Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2024, 11:14 AM   #1
Autoteacher56

2019 Keystone cougar 369bhs Generator carrier

Hello all, Just upgrade to a 2019 Keystone cougar 369bhs 5th wheel. We plan on mostly dry camping and was interested to know if I can mount my Honda EU3000 generator on a cargo tray using the 2 inch rear hitch. Etrailer has a nice 24x27 cargo tray that goes into the hitch. My question is has anyone done this and can a 165lb generator damage the hitch and/or frame of the coach? I know there is some serious bouncing going on back there during travel. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks
Autoteacher56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:27 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoteacher56 View Post
Hello all, Just upgrade to a 2019 Keystone cougar 369bhs 5th wheel. We plan on mostly dry camping and was interested to know if I can mount my Honda EU3000 generator on a cargo tray using the 2 inch rear hitch. Etrailer has a nice 24x27 cargo tray that goes into the hitch. My question is has anyone done this and can a 165lb generator damage the hitch and/or frame of the coach? I know there is some serious bouncing going on back there during travel. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks
Welcome to the forum.

The two questions in red:

First, your generator is 165 pounds when it's sitting still. Travel down the highway and when it bounces, it may exert significantly more weight on that 300 pound capacity rear cargo tray. Potentially as much as 5 to 10 times the 165 pounds.....

Second, Inverter generators are considered "sensitive electronics". "serious bouncing" can be related to dropping your generator from 5' repeatedly, or possibly similar to taking a baseball bat and beating your generator "repeatedly around the sensitive parts"..... Would you do that and expect it to still be "happy to operate normally" ???

There are many forum threads related to the pros and cons of using a cargo tray on the rear of a travel trailer or a fifth wheel.

Use our search feature (SEARCH tab in the top black header bar) with the term, "cargo tray". That'll get you started.

You might consider traveling with your generator in the truck bed, forward of the fifth wheel hitch. It's much smoother there and the generator can be secured to the bed using the bed tie-down or the bed stake pocket hole in that corner of the truck bed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:15 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

To John's point above. Think of taking a 165 lb. man and envision him jumping up and down on a hitch hualer tray. Once you think of the laver arm that tray creates hanging out the hitch that 165 lbs is increased setting still, much less bouncing down our smooth highways. ��
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:22 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I'll chime in and have to agree with everything said prior. I would never think of putting that much weight on a suspended platform on a receiver supported by an RV frame.....they are barely capable of supporting the weight of the trailer. The effects of that much weight bouncing all over one of those trays has been seen my far too many people (including myself) as they self destruct. The truck bed is a far better place to carry it. An inverter gen has electronics in it that don't react well to being constantly pounded. If you contemplate it at all be sure and contemplate a rear camera to watch it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:37 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

In 2009 I hauled a Kipor 3000W gen across the country. It sat in the bed, in front of the hitch and behind the tool box. 8500 miles and no harm.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:43 PM   #6
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoteacher56 View Post
I have the 308BHS which is essentially the same but one less slide (we were going to buy the 369 but they sold it while we went on holidays and were deciding, I can tell you we only use the back tray for light stuff as in two kids kyacks I strap on there when I go to the lake. there have been issue with cracks in the slide frames, and its really questionable whether you should put 300lbs on it.. it is sold as a bike rack for normal bike. and it does bounce around like crazy if you hit bumps. I would stuff the genny in the truck box either ahead or behind the hitch myself. then you can chain it in.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:54 PM   #7
GlasNav

I agree with all of those that are warning you of carrying a generator in a receiver mounted cargo tray. I did it for one trip and never again, even with shims slid into the receiver to bounced around too much, and that could be seen thru the furrow rear camera.

However, I did mount a truckers box on the back and haven't experienced any issues, no bouncing, and the generator works fine every time we pull it out of the box. Note that we do place padding all around it to minimize any movement.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...3&postcount=16
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6905.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	46302  

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:34 PM   #8
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
I agree with all of those that are warning you of carrying a generator in a receiver mounted cargo tray. I did it for one trip and never again, even with shims slid into the receiver to bounced around too much, and that could be seen thru the furrow rear camera.

However, I did mount a truckers box on the back and haven't experienced any issues, no bouncing, and the generator works fine every time we pull it out of the box. Note that we do place padding all around it to minimize any movement.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...3&postcount=16
its not a receiver mounted carrier, the whole bumper pulls out and makes a 3x7 platform that has a post for putting bikes on, so it is braced by two 2x2 steel posts that go through a roller system on the two frame rails that you lock in position with pins. its a neat set up and one I like just not for something that heavy. its way way stronger than anything bumper mounted but better for light things, I think it has a 300lbs max weight rating but it does bounce around being at the back of the unit. I only load up to 150ish lbs. on it max and I have been safe but you can see it when your driving so I don't put anything valuable or sensitive to jerking around on it.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:22 AM   #9
NH_Bulldog

I think the reason the OP wanted to put the generator on the rear rack is the weight. Although I don’t think the generator weighs 165 pounds even with fuel, I can’t imagine lifting that beast any more than absolutely necessary.

I don’t want to steer this into a brand preference conversation, but currently I run a Generac GP3000i at 65 lbs fueled. It is quieter (53db) than a Honda and can power my 30a trailer. The generator is still small enough and light enough to fit almost anywhere. For the price of the Generac, I can pick up a second unit and parallel kit and easily power a 50a camper and still be $1,000 less than a single Honda.

If you already own and like the Honda, then you probably have to live with it, weight and all. But you might want to consider two smaller generators for ease of use and transportation. It also gives you the option of running only one if your power needs are low.

Regardless of brand, there are plenty of smaller, quieter, lighter and less costly options out there that might suit your needs better, so shop around a bit!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:19 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I think the reason the OP wanted to put the generator on the rear rack is the weight. Although I don’t think the generator weighs 165 pounds even with fuel, I can’t imagine lifting that beast any more than absolutely necessary.

I don’t want to steer this into a brand preference conversation, but currently I run a Generac GP3000i at 65 lbs fueled. It is quieter (53db) than a Honda and can power my 30a trailer. The generator is still small enough and light enough to fit almost anywhere. For the price of the Generac, I can pick up a second unit and parallel kit and easily power a 50a camper and still be $1,000 less than a single Honda.

If you already own and like the Honda, then you probably have to live with it, weight and all. But you might want to consider two smaller generators for ease of use and transportation. It also gives you the option of running only one if your power needs are low.

Regardless of brand, there are plenty of smaller, quieter, lighter and less costly options out there that might suit your needs better, so shop around a bit!
Honda website says the generator weighs 130.7 lbs dry weight and has over 3 gallons fuel capacity so once you add oil and fuel you are over 150 lbs. Problem with putting the generator in the truck bed is that it will have to be lifted out and stashed under some sort of cover if it is raining (or snowing) as this type generator should operate in the elements. It would probably be easiest to haul out and put under the front of a 5th wheel if it is raining but the noise (even an inverter generator) under the bedroom may be an issue for some.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:02 AM   #11
oldnjrver

One option you might consider is a front mounted hitch on your tv, to which you could mount a carrier. I've carried with my 100 lb Onan cummins P4500i inverter with no problem for the last 5 years.

Safe travels and all the best.
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, generator, keystone