Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #21
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We lived in Gwinn for about 5 years and tried to get down to visit with the DW's family about one weekend a month. That's a bunch of trips across the bridge. We "changed up" the drive by going 77 through Germfask/Blaney Park, then next time through Engadine on 117. Then, in the summer we'd take 123 through Ozark and up to 28, but that was always a "LONG TRIP" through the Seney Stretch.... We never tried that route in the winter and stayed on US2 along the "banana belt" to Escanaba and up 35 to Gwinn. Less snow that way. On occasion along US28 along Lake Superior from Newberry to Munising and then from Munising into Marquette, there would be 10' of snow on the shoulders and 1-2 feet of fresh powder on the road. Even following the snow plow was never a guarantee of "easy driving".

Enjoy your trip, that part of the UP is always nice in August/September. Safe travels.
Gonna be resting next Tuesday early evening at the Gaylord Walmart off 75. If your in the heighborhood, stop by for a chat...

???

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
Olsen29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
Gonna be resting next Tuesday early evening at the Gaylord Walmart off 75. If your in the heighborhood, stop by for a chat...

???
We live 13 miles north of Gwinn near the"Crossroads" they have a real good pasty. Our family has been here forever. Well at least since the 1870s.
Won't be traveling south for the winters for a few more years.
It is hard to go very far when the weather is nice, we have so much to see right here and the people are the best. I hope you enjoy the great UP and the rest of Michigan.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #23
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen29 View Post
We live 13 miles north of Gwinn near the"Crossroads" they have a real good pasty. Our family has been here forever. Well at least since the 1870s.
Won't be traveling south for the winters for a few more years.
It is hard to go very far when the weather is nice, we have so much to see right here and the people are the best. I hope you enjoy the great UP and the rest of Michigan.

Childhood buddy of mine lives in Gywinn, DW's Aunt and Uncle live in Naubenway. We get up the the UP 4-5 times a year, God's country for sure..
just to far for a wknd camping trip though..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen29 View Post
We live 13 miles north of Gwinn near the"Crossroads" ...

Ross,

We were stationed at KI Sawyer in the late 60's and again in the 70's and 80's. My DW's family are some of the "settlers" in Marquette. One of her uncles was the post master there and several of her aunts and uncles lived throughout the area. One of them owned the old Finn Sauna that used to be on the corner of S Division and E Furnace. Names like Jujentienen, LaPointe, Brown and Warsheivski. Yeah, I know LOL

I went to my first "duck races" at the Crossroads bar in 1968. Darnedest thing I'd ever seen. We bought a house in the subdivision just north of the crossroads and lived there for about 5 years. It was almost at the back door of Cliff's Ridge.

Great community, great people and great times around that area. We still have a camp on Lake Kawbawgam, but seldom get a chance to get up there to enjoy it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:41 AM   #25
SAABDOCTOR

Looks like a road trip is in order!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #26
Olsen29

Very small world! Happy trails!

Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #27
CrazyCain

1) Lehto's Pasties, St. Ignace
This spot has been around since 1947, and stands out for its moist, flaky crust, well-seasoned filling, and homemade feel.

Voted Best Pasties in Michigan on ONLYINYOURSTATE web page.. but we all knew that already, didn't we..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 10-20-2017, 04:46 AM   #28
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
1) Lehto's Pasties, St. Ignace
This spot has been around since 1947, and stands out for its moist, flaky crust, well-seasoned filling, and homemade feel.

Voted Best Pasties in Michigan on ONLYINYOURSTATE web page.. but we all knew that already, didn't we..

[emoji38]
Mmmmmmmmm! Pasties!!! (Said while mouth is watering)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:41 AM   #29
Sailorpat1954

Ok guys you got me now.. I am a native New Yorker on living in Michigan since 1997, I always hear about pasty’s. My wife who is native of Michigan talks about them also.

We are on our first trip with our first trailer (Keystone Passage 2520 DL) we are in a little town called Temple (10 miles west of Harrison and 2 hours south the UP.

Can I get pasty’s down hear or do I have to head over the bridge. The coffee is perking and now you all got me hungry . I want to taste a pasty [emoji3]

Thanks
Pat and Deb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sailorpat1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:13 AM   #30
notanlines

Try Mr Foisie's in Cadillac. Wisconsinites have a better chance of getting good pasties than do trolls, but this is a good place.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:01 AM   #31
CrazyCain

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Trolls.. oh, your right!!!!! Got some decent ones way south of the bridge, but no where near the U.P Pastie,, It has to be something in the air up there......

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 10-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Tom. You can get some "good" pasties south of the bridge. Most people are extremely satisfied with the offerings in the LP, until......

Once you stop at Letho's just west of St Ignace, you simply can't compare what you find available in the LP with "heaven's pastie"..... No, they probably aren't that "dramatically better", but Letho's pasties are, at least for us, a cut above. Just the right mixture of potatoes, beef, rutabaga, onion and spices, all baked to perfection in a golden, buttery crust that would make "mom's apple pie" pale by comparison.... Letho's sells beef, chicken and vegetarian pasties, but honestly, if it ain't beef it ain't authentic. And, yes, the thickness of the potato slices does make a difference. It's an art as well as a recipe.

We've been travelling through that area since 1968 and every trip through, no matter if we were there yesterday or last month, always includes a stop at Letho's. They do close early on days when the sell out of pasties (the only thing they sell) and if we happen by after they close, we always feel like we missed something.....

To the Finns, a good pastie is more than a meal, it's a "quest for the best". While nobody makes them as well as Aunt Eva Jujentienen, Letho's does a noble job.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #33
Bowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ross,

We were stationed at KI Sawyer in the late 60's and again in the 70's and 80's. My DW's family are some of the "settlers" in Marquette. One of her uncles was the post master there and several of her aunts and uncles lived throughout the area. One of them owned the old Finn Sauna that used to be on the corner of S Division and E Furnace. Names like Jujentienen, LaPointe, Brown and Warsheivski. Yeah, I know LOL

I went to my first "duck races" at the Crossroads bar in 1968. Darnedest thing I'd ever seen. We bought a house in the subdivision just north of the crossroads and lived there for about 5 years. It was almost at the back door of Cliff's Ridge.

Great community, great people and great times around that area. We still have a camp on Lake Kawbawgam, but seldom get a chance to get up there to enjoy it.
Small world. Born and raised in Marquette so it was fun reading this post. John, I lived just down from the sauna for a while. We are now in Wisconsin, but still have a camp in Autrain.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #34
RK1978

We have gotten ours at Bessies, will have to try Lehtos next trip. We stayed at Castle Rock RV just a few feet from the beach, so Bessies was close. They were so good we bought a half dozen to put in the freezer to bring home. Turned out really well, crust was still flaky even after being frozen and reheated in microwave. Anybody puts ketchup on mine they better take it out of my sight-brown gravy or nothing!
PR
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Brown gravy, 1/4 sliced dill pickle and chocolate milk..... Catsup (or ketsup) YECHT !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-27-2018, 02:50 AM   #36
notanlines

Vegetarian pasty? Like vegetarian chili.....an oxymoron! Catsup? Not on your life!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:34 AM   #37
jamcbride

Never heard of these but boy sounds like something I would love. Reminds me of Kolaches. Pronounced Koh'laa'chee. My Fav is the Ranchero. www.kolachefactory.com.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #38
rdnkjeeper

It all depends on the pasty, if they are great, nothing on them. If they are dry, then I will put some catsup on it!
rdnkjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #39
Carvendive

Born & raised in Mqt as well.

My grandfather was from Cornwall where pasties came from. Dad use to make them but I suspect that the depression made his a little thin on meat. Not having gone through the depression we make ours with a blend of beef and pork. The ONLY seasonings are salt and pepper. We still use lard but only 50% as it contributes to heartburn. Rutibeggies are a must but the secret is the onion, pork and lard. I use sweet onions. If you have problems with heartburn put in some parsley. If your party is dry my mom use to add some water (like katchup) - it works. Katchup was for the kids. They liked it sweetened up a bit.
How about the Coudighi at the Venice in Ishpaming - puts the Philly steak sandwich on notice. Unfortunately I don't think the Venice exists any more and Ralph's ain't near as good IMO.
Carvendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Ahhhh The Venice Supper Club, it's still there and the cudighi isn't what it was in the 60's, but it still tastes great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	THE VENICE1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	15919   Click image for larger version

Name:	THE VENICE.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	15920  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS