Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

Parallax 6345 power converter

We have had our 2002 Keystone Cougar 5ver (27 ft) for about a year. No issues with the Parallax 6345 power converter till the last time out. It is the original and is 16 years old.

Camping this last weekend, temps were in the triple digits for the four days at the RV park. We have a 30A shore power service and the power converter is 45A.

During the hottest times of the day, the main and A/C fuses tripped often. No bueno. Feeling these breakers, they were HOT. I did some research and found some guy camping in Arizona under similar temps had the same problem and when he directed a small fan at the open power converter in his trailer, the circuit breaker popping issue stopped. I directed a small fan at our power converter and the breaker issue also stopped.

I suspect either the fan is dead OR there is a 140 degree thermostat that kicks the fan on may have died. In any case, when I get the time, I will check the fan and probably replace the thermostat; might even put a small 110V muffin fan in to supplement cooling. The Parallax company seems to have morphed into Magnetek but they are selling the same units (6300 series) under both names.

If yours breakers pop under higher temps, this note may be of some use.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If the circuit breakers are hot, I'd suspect a low voltage condition which causes increased amperage flow. With triple digit temperatures, chances are that everyone in the campground is running as many air conditioners as they have on their roof, making an even greater demand on the campground grid.

While there may be some problems with old circuit breakers and cooling fans, my first suspicion would be low voltage input to the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If the circuit breakers are hot, I'd suspect a low voltage condition which causes increased amperage flow. With triple digit temperatures, chances are that everyone in the campground is running as many air conditioners as they have on their roof, making an even greater demand on the campground grid.

While there may be some problems with old circuit breakers and cooling fans, my first suspicion would be low voltage input to the trailer.
I am thinking the same thing. Without any kind of EMS you’ll never know what the voltage is coming into the trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #4
TheGriz

If you have a Volt/Ohm Meter (multi-meter), you can check your RV voltage.

If you want more capability, a "P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor" (without getting into a full blown EMS) plugged into any of the RV's AC outlets will allow you to continually monitor the Voltage coming into your RV...~$18 on ebay.

Yes I agree, low voltage equates to higher current (amps). Higher current equates to HEAT (not good)!

Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, power