Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
msubobcats

Stinking seals leaking again!!!

Probably halfway to Bend Or and noticed the brakes tend to be grabbing. After setting up in Bend felt around the wheels and noticed grease. It has been maybe 2000-2500 since that last happened. REALLY IRRITATING!!!!!
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
Probably halfway to Bend Or and noticed the brakes tend to be grabbing. After setting up in Bend felt around the wheels and noticed grease. It has been maybe 2000-2500 since that last happened. REALLY IRRITATING!!!!!
Are you pumping grease into the zerks on the spindles? If so DON'T! Handpack annually!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
shov

Bobcat
X2 on Hand pumping the axels. I wouldn’t ever use that option. Nothing but potential problems. With that said if they have ever been Hand pumped the seal may already be broken. Sorry to hear of your troubles
shov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ X3. NEVER EVER pump grease into the hubs !!! Some do it and don't have problems, but NONE of them can tell you with any certainty what the condition of the bearings, races or seals is when they are pumping that grease into the hub space and whether the end result is 100% reliable.

To go a bit further, the grease seal is nothing more than a rubber bushing that retains grease in the hub. It is "durable" but it's also fragile. Overpressurizing it can force grease past the space and/or it can tear the rubber, permanently destroying its ability to keep the grease contained.

To add insult to injury, I've witnessed many people install hand packed bearings, properly install new grease seals and during hub installation, "hang" the hub on the spindle while pushing it into position and completely destroy the seal surface in the process. So, even if hand packed and carefully inspected, a "klutz" can do as much damage to a seal during installation as a grease gun can do to it when overfilling the hub space.

While it's not "brain surgery" hub/spindle/bearing maintenance is not a "bigger hammer event".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
msubobcats

We only had this unit for probably a year and three or fours months when this same thing happened to the other side. Our total mileage on this is maybe just over 5000 miles. As to my knowledge no one has ever touched the side that is now leaking.
Tomorrow morning at 8am we are having this issue repaired. Just a bit unhappy.
To top off the trip we stopped at the rest area outside of Sprague on 90. Took off and heard that dreaded tick tick tick noise. Severalmore times it happened after stops... Well, we had the front u joint, rear u joint and the center support bearing replaced today. Been a very unforgettable trip and is only in its second day☺☺☺😀😀😀
Old 09-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #6
travelin texans

Rv ownership! Sometimes you're the windshield & sometimes you're the bug!! Memorable misadventures!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #7
Andymil

Both seals on the right side of our Sprinter were leaking. The EZ Lube or whatever it’s called was never used. After cleaning the axle I pumped grease through the axles before assembly and no old grease came out. I think the seals were damaged when the axles were assembled at the factory.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #8
msubobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Rv ownership! Sometimes you're the windshield & sometimes you're the bug!! Memorable misadventures!
So true. We will not soon forget this trip😀😀😀
On top of it we had to have our driveline redone. Were very fortunate to find a place that could fit us in so quickly... HATS OFF TO WADE BRYANT AUTO in Bend Or...
Then took the truck to Les Schwab for the wheel bearings first thing Thursday morning. (Patti had noticed driving to the shop that the brakes were not grabbing) Dropped off the truck, walked 200 yards to Sharis Restaurant for breakfasy and by the time we were halfway through Scwabs called and said NO PROBLEMS with the bearings. They adjusted the brakes and sent us on our way. Back on the road by 9am!!!!!😀😀😀😀😀 And NO CHARGE!!! HATS OFF TO LES SCHWAB SOUTH in Bend Or...
We were almost to our next spot, Likely Place Golf and RV Resort (LOVE THIS PLACE) and hit some really bad road construction, very bumpy. Well, go to 9:30 pm, Patti reaches into the fridge and it wasn't working😬😬😬😬😬 Turned it on/off a few times, got up at 6:50am and it was back to normal. No ideas what happened there😀😀😀 Thank goodness for the cooler in the truck to keep everything cold...
Yep, have no idea what would have caused the brakes to start grabbing and then suddenly stop...
And in the road construction the bumps were so bad, creeping along some clown passed us in the pilot car caravan. So bumpy the light fixture over our dining table dropped off.
But our adventure continues... Yep, unforgettable!!!😀😀😀😀😀
Old 09-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #9
johnlewis

Yep, RVing can be unforgettable. I remind myself of the good times, when I'm not unforgetting the bad times. Had a hard three months on the road this summer. Did more fixing and spent more money in shops than we did the 16 months we full timed. Regardless, I'm ready to go again. I guess I love the pain, but I know I love the fun things we do while travelling.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #10
MotownJG

After reading this, I'm wondering if my multi-decade-experienced brother-in-law is right or not - he's told me to attach to the zerk fitting and pump grease into the bearing until it starts coming out the sides.

Sounds from what I read above that this is a big NO NO.
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
cavediver

Yes that would be a NO-NO that grease would go directly to your brakes.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak