Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2024, 07:29 AM   #1
jerseyphil

2024 Cougar Sport 2400RE Fifth Wheel

I'm thinking of buying the Cougar Sport 2400RE 5th Wheel.

HITCH QUESTION:
Slider Hitches are much heavier than non-sliders. At 77 years old, I'm thinking of getting the B&W non-slider for my 2022 F350 SuperDuty Short Bed that has the Ford Prep Puck Mounting system.
I think the 5th wheel 2400RE would be OK with that since it has the front shape made for easier turning.
ANYONE HAVE THIS SETUP? What is your experience.

Thanks,
Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:03 AM   #2
RollaMo

I am pulling a Cougar 24RDS (same front cap design).
Using the regular B&W non slider hitch in my 2019 GMC 2500.

Not sure how the manufacturers differ on bed nomenclature though.
GM uses Short, Standard, and Long.
I don't know of any HD trucks (Ford or GM) using an actual short bed.

So, I believe that your short bed is the same length as a GM standard bed.
GM standard bed is 6' 6"
Short bed (only on the 1/2 ton trucks) is 5' 8"

Anyway, I have no issues with my 24RDS and B&W Companion non slider hitch.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:32 PM   #3
fjr vfr

I have no trouble backing at 90 degrees with my Ram standard 6'4" bed. My trailer also has a curved front. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the same for you.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:41 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Just recently I took a 2023 Cougar Half-Ton for a test tow with my 2022 Crew Cab “short” bed F250. I have a B&W Patriot 16k fixed (non-slider) hitch and I had no issues with turning clearances.

Ford has two bed sizes in the Super Duty; Long (8’) and Short (6’ 9”). They abbreviate them as LB and SB.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:51 AM   #5
jerseyphil

my truck's bed - 6ft 9inches

I didn't think I would have any trouble using the non-slider with my 6ft 9in bed.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
As always, this forum is FABULOUS
Old 02-29-2024, 05:37 AM   #6
cougar23

I like my B&W slider. I slide it back to hitch up, no worry about tail gate hitting camper. Plus I can see the hitch better when it is slid back. I DO NOT tow in back position.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:16 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyphil View Post
I didn't think I would have any trouble using the non-slider with my 6ft 9in bed.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
As always, this forum is FABULOUS
I've been towing with a Ford SB SuperDuty since 2015 and have never had any situation where I was unable to maneuver because of limited trailer/cab clearance. When you get down to "apples to apples" comparisons, EVERY owner of a travel trailer is limited to not more than about 45-50 degrees before the trailer corner hits their tow vehicle tail lights. There is NO SLIDER HITCH available for a WD hitch application. Every one of them manages with a max of about 45 degrees of maneuverability. Even with a "non-slider hitch", you'll have significantly more maneuverability than all of them. Granted, you may not have the ability to "twist your rig to 90 degrees" but in reality, doing that puts so much stress on the trailer suspension that you risk tearing the tires off the rims or destroying your trailer spring hangers in the process, and that doesn't even include what you'd be doing to your bearings and hubs.....

IMO, fifth wheels are not designed to "back at 90 degrees", at least the Keystone suspension systems "stuck together "with care" by a Lippert welder" aren't heavy duty enough to withstand the stress of such maneuvers.

I'd say that you'll be fine with a non-sliding hitch, just pay attention to where you back the rig and don't get into a situation that you'll look back on while thinking, "That was stupid, why'd I even attempt it".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:52 AM   #8
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When you get down to "apples to apples" comparisons, EVERY owner of a travel trailer is limited to not more than about 45-50 degrees before the trailer corner hits their tow vehicle tail lights. There is NO SLIDER HITCH available for a WD hitch application. Every one of them manages with a max of about 45 degrees of maneuverability. Even with a "non-slider hitch", you'll have significantly more maneuverability than all of them. Granted, you may not have the ability to "twist your rig to 90 degrees" but in reality, doing that puts so much stress on the trailer suspension that you risk tearing the tires off the rims or destroying your trailer spring hangers in the process, and that doesn't even include what you'd be doing to your bearings and hubs.....

IMO, fifth wheels are not designed to "back at 90 degrees".....
Yeah, I don't understand why some owners are so obsessed with the ability for 90 degree turns when backing.
As you said, you sure couldn't even come close to that with a bumper pull trailer and I see more of them than 5th wheels.

And you will cause extreme wear (if not out right damage), the trailer suspension and/or tires on those type of backing turns.
At 90 degrees backing you are pushing your trailer tires more sideways than you are rolling backwards.

I came from 3 years of pulling a bumper pull before moving to a 5th wheel.
I have never had the need to get any tighter turns with the 5th wheel than I did with the bumper pull.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:34 AM   #9
jerseyphil

Even MORE Thanks

Once Again,
Thanks everyone.
Your input is Excellent.

Non-Slider will be my choice.

Phil
Old 02-29-2024, 10:41 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I know the decision on hitch has been made but want to make one more comment on trying to back at 90 degrees. You can't/don't "back" at 90 degrees, it's physically impossible. With the trailer tires at a 90 degree angle to the direction the truck is backing all you are doing is PUSHING the tires of the trailer sideways. Tried that in my property next door on dirt so I could see what is happening - just big ruts as the tires were pushed sideways trying to peel the tires from the wheels.

The bad part about the above is that as you do this you can also see the stress/damage it is doing to your suspension as it tries to twist springs, shackles, hangers etc. sideways. Those components from the factory are very light weight and can easily self destruct with normal use without ever trying to abuse them doing a sharp turn. After watching the effects of that little exercise I made up my mind to upgrade the entire suspension; springs, hangers, shackles bolts, axles etc. and add MorRyde xfactor braces because the lateral forces are much more than the suspension components were designed for. At 45-50 degrees a trailer should be able to maneuver into nearly any space that was meant to allow a trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:24 PM   #11
Cowbell

B & W companion

I have the 350 with 6.9 bed and puck system. I use the B & W companion. This hitch disassembles in 2 parts. Easy one person in and out removal and installation. You will be very happy with this choice. Clearance is not a problem. I have a trifold extang bed cover that stays mounted and folded while pulling the trailer. It clears with no problem while traveling and folds down to cover bed after dropping trailer.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 07:41 AM   #12
flyingjack

B&W Companion; both pieces for sale cheap. Need room in garage and not using anymore. Make offer: 27 NNW of Denver; but, we're traveling to N AR in late May.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 07:38 PM   #13
rogerinamarillo

Hitch choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyphil View Post
I'm thinking of buying the Cougar Sport 2400RE 5th Wheel.

HITCH QUESTION:
Slider Hitches are much heavier than non-sliders. At 77 years old, I'm thinking of getting the B&W non-slider for my 2022 F350 SuperDuty Short Bed that has the Ford Prep Puck Mounting system.
I think the 5th wheel 2400RE would be OK with that since it has the front shape made for easier turning.
ANYONE HAVE THIS SETUP? What is your experience.

Thanks,
Phil
Phil, have you considered a Reese Goosebox? It will work with your Ford puck system. Reese makes a 16k and a 20k Goosebox and the Goosebox doesn't void Lippert's warranty. All you have to install and remove from your bed is the quick-release ball and tie-down lugs if used.
rogerinamarillo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, fifth wheel