Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #21
pakuma

Just got the same truck. I purchased a PullRite 2500 series hitch. Easy in and out. Very easy to hook up to the trailer.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #22
LewisB

Safety chains with Gooseneck?

With varying requirements...maybe look at it from the other end of the dog.

Local LEO has the ability to stop you and prohibit your vehicle from being moved if he considers it to be unsafe. So if this happens, you get to pay the fine, then call someone, buy a set of safety chains and get them installed on the road before you can move your vehicle. Sounds like a good way to ruin your day.

When I bought my Ford gooseneck kit for the puck system, it included pucks for safety chains. Seems like pretty cheap insurance to get them now rather than potentially have to buy them on the road. It might be a bit more safe if involved in an accident with another vehicle and it is one less thing the lawyers will have to nail to you. IMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:54 AM   #23
Dme2golf

I use the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch and love it. It can removed/installed in 5 minutes. Very easy to connect and tows very smoothly. I use the chains as well.

2017 GMC 2500HD Denali
2018 Keystone Cougar 284RDBWE
Dme2golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #24
Pilgrim4987

You might check on Curt fifth wheels. I have a Ram 2500 with the puck system. Purchased a Curt Q24. It was a little less expensive than the B&W brand. Just towed our Montana HC 37’ on a 800 mile round trip and it did great.
Pilgrim4987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #25
BSandersAZ

New hitch?

I skipped the bulky 5th hitch altogether and put a ball in the bed. I bought the Reese Goose Box and air bags. Rides like a dream and it has been challenged in the Rockies. Flip the ball over and you have your whole truck bed!
Best Brad
BSandersAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #26
blue1069

I have a 2017 Ram and Had the dealer install The factory prep system for Gooseneck ball and got the Anderson aluminum set up and works beautiful no problems Nevada to Wisconsin and back Without a problem with a short bed.
blue1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #27
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Brent,

Have you done any research on the requirement for chains with that system? In Michigan, if I'm reading the towing requirements properly, if there is a "ball hitch" (gooseneck or bumper connection) the trailer must be secured to the tow vehicle with safety chains. I don't see much enforcement (well, I haven't seen any enforcement) of the requirement, but then I'm not specifically looking either. I do know that in Traverse City last summer, a camper towing a fifth wheel with a gooseneck hitch pulled out of the state park campground, was involved in an accident (he pulled out in front of a car that didn't (couldn't??) stop) He was cited for causing the accident and was also cited for not having safety chains.

Just wondering if you've done any research in that area ???
I'm a bit late seeing your post John. But, yes I did some research, but that only involved calling PullRite. They told me there is no state that requires safety chains for their hitch. They said that quite confidently, for what that's worth. Either just before or just after I bought the hitch I bought a Curt gooseneck kit...safety chains and loops for the Ram pucks. My issue is connecting the chains to the pin box hitch. I think Andersen sells long shanked eye bolts for their hitch. I should call PullRite again and ask about metallurgy for eye bolts. There is the issue of say, desiring a grade 5 bolt so that it would bend rather than a grade 8 that would shear.
Yes I have sat in too many "Management of Change" meetings. LOL
If I had it to do all over I would go straight to a Reese Goosebox. I just saw one at the races in Charlotte that is 20K rated but 4K pin weight. I thought they were all 16K. That's a little light on pin weight for me. That gooseneck ball being the only thing in the bed between towing and a clean bed sure looks appealing.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #28
Chernandez

Have you looked into the Andersen Hitches. We have on our Ford and GMC. Work great
Chernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #29
toolittletime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
One option, put a Reese goosebox on your 5r and you can use the OEM gooseneck prep. BW sells a kit that has a gooseneck ball and safety chain anchors that lock into the rear pucks. Awesome quality and light.

This is exactly what I did......love it. Nothing in the bed when not towing, except the ball that is easily removed and weighs about 2 pounds.

Tim
toolittletime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #30
Grenel

I would look at Comfort Ride. They make a great hitch which eliminates chucking and has a baffle system to smooth out the ride. They are pricey but well worth the money. Love mine. Hope this helps
Grenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #31
travelin texans

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1069 View Post
I have a 2017 Ram and Had the dealer install The factory prep system for Gooseneck ball and got the Anderson aluminum set up and works beautiful no problems Nevada to Wisconsin and back Without a problem with a short bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernandez View Post
Have you looked into the Andersen Hitches. We have on our Ford and GMC. Work great
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSandersAZ View Post
I skipped the bulky 5th hitch altogether and put a ball in the bed. I bought the Reese Goose Box and air bags. Rides like a dream and it has been challenged in the Rockies. Flip the ball over and you have your whole truck bed!
Best Brad
I'd have to go with the Goose Box!
Never have been able to convince myself that that flimsy looking Anderson hitch would be up to task with 2500-4000 pounds of pin weight regardless of what everyone raves about! Especially the lightweight 1" aluminum model, just doesn't seem physically possible!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #32
Laredo250RL

Adapter plate

If you want to keep your fifth wheel hitch that fits into the old industry standard rail (ISR) system, you can go with an ISR adapter plate for Dodge. It goes into the new puck system in the truck bed and enables old fifth wheel hitches to be installed. That's what I did with my new 2019 GMC 3500HD.

I am not recommending this Reese model, just linking it as an example of what is available. https://www.reesehitches.com/product...oaAmf_EALw_wcB
Laredo250RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #33
gfspiering

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne564 View Post
Hello,

I just got a new 2019 Ram 2500, and my old fifth wheel won't fit the new fifth wheel prep package on the 2500. anyone have any suggestions on a new fifth wheel Hitch, I know Mopar makes one for it, I didn't know if there were any other compatible with the prep package.
I pull a Cougar 245 5th wheel with a 2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax using a gooseneck ball mounted in the bed and a Reese Goose Box on the trailer. It pulls quite smooth and I can use the pickup bed just by turning the ball over.
gfspiering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:02 AM   #34
slimchancepistolero

B&W Companion

i have a 2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn with the 5th whl prep (pucks) i bought the B&W Companion for the Ram pucks from eTrailer.com ... VERY hapy with this setup .... easy to hook and unhook level or not and off angle ... NO noise while driving ... pulling a Cougar 29RDB ... happy camper all around
2010 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 195rb
2019 Ram 1500 Larime Hemi w/eTorque quad cab
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L Hemi 5th whl prep
slimchancepistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #35
Peacemkr53

Hitch for RAM 2500

I have a 2015 RAM 2500 with an 8 foot bed, so I have a fixed hitch, not a slider. I use a Curt 24K puck. Drop in and rotate the wings (cams), set the pins.....hook up and go. I have not had an issue. Also, if the tow pkg is on the truck there should be a 7 point electric hitch on the driver's side of the truck bed. Happy Trails!
Peacemkr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #36
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'm a bit late seeing your post John. But, yes I did some research, but that only involved calling PullRite. They told me there is no state that requires safety chains for their hitch. They said that quite confidently, for what that's worth. Either just before or just after I bought the hitch I bought a Curt gooseneck kit...safety chains and loops for the Ram pucks. My issue is connecting the chains to the pin box hitch. I think Andersen sells long shanked eye bolts for their hitch. I should call PullRite again and ask about metallurgy for eye bolts. There is the issue of say, desiring a grade 5 bolt so that it would bend rather than a grade 8 that would shear.
Yes I have sat in too many "Management of Change" meetings. LOL
If I had it to do all over I would go straight to a Reese Goosebox. I just saw one at the races in Charlotte that is 20K rated but 4K pin weight. I thought they were all 16K. That's a little light on pin weight for me. That gooseneck ball being the only thing in the bed between towing and a clean bed sure looks appealing.
Update...I've been trading emails with PullRite and, behold!, they have a revised adapter plate that will accept safety chains. I have a new adapter on the way next week.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Update...I've been trading emails with PullRite and, behold!, they have a revised adapter plate that will accept safety chains. I have a new adapter on the way next week.
Good information to know. Apparently they got notice from someone that there's at least one state that disagrees with their assessment that their hitch doesn't require safety chains...

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that as more and more people get into fifth wheeling, the "exotic hitches" are going to get noticed more often by LEO's that apply their own interpretation to the situation. Whether they might be right, wrong, informed or misinformed, when you're on the side of the road on a Sunday afternoon with blue/red lights behind you is NOT the time to argue that "Pull-Rite told me"....

The more people that buy fifth wheels, the more potential for that to happen.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:42 AM   #38
gearhead

^^^Agree 100%.
PullRite told me that they re-engineered the adapter plate because some customers "just wanted to have chains".
A simpler solution would have been to replace the two 1/2" bolts that capture the adapter plate to the trailer pin with shouldered machinery eye bolts. Then they could do what Andersen does, sell the eye bolts as an accessory and make a few more bucks.
I know the 2 local state troopers that are on the "truck detail". They're sneaky! They use an unmarked Ford Taurus as a spotter and then call the marked unit for a pull over. Don't be thinking there ain't no cops around, you never know.
Road update...I-95 between Savannah and Jacksonville is in surprisingly good shape. But keep your eyes open, feral hogs are all along the right of way.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:03 AM   #39
Dieselpump

5th wheel

I highly recommend the BW 5th wheel. If your truck has the Puck system, they make one for it. I have the concert a ball system and wouldn't trade it for any other system. I had a rease that I should give away for scrap one day.
Dieselpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #40
wiredgeorge

Well what a surprise! Everyone who has a hitch recommended the one they currently own and called it the best thing since sliced bread. What truck brand is best? What brand of tires is best. SAME SAME... Mine is, of course (my buying decision reflects on my intelligence).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch