Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
LCrabtree

Question Fires

Has anyone on here had occasion to use the fire extinguisher (or any other) on a fire involving an RV (not limited to Keystone). If so, what was your experience?

I am a retired fire fighter with about 38 years of experience in that field.

I see long-haul trucks with extinguishers inside of external compartments. Keystone delivered our trailer with one tiny bizarre brand extinguisher mounted just inside the single door.

As a fire fighter all of the RV fires that I attended, and there were may, were complete losses. I cannot recall one incident where I responded to an RV fire that was slowed, contained, or controlled by hand held extinguishers?

Would one be just as well served to mount the extinguisher inside of one of the outside compartments such as on long-haul trucks?

I'm interested in your experience(s) ...

Larry
LCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
dwall

Never had an experience with a fire but knowing what materials are used in rv construction I would think the fire truck would need to be parked outside when it starts to have much of an effect on a fire. I would be more concerned about getting everyone safely away.
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
Cbrez

We replaced the factory extinguisher next to the exterior door with a slightly larger one. Also added an extinguisher in the bedroom closet. Third extinguisher goes in the rear of the truck. Realistically though I think I’d probably only use them as necessary to get out of the RV. I saw a TT burn a few summers ago. The fire department established a perimeter and watched until the propane tanks burned out before putting water on it. If they aren’t going to mess with it neither am I.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
Cyberian

I have an uncle who apparently didn't check the tire pressure or look in his mirrors often enough and melted a MiniWinnie down to a smoldering heap when an inside dual went flat, caught fire, and overheated the full propane tank to the point that the pop-off opened and of course turned the whole thing into a rolling inferno.

Wasn't an extinguisher on earth that would've likely helped by that point but the one they had was just inside the already on fire camper box door.

They got it parked on the shoulder and bailed out. Everybody was fine.

Who came up with putting the propane compartment behind the rear tires?
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
notanlines

About a year ago this came up in a similar post and I mentioned then that there does NOT need to be a fire extinguisher back in the kid's bedroom. It would indicate that one should stay and try to put out the fire. That is the LAST thing a child should think about. Screaming and quickly moving to the exit is job one!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
Pull Toy

CHEAP INSURANCE! ....(or survival)

First thing I do when we brought home all of our campers was to mount the "little white weenie" on my riding lawnmower! I then went to BJ's and bought 2 twin packs of the good ol' fashioned Kidde Red Bottles.

One unit went into the truck, one went into the entry doorway, one went into the 5er's bedroom. The fourth one is mounted in the hallway at home. After 20years of volunteer fire fighting, the trick is to get out alive, not necessarily save the rig.

Never had a camper fire, but did use the truck extinguisher when a plastic gas line sprung a leak on my '87 454 Chevy. if I didn't have an extinguisher in the cab... I would have lost the truck!

p.s. Always check that the Gauge is in the green, and give'r a good shake to unpack the powder, as part of your PTI!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
gearhead

Oh it's on fire?
I'll call State Farm sometime.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
CrazyCain

Had a pop up, electric short inside the canvas, lite the tent part of the pull out bed on fire...Thing was burning to no end. Grabbed the fire extinguisher and was able to put the damn thing out. The only reason i put it out was because it was right next to my house..Insurance totaled it. That's when the Hideout came into play.....

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I have a fire extinguishers located at both sides of the bed. I need to get a couple more and place them inside of my truck cab incase I have a fire (or someone else) if towing. And probably another 2 (placing one on each side)for the inside of my storage compartment.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #10
TJO

Will always have one in the bedroom as mentioned above more about getting out than saving the trailer in my eyes. Great responses from everyone.

Cheers Tom
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #11
Mainebear

I'm also a retired Fire fighter and purchased a 35' Alpine last week and laughed to myself when I saw the little extinguisher next to the entry door. I have since purchased 2 large Kidde 3A-10 ABC extinguishers to install into 5-er and will put at least 1 other one in truck cab that I already own.
Mainebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Those markings on comm trucks are to show a rescue person where a extinguisher is located. The driver already knows.
I have not put any RV fires out. I have been dispatched to a few motorized RVs on fire. All those were also too far gone to do anything except allow the fire guys to put lots of wet stuff on the red stuff.
I think the factory extinguishers are only good for a stove top type fire. Anymore than that and it's all about escape.
Not sure what good a extinguisher is in a locked storage area. Is anyone going to get it and use it to go in the RV and fight a fire. I know what I am not doing, going in a RV on fire unless equipped with fire clothing and breathing devices.
I was dumb enough to go into a burning house once. I learned as much as I tried I could not stand up and breath. I almost became a victim. Between smoke/flame and likely entrapment inside a burning RV, I am not going in.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #13
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
About a year ago this came up in a similar post and I mentioned then that there does NOT need to be a fire extinguisher back in the kid's bedroom. It would indicate that one should stay and try to put out the fire. That is the LAST thing a child should think about. Screaming and quickly moving to the exit is job one!
Excellent point. Would not have thought about that nuance.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:37 AM   #14
5J's

This is a topic not talked about but likely one of the most important. I ran across an item a while back that I've debated but never thought about sharing here, not sure why it didn't cross my mind. I'm not sure how well it works but in the midst of those most familiar with fire in likely to get some good feedback. Check out this YouTube video. https://youtu.be/Xu3g9mIfBWo

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #15
ken56

An important topic to be sure. I have concerns that my wife might not be agile enough to make it through the escape window if that became necessary. I have told her I would shove her butt out and then use her as a cushion if I have to if we can't get out the door.

I also have put an extinguisher in the bedroom and one in my truck along with the one that came with the trailer. Escape is the primary goal and to survive. The toxic fumes will get you before the fire ever did. Make sure you have fresh batteries in that smoke detector.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #16
captbozy

I believe the fire extinguisher is a requirement for sale of RV.
Therefore a small one will do.
It will handle a grease fire in a pan or small electrical or ordinary combustible fire.
Smoke and CO alarms are the first line of defense for life safety.
Buy good insurance and get out alive.
captbozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #17
takpak

I retired as a chief engineer of a high rise building. Fire protection and safety was part of my job. Regarding the "baby" extinguisher that comes with an RV, it's required. It is good for putting out a grease fire on the stove or a small electrical fire, but that's it. I've mounted a 10 pound extinguisher next to the door, one in the bedroom, and one in the basement. Also have one in the truck. As mentioned, it's basically got "get one's self out" and get away. RV's will go up in minutes. I also went a bit further and besides the original smoke detector in the hall, I installed one in the bedroom, and one in the basement, which is where most of the electrical, batteries, furnace, etc. are. Plus on ours it's right under the bedroom. I figure if something happens down there, I'll have an advanced warning. One word of caution; don't leave the basement door open when you have a campfire nearby. Smoke travels, and....well............sigh. At least I know it works!!!!
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #18
bobnelms

Fire extinguisher saved us

We had a fire on a wheel bearing under or cougar 5th wheel while traveling on an interstate. I saw smoke billowing out the back through my rear view camera. I pulled over to the side of the interstate ASAP looked under the rv and saw flames coming from the wheel area. I opened up the rv door and reached inside and grabbed the fire extinguisher. I creaked under the rv and aimed at the fire and pulled the trigger. Fire won't out. Could have been a disaster. Extinguisher saved us.
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #19
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
We had a fire on a wheel bearing under or cougar 5th wheel while traveling on an interstate. I saw smoke billowing out the back through my rear view camera. I pulled over to the side of the interstate ASAP looked under the rv and saw flames coming from the wheel area. I opened up the rv door and reached inside and grabbed the fire extinguisher. I creaked under the rv and aimed at the fire and pulled the trigger. Fire won't out. Could have been a disaster. Extinguisher saved us.
Exactly the intent of on board fire extinguishers. To stop a small fire and extinguish it before becoming a large one. I carry a few myself but will be adding to and upgrading the inventory after following this thread.
Good job bobnelms!
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #20
johnlewis

I agree with Ken / Claudia. We put a slightly larger extinguisher inside the entry door, but that was just to have a little more insurance if I got sloppy trying to put out a stovetop fire. Anything else, you need to get out quickly. The synthetic materials used in furniture and RV construction burn quickly. I've heard someone say you can have as little as 45 seconds to get out of an RV if it's on fire.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote