Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
Bolo4u

Ram factory puck system

When I purchased my 2015 Ram 2500 (now upgraded to a 2017 Ram 3500 DRW) I installed the factory 5th wheel puck system myself. The process is fairly easy with the 2500, but its a little more involved with the 3500, as the bed does have to be unbolted and lifted, one side at a time.

I have read a few stories where, despite following the directions for the bed hole measurements, the holes drilled through the bed were off, in some instances 3/8 inch or more, enough to affect the trim bushing being installed.

In the my prior truck, to aid in drilling the holes, and hopefully avoid them being off center, I made a thick cardboard template the same diameter as the circular portion of the front vs. rear pucks and mark the templates relative to forward and inside, then measure the dimensions as per the directions, and drill a little (like 1/8 inch) through the bed and through the template. After I was finished, I was still off slightly for one of the pucks, but it wasn’t a problem as the trim bushing flange covered the offset and still looks centered when the puck is exposed.

As far as the hole size needed to be drilled through the bed, the directions called for a 3 3/4 hole saw, but I used a 3 5/8 and didn't have any problem with the trim ring being snapped on. If you still need to purchase a hole saw, you could take the bushing with you and get a saw slightly larger than the portion that attaches to the puck. This is where being a centered as possible would be even more critical…

Since I will soon be installing the factory pucks in the new truck, I will be using the same method, but with a slight change in the process. I have the templates taped on to help keep them centered and hopefully avoid them from moving around as I drill the initial, tiny pilot hole. Then I can un-tape the template, set it in the bed, align it properly and see if I need to make any adjustments prior to drilling the big hole.

I hope this info helps anyone considering installing the factory pucks in their Ram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Puck template.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	12422  
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
nellie1289

Wow. Anyone considering a new truck Just pay the $400 for the option and it comes with the plug in the bed for your trailer too! Not knocking you OP just saying ! Great post overall.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
Wow. Anyone considering a new truck Just pay the $400 for the option and it comes with the plug in the bed for your trailer too! Not knocking you OP just saying ! Great post overall.

I agree 100%.

I have a Ford but it did not come with the factory 5er/goose prep. If I ever get another one, I'll make sure to order it installed from the factory.

The good news is, Ford has small dimples in the bed where you drill. Should make for an easy install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
I agree 100%.

I have a Ford but it did not come with the factory 5er/goose prep. If I ever get another one, I'll make sure to order it installed from the factory.

The good news is, Ford has small dimples in the bed where you drill. Should make for an easy install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Took less than 5 hours and an 18 pack for me and a much younger buddy to install the pucks and a set of airbags on my F250... Took about 3 hours for a hitch store to swap the puck system from my F250 to the dually... course there was 3 of them young fellows crawling all over both trucks...
Old 04-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
True, but the MOPAR OEM part and MOPAR trailer harness cost me about $300 off eBay. Plus its sort of theraputic working on my own stuff.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
nellie1289

So 100$ savings to do it yourself ? No thanks !
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
Desert185

Bolo:

Thanks for taking the time and posting your experience in the event anyone else would enjoy a DIY installation.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I am the most unhandy guy in the world. It always looks interesting but mine never turns out like the pictures on Pinterest!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #9
PatQuezada

I'm taking a similar plunge

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 with the Ram Boxes that I bought last November. I bought what was on the lot. I did not know at the time the 5th wheel prep option and the ram box option mutually exclude each other. The truck we saw next to the one we ended up buying did have the 5th wheel prep. I seem to recall the salesman saying it would be possible to add.(yes, i know what the responses will be to this one)
Now, 11 months later we just ordered what will be our first fifth wheel camper. it will arrive probably in eight weeks. So now comes the part about preparing for a hitch. I will try to install the puck system. I ordered the parts today, that is both the 5th wheel prep kit and the goose neck kit, about $500 total.
I even tried to find a local shop that would do the install and would have gladly paid a competent shop for their ability to correctly locate the 5 big holes required. No such luck. I even called back to the original salesman who said our dealership would not do that, they'd have to farm it out, but I got no answer to the next question which was , what shop do I take this to?
Looks like I'm going to have to put my new shiny truck under the knife myself.
The instructions for the kit tell me to loosen bolts on one side and remove them from the other in order to raise the bed for clearance. Did you do this with your 2500 puck install? How much clearance did you really need? Did you have to remove the filler for the gas or in my case do you think I'll have to remove the filler for the diesel & DEF? What other helpful hints might you have? I'm going to duplicate your paper template on top of the pucks method so I can see where the small drill bit ends up relative to the pucks and then I'll be able to make slight adjustment as needed. But any further hints / suggestions anyone knowledgeable with this can provide will be a blessing. It doesn't appear ( and I've been combing the internet for months) that too many have tried this. I guess we'll be somewhat of a special club.
PatQuezada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #10
Snoking

I did my own 3 years ago on our 2015. I drilled the first pilot hole and then used a bent piece of wire to feel around for the correct centering of the hole saw. I then did my offsets off this first hole. 3 3/4" was ordered from Amazon as it is not a standard size stocked at box stores.

https://www.amazon.com/MK-Morse-MHS6...3%2F4+hole+saw

I lifted the bed only a few inches one side at a time and no hoses had to be disconnected. The bed bolts were VERY tight with a loc-tight stuff on them OEM.

Having a helper would make it a 2 hour job. I did it myself including the 7 pin outlet in 4 hours.

Chris
Old 09-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatQuezada View Post
I have a 2017 Ram 2500 with the Ram Boxes that I bought last November. I bought what was on the lot. I did not know at the time the 5th wheel prep option and the ram box option mutually exclude each other. The truck we saw next to the one we ended up buying did have the 5th wheel prep. I seem to recall the salesman saying it would be possible to add.(yes, i know what the responses will be to this one)
Now, 11 months later we just ordered what will be our first fifth wheel camper. it will arrive probably in eight weeks. So now comes the part about preparing for a hitch. I will try to install the puck system. I ordered the parts today, that is both the 5th wheel prep kit and the goose neck kit, about $500 total.
I even tried to find a local shop that would do the install and would have gladly paid a competent shop for their ability to correctly locate the 5 big holes required. No such luck. I even called back to the original salesman who said our dealership would not do that, they'd have to farm it out, but I got no answer to the next question which was , what shop do I take this to?
Looks like I'm going to have to put my new shiny truck under the knife myself.
The instructions for the kit tell me to loosen bolts on one side and remove them from the other in order to raise the bed for clearance. Did you do this with your 2500 puck install? How much clearance did you really need? Did you have to remove the filler for the gas or in my case do you think I'll have to remove the filler for the diesel & DEF? What other helpful hints might you have? I'm going to duplicate your paper template on top of the pucks method so I can see where the small drill bit ends up relative to the pucks and then I'll be able to make slight adjustment as needed. But any further hints / suggestions anyone knowledgeable with this can provide will be a blessing. It doesn't appear ( and I've been combing the internet for months) that too many have tried this. I guess we'll be somewhat of a special club.
The reason the Ram Box and Puck system is not a available together is that with the Ram Box the current extended pin box will hit the side of the bed. You will need to find a short pin box Reese makes a pin box that rotates at the back for short beds.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #12
PatQuezada

Yep, clearance between the bed rails if you have the Ram boxes is an issue. Mine allow clearance of 50-1/2" between the rails, if I recall right I measured a conventional bed at around 63" and some change. My camper will be a Montana HC 330RL. It comes OEM with a Lippert 1116 pin box assy. According to the diagram I found for Lippert pin boxes, Lippert refers to the 1116 as a retracted pin box. I've researched stuff like this since just after we bought the truck, but I kinda had to wait until my better half narrowed down the exact camper for us as there are many kinds of pin boxes out there. Irregardless of floor plan / model, I knew clearance would be an issue and had also seen the same response from others regarding the Ram box. Yep, had I known then what I know now I would likely have rejected the Ram boxes at the time I purchased the truck. I would have made a different selection. ( but I'm glad I didn't know then what I know now - a topic for a country song and another thread / post)
I've decided upon the Reese 5th airborne sidewinder as a solution. Reese # 61412 fits in place of Lippert's 1116 pin box. I reviewed a lot of material on this including a Trailer Life magazine review from a few years back. In that article the author stated that the sidewinder would allow even a step side pick up to hitch a 5th wheel camper as the clearance was then not an issue.
I believe it will work in my case.
I'm very delighted to hear of a Ram truck with diesel engine with just 311K miles.
PatQuezada is offline   Reply With Quote