctic and you are in South Texas.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:35 PM   #8
CWtheMan

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-ho...terize-your-rv
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:02 PM   #9
08quadram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
Not my intention at all Jim. We all frequently assume that all coaches are like the one we currently own. Just trying to point out to those new to the RV world that there are multiple ways "to skin the cat".
Watch how/where you use that phrase. [emoji6]
I used that once at a client meeting(library board meeting discussing plans for a new library) and one of the board members had a shirt with a large cat photo on it. She is/was a huge cat fan. She took it well and it took the next year for me to live it down. She didn't let me forget it. I believe she was in her 80s then. Good times.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:33 AM   #10
bgrhrdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just tell folks, "I do it this way" kind of defeats the purpose of giving advice if they are in the Arctic and you are in South Texas.
Agreed, except for February 2021. Might has well have been in the Arctic, huh? I wonder how many didn't winterize any differently for that event?
Old 11-01-2022, 04:35 AM   #11
bgrhrdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08quadram View Post
Watch how/where you use that phrase.
It's usually OK as long as her name isn't Karen. I really feel sorry for women whose name actually is Karen. Same with the Brandons of the world.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:51 AM   #12
dutchmensport

I've had 3 travel trailers and 1 fifth wheel. None of them winterized the water lines the same way. But with all of them, I was able to pump-the-pink. And then, sometimes, I blew the pink out.

And yes, I've never put RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank. ... well, I did on my very first winter with my very first travel trailer for my very first winter and I learned why you don't want to do that come the next Spring. It's because it's near impossible to rinse and flush out the residue on the bottom of the tank, because the drain connection in the tank, always sits a bit higher than the bottom of the tank, making it absolutely impossible to get ALL the water out (in this case, all the RV antifreeze). There is always a bit left.

Put RV antifreeze in there, and it's a matter of adding water and dumping, adding water and dumping, adding water and dumping a couple dozen times until it finally gets diluted enough, it's not noticeable any more. THAT is why you don't want to put RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:21 AM   #13
jasin1

i always add rv antifreeze to my fresh water tank..have always done that in my boats because it’s usually the only easy option…i never ever drink from any fresh water tank on my boats or my rv …we keep gallon jugs of sealed fresh water for coffee and cooking and a case of smaller bottles for my wife to drink and brushing teeth…i drink Pelligrino so have a case of that on hand…i flush the fresh water tank before using in the spring but it really isn’t that big of an issue unless you are drinking it.

i’d much rather be sure everything is winterized then worry about a little bit of non toxic antifreeze spoiling the taste of the water that i won’t ever drink

EDIT: i do use the water heater bypass and winterizing inlet port for the antifreeze but i always add some antifreeze to the fresh water tank and cycle the water pump just to make sure there isn’t a small section of internal water hose between the tank and pump that might get missed.
yeah it’s overkill but what’s a few extra bucks for peace of mind
Old 11-01-2022, 01:27 PM   #14
razor 68

I have had four different campers and have always put rv antifreeze in the water tank and pumped it around. I drain then by pass the water heater first. I blow the lines out with 40psi of air until none comes out the low water drains or the fresh tank drain. Then I pump antifreeze in the water tank. Has always worked good for me. After flushing the tank out -all seems good. Only use the tank to wash and flush the toilet. Have used the same antifreeze in the lines of my inground pool for 21 years.When spring comes you open things up and pump it into the pool-no issues.I do add water treatment to my rv tank from time to time though.
razor 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 01:52 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrhrdt View Post
Agreed, except for February 2021. Might has well have been in the Arctic, huh? I wonder how many didn't winterize any differently for that event?
I blew out the lines with compressed air and poured antifreeze into the P traps weeks prior and had no damage. I also ran my generator constantly and burned about a ton of scrub cedar in my fireplace. Power was out 5 days. Neighbor gave me really big hunks of mesquite which burns MUCH hotter than the cedar and I burned up the back of my fireplace (the ceramic panel) and later had to pay to have it replaced.

I had already insulated my pump shed and stand pipe on my water tank so had no problems there because I shut down power before the worst of the freeze happened. My neighbors didn't and I ended up giving PVC to my one neighbor as PVC was impossible to find for a couple weeks after the event. The hardware in Medina had some couplers that were needed but nowhere else had anything. I try and keep a supply of PVC pipe and fittings on hand.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:09 PM   #16
TimC

I use the compressed air method. Maybe if I lived in a colder place I’d do more, but it’s above 0 F here (WI) occasionally in the winter.

I switched to doing compressed air only because we take trips throughout the winter and I want it to be easy to de-winterize (no need to flush out antifreeze) and winterize. I know some people think if they have a few drops of water left in the lines that their rig is going to blow up, but it won’t. Freezing destroys things due to the water expanding. If you have minuscule amounts of water left in your lines it won’t expand enough to cause a problem.

You should see what we do with our pools in the winter here. (hint: we don’t drain them just give the water room to expand).

That said, people should do whatever they feel is necessary to protect their rig.

TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 03:55 AM   #17
ChuckS

Yup - there are many methods to winterize an RV.. How one chooses to is up to them..

I've never in 45 years of RVing put RV antifreeze into a fresh water tank.. It would take probably 5 gallons or more of that poured into the tank for the pump to be able draw it thru the system.. IMO

I use the air method and then use the winterize port and draw anti freeze into the system.. Of course I bypass the water heater and remove the anode and drain since its the flip of a lever at the water panel to bypass

I run the antifreeze after blowing out the system because I want some of that to run thru the water pump so that I know for certain it cant freeze and crack due to residual

Takes me less than 2 gallons of antifreeze .. blowing out first displaces all the water using air instead of several gallons of antifreeze.

Many also don't consider if they have a built in ice maker or a washing machine.. I have neither.. less to worry about

When asked i usually recommend using both air and then antifreeze and then its up to the OP to figure out what they wanna do

Of course I also pour some antifreeze down the P traps and leave some in the toilet bowl..

Again - NO antifreeze is my fresh water tank.. it isn't needed since the tank is drained.. just a waste at $3.99 a gallon...

Some of the newer RVs don't have P traps and instead use Hepvo valves in place of the P trap - even if I had Hepvo valves I would still pour antifreeze down the drains so that I was sure any residual water was displaced.

Lastly one item that many overlook is blowing out the OEM plastic antisiphon valve that is in line with those with built in black tank rinse connections.. IF water is still in the valve ( usually is ) then it freezes and the OP has a nice flood next year first time its used.

Yup - one size don't fit all... that's why folks need to take the time and educate themselves on the layout of their system before hand and obtain the required items to properly winterize...

Also folks really should sanitize their fresh water system at the beginning of the year after purging all the antifreeze out ( if used ).. even if they only use the air only method they should still sanitize.. ( most don't )..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:07 AM   #18
larryflew

The manual for our Forest River Vengeance actually says to dump 6 gallons into your fresh tank and then run it through. Removed the basement wall, cut into 3 pieces and installed a hose and shut of at the pump. Did 3 pieces because the other end of the basement has the water heater with the shut offs and bypass valves. Although supposedly a mid range trailer it is nowhere near the quality our Alpine was. Mostly design issues rather than build issues. Must use junior engineers for their lower line of 5th wheels. Zero cabinets lower than 6 feet. Fuse box in location if the slides don't work you can't get to the fuses or breakers as was the case with a bad slide motor on bedroom slide. On and on.........
Old 11-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #19
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrhrdt View Post
It's usually OK as long as her name isn't Karen. I really feel sorry for women whose name actually is Karen. Same with the Brandons of the world.
Thank you,

Karen
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:38 AM   #20
Canoefire

What about the line from the freshwater tank to the pump.

My only concern with not putting antifreeze in the freshwater tank is how do you get the water out of the line between the freshwater tank and the pump.
Canoefire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing